Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:19am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Magical Mystery Tour (Read 684 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Magical Mystery Tour
Feb 15th, 2009, 5:22pm

Peggy & I ,and several other LSR riders celebrated Valentines Day Smiley with a nice 204K ride that leaves from Lynn Creek Marnia in Grand Prairie.  

When we arrived at the marina at 6:30am for a 7:00am ride ,I mentioned to Peggy "I'm think I'm a little under dressed." It was cold(upper 30's with a brisk N/E wind). There were approx. 15 riders who showed up to ride the route.  

One of the LSR riders was passing out heart stickers to put on jackets ,with the joke being "don't loose your heart-on"(never a good thing).

As we left the Marina to our 2nd control(toward Ft. Worth) ,we rode past Bud's street(Bud ,you almost had several cyclists you for breakfast).  We rode into the control cold & ready to get warmed up at the convenience store. It was a relatively slow stop for this group. That was fine with me. At this point,I really wasn't into the ride.

As we headed out ,the sun came out & the temperature started to warm some. The group of 15 or so riders was still one big pack. At an information control at mile 39 ,one of the LSR riders wasn't feeling it ,& turned back. The rest of us kept going. Now onto Maypearl. The stretch of road on FM 66 is smooth & fast. SO Peggy & I used this opportunity to sprint off from the pack into Maypearl with the pack not far behind. Another slower than usual control in Maypearl, then were off to Italy.

Before we get to Italy mat mile 57 or so,is a hill that has a grade of 18-20%. It's short ,but I maxed my H/R on the route here(Bud ,this is where my chain came off last year me rode the route, with the dog waiting for us at the top).

We roll into Italy at the next control at around noon. A little faster stop. Up until this stop ,we enjoyed a tailwind. The fun was. We ride out of the control & pack was kicking up the effort. At that point ,one of the LSR riders mentioned to Peggy that the pace was too fast for them. Peggy & I dropped back to ride with this person.  The lead pack pulls away. Then Peggy say "Steve ,go catch the lead group & tell that we'll ride in with this rider." Were at mile mile 74 or so. There's an information control at mile 82.3.  

I sprint to catch them. I get close to the pack in Avalon. No dice. It's true ,a pack of riders is faster than a single rider. We were riding directly into a nasty headwind on Hwy 34. I finally catch the group just before the information control on FM 877.  

Just then Mark Metcalfe comes riding the opposite direction from us. Mark was out for a training ride. He stopped & chatted for a little while then rode on.

I waited for Peggy & the other rider at the information control. The the sun disappears. The ride then heads pretty much North & Northwest back to the marina(via a control at Waxahachie). At this point in the ride ,it was just cold. The other rider was struggling ,so the return trip was slow going. We arrived at the Marina at approx. 5:20pm(with heart shaped brownies on the exterior of the windshield. Man ,were those brownies good & very much appreciated). I was glad to be done as much as any recent ride I've ridden.

Shortly after getting our permanent signed & putting out bikes on the carrier ,it starts raining. Perfect. At least we were off the bikes.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Magical Mystery Tour
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2009, 9:23pm

Sounds more like a "Marginal Misery Tour" to me...  those days where it really never warms up are definitely tough ones, especially with headwinds!!!!  Good on ya, for staying with the other rider...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2009, 11:19pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Feb 17th, 2009, 9:23pm:
Sounds more like a "Marginal Misery Tour" to me...  those days where it really never warms up are definitely tough ones, especially with headwinds!!!!  Good on ya, for staying with the other rider...

And the previous Saturday was the Houston Randonnuers toughest 300K route smiley=headbang.gif].  
I really like the Magical Mystery Tour route ,but the weather just sucked(as you mentioned).   Angry

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2009, 8:56am

It's like you go through stretches, like I did with every weekend being 40mph winds....ugh. But hey, it's February 18 - summer's almost here Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2009, 9:06pm

Quote from aikigreg on Feb 18th, 2009, 8:56am:
It's like you go through stretches, like I did with every weekend being 40mph winds....ugh. But hey, it's February 18 - summer's almost here Smiley

Promise!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2009, 9:19pm

But hey, it's February 18 - summer's almost here Smiley

I'll remind you that you said that, when it's sleeting on you at the 400k next month...

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2009, 9:20pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2009, 6:10pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Feb 18th, 2009, 9:19pm:
But hey, it's February 18 - summer's almost here Smiley

I'll remind you that you said that, when it's sleeting on you at the 400k next month...

Reading those words was like opening up a big present!  Smiley
I hate to say it but just the possibility makes me giddy. (shh don't tell me it isn't possible)
 Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2009, 6:12pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print