Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:20am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Live Long and Prosper 200k Permanent (Read 846 times)
Bud_Bent

Live Long and Prosper 200k Permanent
Feb 8th, 2009, 8:49am

Ride like the wind! Errr............ I mean, ride IN the wind! Yesterday morning at 7:30 am, Ray, Nelson, Mark H, and I rode out of Prosper to do Nelson's new Live Long and Prosper 200k permanent, which is an out and back to Forestburg. And of course, the wind was howling.  

This route works it way northwest until hitting FM455 west of Sanger, then stays on FM455 to Forestburg. It was a quiet, enjoyable morning that passed without any problems until we were almost to the second control at Bolivar, when Nelson had to stop to air up a tire. He made it to the control, then had to replace the tube there.

We rode on to Forestburg, through the grasslands, gaining altitude in the rolling hills. There aren't many trees along this stretch, but the tops of the hills give a scenic view of the countryside. We arrived in Forestburg at 12:30, and took a longer break there, at the old Forestburg Country Store.  

The first stretch coming back from Forestburg was almost a headwind, making those first hills a bit tough. The other stretches that were tough were two jaunts straight into the wind, one for a couple of miles on FM2153 and one for almost 5 miles on FM1385. But we handled the wind well, and navigated the course without any serious problems. We didn't quite finish the ride before dark, arriving back in Prosper at 6:55 pm. I ended up with 129.2 miles. It was a good route and great company for the day. Thanks, guys, I had a great time!

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2009, 8:53am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Live Long and Prosper 200k Permanent
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2009, 11:05am

Thanks for driving up Bud, and for being a guinea pig for the route! Bit on the windy side for sure, but pleasantly warm.  I must have pinch flatted a little somewhere, maybe the train tracks in Sanger, and I had leaked enough air to be on the rim when we hit the next section of chip seal.  So I did a rapid tire change, pumped up the tire and was about ready to be done, and pulled my pump off and the stem came with it! Smiley  Not quite as motivated by speed on the second go around, but still mostly got done without delaying everyone.  Also anyone who has a Euromesh seat check out the screws that hold to the cross member that holds it to the seat collar clamp.  When I inspected Friday evening I was down to one screw left. Shocked  Fortunately had some m5 bolts that worked.  I guess that wasn't loose change I heard hitting the road last week on Blue Ridge Boogie!  

Bud and I both remarked upon Mark out front seemingly levitating along about a foot off the road surface, no bike being visible at all.  The hurricane is small.  Mark is very quick on it though! Ray did great his first 200K since surgery!  Bud rode strong as always!  I sure enjoyed it Smiley

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2009, 3:13pm

Thanks Mark, Bud and Nelson.  This is a very good route.  Nelson has managed to find just the right back roads to mostly keep us away from traffic.  

I told you all in several other posts that my new name for Mark is Man'imal.  He was almost always at the front, and was flying up the hills.  This is definately the strongest I've seen Mark ride a 200k.  

Myself on the other hand sucked.  My goal was to ride consevative to protect my achilles.  I was always at the back of the group.  

It was a great ride, with a great group of guys.  oops, I almost forgot. No bonus miles  Wink

p.s. Angie asked me to ride with our MS150 team today. I felt pretty good when I woke up, so I agreed. A group of us rode real hard, and got in almost 100k.  I didn't think I had it in me.  So while my speed is quite slow, it appears I've reagained my fitness level.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2009, 8:35pm

Well thanks for the ride y'all it was a nice route with some good company along the way. The tailwind with the hills going into forestburg were a killer and I was overheating once in a while. Tailwinds just don't help push all that mass up hills all that well but they sure do kill the breeze.  
My HR was pretty low and my average when we got up there was only in the 120s but oy was it hot for winter! As I mentioned on the ride I much preferred the ride back into the wind because it was nice and cool. I have no idea how I'm going to get back ready for the heat of summer if I can't take the high 60s we had yesterday!
A little data off my GPS.

with speed/distance

Total Time (h:m:s)      11:25:11      
Moving Time (h:m:s)      9:09:2
Distance (mi )      129.27
Moving Speed (mph)      14.1 avg.      33.2 max.
Elevation Gain (ft)      +6,056 / -5,923  *my gps seems to add extra climbing so I don't know good this is.

The hurricane continues to prove itself out there. I mean from most things I read a dual 406 wheeled, rear suspension and not exactly lightweight bike should be a pretty poor climber and very slow on chip seal but it really is just like floating a foot or so off the road with nothing underneath me. There was one pretty bad railroad crossing, for 406 wheels anyhow, but most everything else was pretty nice and smooth. Yeah I know for most of you this is like comparing a Freightliner to a Peterbuilt but after todays 45 miler on the Giro 26 the hurricane just seems to work with me much better for what I do.

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2009, 10:37pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2009, 11:07pm

Mark I think its cool the Hurricane is working so well for you, no need to worry about what's supposed to be better.  On the other hand you're just weird .. prefering headwinds to tailwinds. Wink

Take Care,
nelson.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2009, 9:11am

Preferring headwinds to tailwinds isn't that strange when it's 100 degrees out there -- but 60???   Smiley   You gotta unlayer a bit, Mark!!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2009, 10:11am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Feb 9th, 2009, 9:11am:
Preferring headwinds to tailwinds isn't that strange when it's 100 degrees out there -- but 60???   Smiley   You gotta unlayer a bit, Mark!!!!

I may not make it so far. I was only wearing heat gear shorts and my bacchetta jersey.  embarrassed

Doctor took some more blood today after I mentioned the overheating so we'll see.

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2009, 11:14am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2009, 11:09pm

Developed my film Thursday night, but just got around to scanning it and posting some of the pictures I took on the ride.

Here is a link to my flickr set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nelson_ralls/sets/72157613733671104/

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print