Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ice Skating (Read 881 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Ice Skating
Dec 11th, 2008, 8:48am

Not  Sad

So off I go and I was dressed a little too warm but I was taking it easy. I get a little past the halfway point on my commute and take a tight left turn and just as a crest the little hill I'm floating. All I could do was think "ICE" and sliding I went. The whole lane was coated in ice from the business lots sprinkler.  

I crept my way along the grass and got back on to find ice all over freeport parkway from sprinklers run amuck. There was a city truck down blocking one particular bad patch and I waited for a while behind it until I could merge into the left lane and pass. Seeing an suv come up behind I knew what was going to occur so I slowed and moved into the right lane and they passed me and cut right hard. I am unsure if they even missed a word in their phone conversation as their auto slid across the intersection they had just turned into and then continued down the wrong side of the road till they could cut back across because the median blocked their path.  

When I got closer to work I avoided a few streets that have restaurants because I know they will have ice coated streets from past experience. I'm thinking of keeping with two panniers even if they are both half empty to soak up some energy and protect the bike.  

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2008, 8:50am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Re: Ice Skating
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2008, 9:18am

Your a brave man to ride on all that ice.
I understand that they make studded tires for bicycles. I just don't know (or desire to know) where one can get them.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2008, 9:25am

Well I didn't want to really it just kind of materialized in front of me. I guess being on the hurricane I can't really see what is over the hill till I'm over the hill..

I used to have a pair of studded nokians for 700C tires that I used all winter back home on my ice bike (which is long gone). They would have been great for the situation I was in today except I was riding on 20" tires today  Grin For the most part they let you keep going straight but you can't really turn all that well even with studs if you are on solid ice in my experience through a few seasons. They do make an awesome sound though as you go it may be worth it just to freak joggers out.  Shocked

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2008, 9:41am

Quote from evblazer on Dec 11th, 2008, 8:48am:

Seeing an suv come up behind I knew what was going to occur so I slowed and moved into the right lane and they passed me and cut right hard.

Good defensive riding, Mark!!!!!  Mirrors (and anticipation of knuckleheads) are vital things....   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2008, 9:47am

I passed a house this morning, Christmas lights blazing, and sprinklers going full tilt, turning the whole yard (and street) into a sort of Winter Wonderland.  Its one thing for a yahoo house owner, but I could see that buisness getting the snot sued out of them for leaving them on to freeze like that.

Glad you navigated it succesfully!  I took the MTB today, as its a bit more nimble in icey situations.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2008, 11:00am

Hm.. So I commented on a conference call that had one person from NY/NJ on and one person from Boston about the whole sliding on ice because of sprinklers phenomenom in Texas. It is bizare to think about as a northerner since you drain your system in winter just because that is how is since the ground freezes and often times is covered with snow for long periods.

Just now my boss just calls and tells me since working from home worked out well he was talking to his boss and they said I should work from home if there are any problems with the weather or for any other reason I thought. Now perhaps their intention is that the only person who does my job in the company doesn't get go out on disability or some such but it works for me  Grin

Better to have a good boss then a good job   Smiley

note: my old boss said the same thing when I used to drive but later I was the only person to show up in the snow/ice because I took my icebike to the station and everyone else stayed home.

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2008, 11:06am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2008, 11:07am

Quote from evblazer on Dec 11th, 2008, 11:00am:

Just now my boss just calls and tells me since working from home worked out well he was talking to his boss and they said I should work from home if there are any problems with the weather or for any other reason I thought. Now perhaps their intention is that the only person who does my job in the company doesn't get go out on disability or some such but it works for me  Grin

I telecommute full-time now.  Sure don't miss the daily commute at all.  It didn't make a lot of sense anyway for me to drive 25 miles to the office in Fort Worth to connect to our data center in Denver to do my work.  The company provides my high speed internet access, computer and printer.  With the VPN that we use to connect, it is difficult to even notice that I'm not on the network at the office.  It is actually easier to connect to some of our external servers through the VPN than it is through the office network.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2008, 8:59am

Oh man how great would that be?  I'd love to "phone it in" from home every day.....

....but not as much as Bud would, I bet!   Wink

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2008, 9:08am

Quote from aikigreg on Dec 12th, 2008, 8:59am:
Oh man how great would that be? I'd love to "phone it in" from home every day.....

....but not as much as Bud would, I bet! Wink

Nah, I love my dungeon cubicle and the cast iron dust covered shop I work in that's 32 degrees inside this morning and 115 degrees in the summer. Who could ask for more?

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2008, 9:08am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2008, 9:19am

For those that escape the wrath of my massive front chainring.
Now in 406 sizing the marathon winter.
muhahahaha

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print