Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:18am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hurricane forced into commuter duty (Read 610 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Hurricane forced into commuter duty
Dec 5th, 2008, 2:46pm

Aw the poor thing after a slightly less intensive fixing up then Nelson's new ride and with a new untested chain in place it got loaded down for commuter duty. (the hollowpin chain started busting plates within a few miles of my first ride)

So I headed out today into very little wind but sub 30 degree temps. I had a serfas mask on for about 3 blocks before I decided I'd rather have my face in the freezing breeze then melt. The fleece vest lasted a few minutes longer but that too was just too much. I found the position on the hurricane really blocks the wind hitting my hands since it has the tiller/praying mantis bars.

The kojaks I put on to match my wifes hurricane sl so we can share a spare and tubes etc worked really nice. Add to that the nice rear suspension and I really didn't feel or hear any of the normal road imperfections that beat me or the Giro up. Only issue that came up was the zipties I bought at xmart cracked and my chaintube tried to crawl over my 60tooth (20" wheels I need more teeth!) but I stopped and fixed it with some electrical tape. Tonight all those zipties go into the trash and I get  ones from lowes. The shifting on the front with the double gave me no problems but I still have to work out getting into the 11 in the rear and it staying there.

I had no problems with drivers or with any stopping or starting. If I wanted to I think I could even handstand at lights but I'd probably end up crashing when I started up again. I did get paced a number of times by cars in the inside lane while I was in the outside lane but no direct comments good or bad. The ride went pretty quickly and actually was my fastest recumbent commute on the incoming leg by over 15 minutes even though I was carrying my laptop and using two ortlieb rolltop bags to produce a little parachute rather then the aerotrunk on my giro. I'm going to actually try on the way home and hopefully not bring my laptop to see if I can beat my merlins best time.

I really love the large seat on the hurricane it fits me so much better then the one size fits all euromesh and I feel comfortable and confident in it enough to push against the seat. The tiller/praying mantis bars are going to take a little getting used to but I haven't had any problems with the actual steering part just off the bike or the grip shifters. The grip shifters really might have to go on this but I'm going to give it a little more time.  

Anyone know if my recolection of 20" wheels being stronger is true? The bike came with a nice set of sparticus (deep v) with 20F/24R spokes and the original non-machined rims with 36 spokes I believe. Everytime I stop I hear thunkathunkathunk as the brake pads hit where the rim joins. I'm going to try to see if a very slight sanding will help as noted on a BROL review but the other wheels are pretty nice.  

Note: My fork broke almost exactly where hotdogs over at the b forums did a few months ago.  
http://www.bacchettabikes.com/forum2/tm.asp?m=43209&mpage=1&key=broken%2 Cfork
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3133/2827870548_76902cb67f.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3153/2827030709_da120a0ae6.jpg
I remember checking my fork after seeing that post and all was well. I guess that may be the weak point of the fork and I'll have to keep a close eye on it when I get my new fork and hopefully make checking it part of my pre-ride routine.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Hurricane forced into commuter duty
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2008, 2:51pm

Hi Mark,

The Hurricane sounds pretty cool!  Any pics in commuter mode?

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2008, 3:03pm

I'll have to get my wife to get some tonight. It was a rush job last night to get everything together.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Pics of Hurricane after First Commute
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2008, 6:20pm

Most of the side reflective material is on the rider but I will be putting a few little pieces on the bike I think. Not much though.
Blurry and grainy closeups.. $#@U*()*$#@(
http://picasaweb.google.com/evblazer/Hurricane#5276465032015119762

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2008, 6:25pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2008, 6:21pm

Smaller wheels are, indeed, stronger. Maybe these will actually hold up to the Markinator!  Grin

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2008, 7:35pm

Wow I like,  I could reach the ground on one of those,  hmmm....

By the way are you commuting to work or going on an around the world tour?  Wink

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print