Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Velo Venus 109k Permanent Populaire (Read 420 times)
Bud_Bent

Velo Venus 109k Permanent Populaire
Jan 17th, 2009, 7:08pm

Seven of us left the McDonalds on Green Oaks near I-20 at 10:00 am this morning to ride the Velo Venus 109k Populaire. Peggy, Steve, and I were the three recumbent riders. We were joined by four upright riders: Mark and Linda Metcalfe, Cheri Brown, and Debbie Breaud. For those of you who don't know Debbie, she is a very accomplished long distance rider, who hasn't been doing nearly as much riding recently.

The south wind was already blowing as we left, heading south toward Venus, and picked up more and became more southwest as we made our way along the route. This route stays mostly on small rural roads, and so has lots of turns. It seems a bit tough to me for a less than 70 mile route (that may be because the wind has been howling both times I've ridden it), but I do like this route. Lots of turns means lots on opportunities for bonus miles, and sure enough, we missed a turn at around mile 19, and did pick up about 4 bonus miles.

The route turns around at the first control in Venus, heading north, then west to the next control at Garden Acres Rd and I-35W. The wind had shifted southwest enough that this stretch wasn't nearly as much of a tailwind as I had expected. In fact, the parts of it that headed straight west were pretty tough.

The last part of the ride did give us that tailwind, though. The day was warmer than forecast, and in spite of the wind, would have to qualify as a beautiful day for January. It was a great group of folks to ride with, and we had no flats or mechanical issues, so in spite of how tired I was at the finish, I had a smile on my face, and would have to call it a very fun day.

I ended up with 72.0 miles at a 15.1 mph on the bike average. My total time for the ride was 5:55. Thanks for joining me, everyone. I had a great time.

« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2009, 7:11pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Velo Venus 109k Permanent Populaire
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2009, 8:47pm

Bud ,it's rides like today's that remind me of why we ride. Beautiful day, good friends,& good rural route(which begs the question-why are there so many dogs in the country). Bud made a great point ,there were more women than men on the ride today. When was the last time that happened?

I was on a roll...3/4 LSR rides with no bonus "rando" miles. The streak ended today. As Bud mentioned,this route has several turns. It's easy to miss one these rural county roads...and we did. We missed a turn in part because we were enjoying each others company by talking(and in all fairness-the cue sheet said this county road was easy to miss).

We rode on for about 2 miles before Mark Metcalfe caught our mistake & we headed back with no more bonus miles for the day. As we rode ,the day warmed up nicely ,& we shed our layered clothes at the controls along the way.

This is not a speed route, although there are some sections that are good for sprinting. Regardless,this is a very good route & I highly recommend it.

Thanks to Bud for putting the route together & doing a great job as ride leader. It was a FUN day. Those were some very accomplished riders that we rode with today.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Velo Venus 109k Permanent Populaire
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2009, 9:00am

I'm sorry I missed it - car with carrier was in the shop and I stuck arouind home and the trail.  Glad you guys had such a fun day!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print