Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flower Mound Social Ride - With Christine and Mark (Read 482 times)
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Flower Mound Social Ride - With Christine and Mark
Jan 3rd, 2009, 9:43pm

Prior to today, the most I've ridden since surgery was 25 miles, and that was tough.  Today's goal was 30 plus.  

Angie and I rode our bikes the 5 miles to the start of the weekly Flower Mound Social Ride.  Shortly after we arrived, Christine and Mark came rolling in on their Hurricane's.  People swarmed them to talk.  It was so cool.  There was approx 25 riders.

The highlight wasn't that I rode 40 miles today.  The highlight wasn't even seeing Angie continually ride at the front, or near the front all day.  The highlight was seeing Mark, as he is loosing weight and looking good, ride strong, and fast.  I kept a decent pace, trying to average ~18 on the flats, and climb as well as possible considering my achilles.  Well for the most part Mark, Christine and I were within 50 feet of one another, except for every hill.  I'd look in my mirror, and he would come blasting up every hill passing me, going at least 5mph faster than me.  Even though I tried to push hard and not let him catch me, he did, every time, and with ease.  

It's apparent that Mark has ambitious goals for 2009.  And if today is any indication of his desire, well.... you'll see for youself soon enough.   GREAT JOB CHRISTINE AND MARK.

p.s. Today is their 11th wedding anniversary.  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY CHRISTINE AND MARK.  11 years, wow... You must have gotten married while you were in Junior High.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Re: Flower Mound Social Ride - With Christine and
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:16pm

Thanks Ray I was just picking up the recumbent hill climbing duties for someone who was *ahem* resting  Wink Even caught the chap going up Porter who was halfway up the hill before I hit the bottom but I had some pretty good momentum going before I got there.

Hopefully you rested a bit more when you split off? Christine and I were going to split off at the coffee shop as I mentioned but seeing it was the only Saturday she has had off probably in over a year or so and nearly everyone was going on the extended route we kinda just took a left over the train tracks with y'all in that traffic jam someone made crossing 377. It was a really nice ride today with the weather and all the company.

We actually went out for another ride in the pitch black tonight and did a little figure 8 up there in Argyle/Bartonville before heading down to ZPizza for a late dinner. Hit pretty much every street in Bridlewood on the way home to put up a total of 100k today.  

Junior High? Ah well if I remember correctly as the science nerd I was allowed to pick my lab partner off the list of other students before class one day and I picked a name I didn't recognize. Low and behold it ended up being Christine so yeah maybe it was Junior High after all.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2009, 7:04am

Best anniversary wishes, you two...  sounds like some good riding!

Something does tend to kick in for me on the hills, and as they say, the way to get better on hills is to climb hills...  but watch your knees, Mark -- I pushed too hard on the Spanish Fort climbs last month, and am just now not having IT band soreness since then...

Proud of Ray and Angie, too!!!!    Ray, are you to the point of being able to "weigh in" on the differences between the Ti V3 and the XStream?  Inquiring minds want to know....

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2009, 10:12am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jan 4th, 2009, 7:04am:
Ray, are you to the point of being able to "weigh in" on the differences between the Ti V3 and the XStream?  Inquiring minds want to know....

Paul - it's too early for me to give an adequate, or statistically acceptable comparison.  I can definatively say that the Xstream is far more comfortable than I would have guessed, even with the stiff HED wheels.  There are portions of cobble stone on our normal Flower Mound ride, and the Xstream absorbs them much better than my Ti  
Aero  Shocked

So at this point, all I can compare is ride quality.  It will be another month before I'm healed enough to push the bike.  

side note:  The SRAM Red w/carbon TT bar end shifters snap into gear with little effort.  Sweeeeet...

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print