Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 10:56am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
terratrike vs sun (Read 2003 times)
marinagirl

rbent member

terratrike vs sun
Nov 30th, 2008, 9:45am

undecided
I am trying to decide which bent to buy.  Any suggestions on the terratrike vs sun bicycle?  I am a first time buyer and will be riding mostly on asphalt surfaces althought the crosstimbers trail in tempting.  Has anyone ridden a recumbent on the crosstimbers trail?  It is located on Lake Texoma.

Email   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Re: terratrike vs sun
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2008, 10:13am

The Sun is rather quite a bit heavier.  I have had my Catrike on several gravel trails.  They are ridable but not nearly as fun as paved surfaces.   What kind of distances are you look at?  I previously had a WW Tour which was okay, but I wanted something a bit faster and sold it and purchased the Cat.  I now mostly ride my two wheelers which at the time I was not sure I could get the balance of.  The trike is still a blast especially for long slower rides.

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2008, 10:15am by irodguy »  

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2008, 10:14am

Welcome to the group, your will find more of us on 3 wheels here than any other group in N.Tx  Smiley
The best thing you can do first off, is ride the trikes you are interested in at the local bike shops and from owners of trikes here. The unique thing about the EasyRacer EZ Tadpole (http://www.easyracers.com/15H-EZ_tadpole_sx.htm ) is the sear and the newly redisgned steering.
Both of which I prefer. It is also the heaviest trike in production that I know of so you have to decide if you are up to doing hills on it. There are several riders here in the EZ Tadpole and I have ridden the hills with one member around Lake Weatherford area and she didn't have any problems beating me to the top of each climb  undecided  
I have another friend who lives near Austin who I ride with when he is in town who rides a Tera Trike that he has ridden coast to coast and enjoyed the trike all the way.
It becomes a matter of preference ,the seat was the big deal for me and why I have the EasyRacer EZ Tadpole in layaway at Bicycles Inc. in Arlington. That is a great place to go if you are in this area and they will turn you loose on the back roads of the local neighborhood to test ride any bike they have.

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2008, 11:04am by jman »  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2008, 1:22pm

Quote from jman on Nov 30th, 2008, 10:14am:
Bicycles Inc. in Arlington. That is a great place to go if you are in this area and they will turn you loose on the back roads of the local neighborhood to test ride any bike they have.

Though they now require that you leave identification.  They've had two recent incidents where moderately high $ bikes never returned from a test ride.  Apparently, one of these was quite an elaborate ruse.  Multiple visits and rides as well as cell phone calls where the conversation made the employees feel that the thief was some type of police officer.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
marinagirl

rbent member

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2008, 2:04pm

Smiley Thanks for all of the info.  I will check out the easy racer website.  The Bicycles, Inc of Arlington sounds like a great place also.

Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2008, 4:27pm

Quote from marinagirl on Nov 30th, 2008, 2:04pm:
Smiley Thanks for all of the info. I will check out the easy racer website. The Bicycles, Inc of Arlington sounds like a great place also.

Robert Purinton is the rep to ask for he is not their on Mondays though.
5739 SW Green Oaks Blvd, just south of I-20 tell him where you heard about the shop and he will take good care of you.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print