Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:19am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Braving the breezes (Read 412 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Braving the breezes
Feb 8th, 2009, 5:45pm

I was feeling poorly this morning from a stomach bug, but by noon I was mostly back up to speed, and itching to try to spend some time on the bike during the afternoon...  So I put the SXP on the car, and went down to the 2PM GDB Mesquite ride.  The wind was kicking up pretty well outta the south, and the sky was mostly cloudy, but didn't really look like rain.  The first half of this ride is southbound, going from Poteet HS down to the south past I-30, then back.  The SXP seating isn't as reclined as the XS, but it's still reasonable for headwinds.

Well, at 5 minutes till departure time, there was NOBODY  Shocked  else in the parking lot...  the security guard walked over to me to strike up a conversation, and he said that the 11:30 AM "beginner" ride folks had finished and departed about 30 minutes before, with several riders.  I called a couple other regular potential 2PM participants, but they had both ridden earlier in the day already -- and had actually gotten rained on!

So, 2PM arrived, and I was still alone in the parking lot   Smiley  -- I guess the wind was too much for the DF rider gang!!!  I went ahead and did the 20-mile version of the ride, with my only company a couple of pleasant dogs that were having fun pacing me down the road, tail wagging...  Even on the SXP, I was still holding 13-15 mph into the headwinds, and around 30 with tailwind...

I wouldn't have wanted to do a 200K into today's winds, but an hour or so was very tolerable, and it's always nice when the 2nd half of a ride is wind-aided...  Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2009, 6:07pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Braving the breezes
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2009, 10:51pm

Good Job Paul!  Sharon and Daniel did the Live Long and Prosper Route, and it was almost a direct headwind most of the way back for them.  She called me when she was done, claiming much character built!  Not me, I worked in the garage fixing up the Strada.

Take Care,
nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2009, 11:12pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Feb 8th, 2009, 5:45pm:
I was feeling poorly this morning from a stomach bug, but by noon I was mostly back up to speed, and itching to try to spend some time on the bike during the afternoon...  So I put the SXP on the car, and went down to the 2PM GDB Mesquite ride.  The wind was kicking up pretty well outta the south, and the sky was mostly cloudy, but didn't really look like rain.  The first half of this ride is southbound, going from Poteet HS down to the south past I-30, then back.  The SXP seating isn't as reclined as the XS, but it's still reasonable for headwinds.

Well, at 5 minutes till departure time, there was NOBODY  Shocked  else in the parking lot...  the security guard walked over to me to strike up a conversation, and he said that the 11:30 AM "beginner" ride folks had finished and departed about 30 minutes before, with several riders.  I called a couple other regular potential 2PM participants, but they had both ridden earlier in the day already -- and had actually gotten rained on!

So, 2PM arrived, and I was still alone in the parking lot   Smiley  -- I guess the wind was too much for the DF rider gang!!!  I went ahead and did the 20-mile version of the ride, with my only company a couple of pleasant dogs that were having fun pacing me down the road, tail wagging...  Even on the SXP, I was still holding 13-15 mph into the headwinds, and around 30 with tailwind...

I wouldn't have wanted to do a 200K into today's winds, but an hour or so was very tolerable, and it's always nice when the 2nd half of a ride is wind-aided...  Smiley

I can tell you a couple of your DF gang was at White Rock Lake Sunday, one of them asked if I knew you THEN asked me to pull for them (or is that push?) going up Big Thicket. I got there around 10AM so wind wasn't a problem until about 3 when I left. Got in 7 fairly fast laps

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2009, 7:03am

Quote from mleuck on Feb 9th, 2009, 11:12pm:

I can tell you a couple of your DF gang was at White Rock Lake Sunday, one of them asked if I knew you ...

Well, I hope you were complimentary!!!   Roll Eyes  Wonder who it was....    Huh

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print