Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dixie's Little Stop 123k Populaire (Read 576 times)
Bud_Bent

Dixie's Little Stop 123k Populaire
Dec 26th, 2008, 4:46pm

Greg and I joined Steve on this ride this morning, leaving Italy at 7:30 am. This is a simple out and back route that goes southwest down US77, turns south on FM308 at Mertens, then east on FM339 to Dixie's at Mount Calm, then back.  

The wind was already howling when I arrived in Italy, and the roads were so wet, you could swear that it had been raining. After mine and Greg's ride of a few weeks ago, I swore I wasn't going to ride in 40 mph winds again, but in spite of the forecast for 17 mph winds in the morning and 20 mph winds in the afternoon, there were 40 mph gusts long before we reached Mount Calm, making the first half of the ride brutal. There were several hills that would normally be fairly easy for me, but today I was in granny gear pedaling at 4 mph up them. Some of the crosswinds were very scary, too, on stretches going to as well as coming back from Mount Calm. And the fact that I picked up a bad cold this week didn't make any of it any easier.

On top of everything else, Steve had the flat from hell at around mile 25, that ended up taking us three tubes, two co2 cartridges, and way too much time to fix. This, plus the less than 12 mph average we were having against the wind, and the fact that we didn't get started for several minutes after 7:30, put us in time trouble, and we didn't arrive at Dixie's until 11:37, one minute before the time limit!

Coming back from Dixie's was a whole other story, with an on the bike average of over 20 mph. I hit 41 mph coming down one hill, and there are no hills on this route that deserve that kind of speed, on a normal day.  

We survived another adventure, finishing without further disasters. I ended up finishing in 6 hours and 37 minutes, with 77.0 total miles, and an on the bike average of 14.9 mph. A Subway sandwich definitely hit the spot after the ride. Thanks, Steve and Greg.

« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2008, 4:47pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Dixie's Little Stop 123k Populaire
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2008, 4:51pm

Things we do for fun....    Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2008, 5:29pm

What was the funniest part was that on the way back if you fell under 25mph, the wind actually buffeted you a bit, but if you rode faster than the wind, as they say, it was very calm in most spots.  Except for the one little patch that blew me off the road.  twice.

Fun little jaunt.  We'll have to get together and avoid it sometime!   Wink

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2008, 5:46pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Dec 26th, 2008, 4:46pm:
Greg and I joined Steve on this ride this morning, leaving Italy at 7:30 am. This is a simple out and back route that goes southwest down US77, turns south on FM308 at Mertens, then east on FM339 to Dixie's at Mount Calm, then back.

The wind was already howling when I arrived in Italy, and the roads were so wet, you could swear that it had been raining. After mine and Greg's ride of a few weeks ago, I swore I wasn't going to ride in 40 mph winds again, but in spite of the forecast for 17 mph winds in the morning and 20 mph winds in the afternoon, there were 40 mph gusts long before we reached Mount Calm, making the first half of the ride brutal. There were several hills that would normally be fairly easy for me, but today I was in granny gear pedaling at 4 mph up them. Some of the crosswinds were very scary, too, on stretches going to as well as coming back from Mount Calm. And the fact that I picked up a bad cold this week didn't make any of it any easier.

On top of everything else, Steve had the flat from hell at around mile 25, that ended up taking us three tubes, two co2 cartridges, and way too much time to fix. This, plus the less than 12 mph average we were having against the wind, and the fact that we didn't get started for several minutes after 7:30, put us in time trouble, and we didn't arrive at Dixie's until 11:37, one minute before the time limit!

Coming back from Dixie's was a whole other story, with an on the bike average of over 20 mph. I hit 41 mph coming down one hill, and there are no hills on this route that deserve that kind of speed, on a normal day.

We survived another adventure, finishing without further disasters. I ended up finishing in 6 hours and 37 minutes, with 77.0 total miles, and an on the bike average of 14.9 mph. A Subway sandwich definitely hit the spot after the ride. Thanks, Steve and Greg.

First off ,I can't thank Bud(who is fighting a cold) & Greg for coming out & riding with me. I don't have anything to add to Bud's ride report because it is so darn dead-on. This was not supposed to be a beat down ride. I needed 120K to get 4,000k(rando) for the year. Mission accomplished,BARELY.

When I proposed this ride at Bud's celebration party last week ,the forecast then(and even last night) was for temps in the high 70's ,& winds 10-20 mph. When I arrived at start this morning,I knew the forecast was WRONG(on several accounts) because this wind was already blowing & the humidity had to be close to 100%.

The first 38+ miles were not fun(due to the howling wind) & the flat that would NOT get fixed in spite of our best efforts(but we prevailed). The FUN part was riding with a tailwind(as Bud described) & racing Greg to the "Penelope" city limits at 40+ mph & then a crosswind catching me & right after sign. Holy Crap. There were a few of those "scary" moments.

Bud ,I pumped up both tubes(the third tube was trashed because the entire valve stem came out with the Co2 adapter)with a floor pump. The original tube had a tiny hole right on the seam(had to have been a pinch flat when I hit the pothole). The 2nd tube also had a tiny hole(either from a tire lever or pinch flat after inflation).

New tires are NOT easy to change...as I found out today. And holding a bike in the howling wind is not fun either. Nor was it fun to see poor Greg struggle to NOT relieve himself while holding my bike(as I'm taking the front tire off). If you know anything about Penelope,there is nothing but open cotton fields. There are no stores. So answering nature's call in an open field ,it's hard to be discrete.

Another rbent/rando adventure. Again ,I really appreciate all the help today.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2008, 9:18am

...one more note about this ride, we did NOT end up with any bonus rando miles. The Three of us have ridden a portion of the route(albeit the opposite direction heading out ,anyway)on both 200 & 300k's. Bud didn't even need a cue sheet. I took along just to have.  

This was my 3/4th LSR in a row without bonus miles. Now that I opened my big mouth,I'm sure I'll manage to make up for the lack of bonus miles on the next LSR ride.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print