Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This Ain't No Club Ride-200K (Read 1490 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

This Ain't No Club Ride-200K
Jan 1st, 2009, 8:17pm

Amen! Peggy & I and about 30+ other LSR riders(including rbents own Mr. & Mrs. EV Blazer)decided to ring in the new year with a 200K ride. The ride started PROMPTLY at 7:00am ,& travels from Arlington to Duncanville ,Maypearl, Italy, before turning back north to Waxahachie ,Duncanville & back to Arlington.

It was a little brisk this morning-37 degrees(that's cold to me), & almost immediately our friend the WIND(who accompanies us on all of our rides) decides to start to BLOW(no,HOWL)!  

As we headed out toward Duncanville ,there's a hill at mile 18+(on mountain Creek Parkway) that just kicks butt. I've ridden my Corsa SS approx. 6/7 times & today was the FIRST time a noticed a HUGE difference between this bike & my Strada. I'm not sure what the % grade this hill is(I'm guessing 15-18%),but it's a long winding climb. The Corsa blew up the hill. It was the bike ,not the rider. Peggy & I settled & rode with Ranni Freeman, Brad(not sure of his last name) & a guy from Midland,Tx.  

Right after this killer hill is a control(Valero), I can tell this going to be "chop-chop" stops. Barely enough time to use the facilities ,get our brevet card signed & drink & it's time to go. By this time ,we're riding into a very Stiff S to S/E wind. The next control(stop) is 43 miles-YIKES. I almost made the control without stopping ,but 4 miles(I answered nature's call thinking I could save time by not waiting in line at the next stop(Italy).

AS Peggy & I pulled into the Tiger Mart in Italy, Gary Gottleib(LSR & FWBA member) was there to greet everyone & take pictures. Gary recently suffered a broken collar bone during a crash on a FWBA ride. He's the life of the pack & it was good to see him greet us. We pulled into Italy wind battered(Greg & Bud sound familiar) just before 12:00. Another "chop-chop" stop.  

By this time Sharon Stevens(LSR) member & her tandem riding partner Daniel pulled in behind us. We left together we a nice tailwind (off to Waxahachie) & regular speeds of 25-30 mph.  Along I-35W service roads are some really nice rollers & with a nice tailwind,we took advantage of them.

I took us only <55 minutes to travel the 18.3 miles. We arrived in Waxahachie & Gary G. was there again to greet us. The 4/5 of us are still together at this point. Another "chop-chop" stop & onto to Duncanville. We rolled into Duncancille  around 2:35. Short stop(it's a theme).  

We're really making great time after the 60+ miles into the headwind this morning...until we start coming into the outskirts of Arlington on Camp Wisdom(oxy moron)& Sublett roads(Bud knows these roads & I can only image what he might be saying right about now)...YUK! Traffic(and I HATE riding on busy roads) & stop lights. You spend more time clipping in\out more & stopped at traffic lights than anything else during the section of(especially on Sublett). Up until this point ,we were on pace for 8 hr,30 minute 200k(not bad considering the early morning HOWLING winds). As a side note,the 200k permanent "This ain't no club ride" ,does NOT use Sublett because of past complaints about traffic. Apparently there is a trail that the permanent route uses instead. I guess the New Years riders are "special" & get the priveledge of stop lights & traffic.

So we finished with a ride time of 8 hours 55 minutes(avg speed of 16.0 mph). I have to say this was Peggy's first foray on my Strada & she rode the wheels off the bike. On a return section along hwy 67 service road(Midlothian area) Peggy was easily cruising at 30+mph for several miles with a large grim on her face.  

It was great day. The ride back from Italy was WARM! Not sure what the temperature was ,but I was riding in just my bacchetta jersey & long riding pants(left over from this mornings cool temps).

We enjoyed great food,drink & stories at Dan Driscoll's home after the ride. I was a great day. Bud ,Ray ,Nelson ,Greg ,& Paul were all missed.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: This Ain't No Club Ride-200K
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2009, 9:21pm

I was hoping you would have a tailwind the second half, since I didn't know what ride route you were doing...  And your comment about the Corsa and the hill climbing mirrors how I feel about the XStream vs. the SXP...

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2009, 9:22pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2009, 10:05pm

Glad you had a good ride. Yes, back when we decided to do the Magical Mystery Tour route, this is other route that was being ridden that weekend, that I rejected because of the Sublett and Bowen traffic. I hadn't thought about it, but the Fish Creek Trail would be a good alternative to Sublett, although the last I knew, it only went as far as Matlock.

I thought about y'all when I looked out my back door and saw all the wind. It seems to be a common theme in the winter and spring here. I had thought about meeting you somewhere on the ride, but decided I should just hunker down at home, instead. I don't need to be around anyone until I get over this crud. I hope to join you on a ride soon.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 7:45am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Jan 1st, 2009, 10:05pm:
Glad you had a good ride. Yes, back when we decided to do the Magical Mystery Tour route, this is other route that was being ridden that weekend, that I rejected because of the Sublett and Bowen traffic. I hadn't thought about it, but the Fish Creek Trail would be a good alternative to Sublett, although the last I knew, it only went as far as Matlock.

I thought about y'all when I looked out my back door and saw all the wind. It seems to be a common theme in the winter and spring here. I had thought about meeting you somewhere on the ride, but decided I should just hunker down at home, instead. I don't need to be around anyone until I get over this crud. I hope to join you on a ride soon.

Bud ,this route shares a lot of the same roads as "Magical Mystery tour" & "Covington Coaster" routes. Almost all the riders we rode with really disliked the return section on Camp Wisdom & Sublett.  The traffic was bad yesterday at 3:30pm(on New Years Day),I can't imagine finishing this route on a Saturday-4:00/5:00pm. I'm not sure about the trail. Dan said that Jerry Austin had complained about the section of road on Sublett after last years New Years Day ride & he made changes to the permanent route(which involved the trail-I have no idea where you pick up the trail or where it goes). We road past the "Ghost Bike" where the couple were killed on Camp Wisdom.

The forecast yesterday was for winds 10-20. Another forecast that was WRONG. It had to be steady 25mph. It was also a hard day to dress because of the huge temperature swing(low 32 at the start & close to 70 at the finish). We were all shedding layers of clothes along the way.  The total mileage for the route was 127.5 miles.

You take care & rest up.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 8:11am

This is a call out to Christine and Mark.  Please let us know how you did.  I called Steve around 6pm to check on everyone and he/Peggy were worried about you too.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE...

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 9:49am

We lived. Christine enjoyed the ride. It was her longest ride in both time and distance and it sure ain't no hotter then hell course. Considering some adjustments that needed to be done on the road and being on medication for getting over some near bronchitis it didn't go so bad but if you ask her it is just a cough  Wink

After rolling out of double oak at about 5 am we rolled back into double oak just before it turned Friday so went straight to the showers and bed.

Hey and I didn't even see the Corsa SS because it was too dark and we were a few seconds late to the start. Hm. lets see. 13:02:46 on the bike with 133.4 miles due to two incorrect turns. Next time I'm going to have to make sure to get the que sheets first to look them up online with any confusing bits.

Overall time was 15:44 which was 2:20 or so over. All of that time coming from the 40 miles trip into the early 5mph forcasted headwind (yeah right!) which made us late to Italy. We took a break on the 40 mile leg because with the wind we knew we weren't going to make the control but decided to press on instead of try to find our way back since we were almost half way.  

We were late to Italy by just under 2 hours and then took longer stops and some photo breaks as we headed back up. Also made a few adjustments on the road to Christine's bike which helped the fit a little better. She had under seat steering till last week when we switched it to praying mantis and she has shorter cranks now so needed the boom out a little even with it being out too far before the shorter cranks.

It wasn't just the wind though early on that did us in since we made the first control by only 9 minutes after having some serious bad luck with many red light when crossing through to those big hills Steve flew up. Well we didn't really fly up them however we can tell you walking quasi low racer bikes with preying mantis bars is a slow back aching process because you have to hold the handlebars and push the back of the seat. Going down the hills much later that night I did hit 44mph after dragging the brakes the first half.    
The bikes felt fine. Only the midloathian "cobblestones" were an annoyance everything else was pretty much unnoticed. Lots and lots of dogs though they must have sensed my wife was out of her jurisdiction as an animal control officer and wanted a little revenge.

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:42pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 1:54pm

WOW! We were worried about you. Glad you & Christine made it back safely. As you know by now,these LSR "rando" rides really test your mental toughness.  

Ask Dan to see if can still receive credit for the ride yesterday. You rode the route & put forth the effort ,all he do is say no.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
shantar42

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 5:37pm

This was my longest ride to date and my first 200k.  I was expecting it to be not much more difficult than the HH100 and was thinking I could fly through this.  BOY, Was I wrong.  I"m not a racer and don't worry to much about being fast but having the other riders in HnH is quite a motivation to keep up my speed.  On this ride with no one around it was quite a different expericnece.  I hadn't ridden much in the way of long rides for the past 2 months and hadn't ridden really at all for 2 weeks working up to this ride due to being sick and being on call where I have to take the truck home so I can't commute.  Well, over all i'm thrilled I did the ride.  DNF or no DNF it was a great start to the new year.  I put in my longest ride, did the miles and didn't give up.  The first half was actually the hardest for me.  I made it up the first hill but that 2nd big one was killer.  I'm surprised we still made it to the first control on time.  I must say, Mark was a SAINT!  He sayed with me the entire time when he probally could have done the ride twice in the amount of time it took me.  A large part of the time I just couldn't get much above 5mph and had to tell my legs to "Push it !"  Mark was as patient as a saint.  Never was mad or fustrated with me and helped me the whole way.  I LOVE YOU!  Anyway, It was a great learning experience that's for sure!  I'll be much more better prepared for next time.   Thanks to everyone who checked up on us at night.   Thanks to Dan and Pam for the offer to pick us up I was tempted but thought that in the spirit of Randoneuring and the need to be self sufficient with a little patience I knew sooner or later we'd make it home so we trecked on.  Thanks eveyone, we had a great time and I had a fantastic beginning to the new year!  I'm allready looking forward to our next one.

Christine Hastings
-----------------------
Challenge Hurricane SL
Catrike 700
Fuji Finest 2.0
Novara Element
Rowbike
Dahon Speed Pro TT
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 6:00pm

And a new randonneuse is born.  Very nice job, y'all!

I had plans to attend this one, but had the entire 14 person family guilt me into staying at the new year's celebration.  Was still planning on it until I had some sleeplessness and couldn't get to sleep until 3.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 6:39pm

Great Start to the new year!  Missed being with you guys.  Mark and Christine, that is just awesome.  Takes a lot of mental toughness to persevere when you lose the push of the clock or other folks!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 6:45pm

I'm so glad you both got back in safe and sound. It's so great to have your partner out there on this long rides with you. To have started the year out with your personal best, the year is off to a great start. Looking forward to see you out on more rides this year.

Congregations on your first 200k Smiley
                                                                Peggy

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 7:51pm

Wow, it's another reminder just how challenging this kind of distance can be, especially when the wind kicks up. Glad you made it in ok, Mark and Christine.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 8:14pm

Christine, I'm very proud of you. And it's great to see the positivity in your ride report.  You nailed the key learning experience.  A 200k is much harder than a 100 miler, even tough it's only approx. 25 miles more.  Since Randonneuring is "self supportive", thus there are no rest stops or support, this sport reallyl becomes mental.  From years of Randonneuring experience, I can attest that many of my rides ended up being much more mental than physical.

Great job in your first Rando. ride, especially considering you've not had time to train for long distance, you'd been sick, you just made a major change to your bike set-up, etc...

Mark - great job supporting Christine.  Are we going to see you both on a Challenge Tandem soon?

WHAT A GREAT WAY TO START A NEW YEAR.  CONTRATULATIONS TO CHRISTINE AND MARK.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print