Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 1:48am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clipless Pedals (Read 9003 times)
Bud_Bent

Re: Clipless Pedals
Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2009, 2:12pm

Quote from season on Feb 18th, 2009, 1:56pm:
I'm new to bents and clipless pedals. I just bought a Bacchetta strada and I love it. I'm going to get clipless pedals. I'm leaning towards the Bebop; but, I'm concerned with the compatibility with shoes. What is the best cycle shop to get help selecting a first pair of shoes and pedals?

I'm not sure that any shop around here knows enough about recumbents to recommend shoes for one. There are really just two main styles of cycling shoes: road shoes and mtb shoes. Road shoes have mainly hard, smooth soles, and are tough to walk in with cleats installed on them. Mtb shoes have the hard sole covered with a softer one, with a recess where the cleats go, so they're easier to walk in. For spreading out pedaling stresses on your foot, the road shoe systems are better.

That said, recumbent riders, especially high racer riders, tend to favor the mtb shoes, because you don't get your feet down as solidly as you do with a lower bike, making it too easy to have zero speed fall overs. Even with a lower recumbent, because you're sitting, there's not as much weight on your feet when sitting still, so it's still easy to lose traction and fall. That's not to say that all recumbent riders use mtb shoes; some do manage road shoes ok and like them better, but if you're just starting out on a recumbent, I recommend starting with mtb shoes.

If you buy mtb shoes, you will need to get compatible pedals and cleats. Bebops work. So do Eggbeater, spd's, and others. Bebop cleats do require some trimming of the sole on many mtb shoes, for clearance.

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2009, 2:22pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2009, 2:21pm

Quote from season on Feb 18th, 2009, 1:56pm:
I'm new to bents and clipless pedals.  I just bought a Bacchetta strada and I love it.  I'm going to get clipless pedals.  I'm leaning towards the Bebop; but, I'm concerned with the compatibility with shoes.  What is the best cycle shop to get help selecting a first pair of shoes and pedals?

Read what Bud has to say, what he says makes a lot of sense.  That being said, if you're going to go with road shoes, get Sidi - pure and simple.  The main reason, the heal plate on most road shoes cannot be replaced, with Sidi shoes it can be.  That's where the traction point is when I stop and plant a foot.

I am on Speedplay pedals, and have just ordered new Sidi Pro Carbon shoes, to replace the ones that I've had for over 10 years.

/Disclaimer, I come from the DF world, and am very used to putting my foot in it (ooops, I mean down on slick surfaces).

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #17 - Feb 18th, 2009, 2:26pm

Quote from AustinSkater on Feb 18th, 2009, 2:21pm:

Read what Bud has to say, what he says makes a lot of sense. That being said, if you're going to go with road shoes, get Sidi - pure and simple. The main reason, the heal plate on most road shoes cannot be replaced, with Sidi shoes it can be. That's where the traction point is when I stop and plant a foot.

I am on Speedplay pedals, and have just ordered new Sidi Pro Carbon shoes, to replace the ones that I've had for over 10 years.

/Disclaimer, I come from the DF world, and am very used to putting my foot in it (ooops, I mean down on slick surfaces).

I think the Sidi mtb shoes are excellent, too. I do enjoy my Shimano sandals in the summer, too, but for long rides, my Sidi Dominators are what I wear. They're not just the most comfortable cycling shoes I own, they're the most comfortable shoes I own, period.

Of course, everyone's feet are different, so only time and experimenting will tell for sure what you like best.

Edit: I should add that Sidi's, like many European shoes, run very narrow. My wide feet require the Sidi Mega's which are wider than their standard shoes.

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2009, 2:32pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
season

rbent member

Reply #18 - Feb 18th, 2009, 3:15pm

Excellent advice.  Who sells sidi mega?  I have huge feet.

Sam
Email   IP Logged
season

rbent member

Reply #19 - Feb 18th, 2009, 3:49pm

Plano Cycling sells them.

Sam
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #20 - Feb 18th, 2009, 8:26pm

Internet geek that I am, I bought mine online.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2009, 8:40am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Feb 18th, 2009, 8:26pm:
Internet geek that I am, I bought mine online.

Speaking of buying online, Backcountry.com has the Sidi Genius on sale for 50% off (specific sizes, the rest are $100 off).  This is a good road shoe, but with Sidi it does help to know your size in advance.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/SID0011/Sidi-Genius-5-Bike-Shoe-Mens.html?CMP_I D=ODAT_HPFP5001&mv_pc=1002

Bryan
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - Feb 19th, 2009, 3:22pm

Since I no longer manage an Italian restaurant that requires me to eat one entre or medium pizza per shift (Best. Job. Ever.) my weight has come down as well as my shoe size. (I guess all that extra weight was squishing my feet out longer and wider and now I have an arch you could drive a truck under) I used to wear 10 1/2 D or E, now I wear 8 1/2 B, or a 42.5  narrow in Sidi bike shoes Smiley Moral: buy your bike shoes where you can try them on. And don't just try them on and go buy the same size/style on the Internet, either. Buy at the brick and mortar store that let you try them on. Smiley

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #23 - Feb 23rd, 2009, 8:35am

Wow.  This is turning into an expensive hobby.  The prospect of clipless pedals has always been daunting to me so I was looking around and found this really good faq:

http://www.chainreaction.com/pedalfaq.htm

with the following quote:  "You will, in very slow motion, and nearly always with people around to see it happen, fall over."  Which is apparently okay, because, as they later say...  "It's almost impossible to come up with a truly original way to embarrass yourself on a bike."  LOL.  That makes me feel better!

So if all the pressure it tied to a specific location on the foot, that doesn't hurt after a while?  Do they take getting used to besides the actual clipping in/out business?

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #24 - Feb 23rd, 2009, 8:49am

The sole of most bicycle shoes are much stiffer compared to most non cycling shoes. Then there are of course different kinds of cycling shoes.
This looked like a pretty decent comparison
http://www.bicycleapparel.com/shoes.html

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #25 - Feb 23rd, 2009, 9:28am

Quote from Hurricane Dan on Feb 23rd, 2009, 8:35am:
Wow.  This is turning into an expensive hobby.  The prospect of clipless pedals has always been daunting to me so I was looking around and found this really good faq:

http://www.chainreaction.com/pedalfaq.htm

with the following quote:  "You will, in very slow motion, and nearly always with people around to see it happen, fall over."  Which is apparently okay, because, as they later say...  "It's almost impossible to come up with a truly original way to embarrass yourself on a bike."  LOL.  That makes me feel better!

So if all the pressure it tied to a specific location on the foot, that doesn't hurt after a while?  Do they take getting used to besides the actual clipping in/out business?

I always recommend that when you first go clipless either spend time with your bike on a trainer, or on a soft grass field, learning exactly how to clip in and out.  

I ride on Speedplay pedals (lollipops) and they are some of the easiest pedals to learn, but they do have a very small contact point.  I would not recommend them for anyone who isn't using carbon soled shoes (and those are expensive).

Bryan
  IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #26 - Aug 8th, 2010, 8:37pm

I have an ICE trike, and was wondering about the best type/make shoe I should be wearing?  Any suggestions/recommendations??? Smiley

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #27 - Aug 9th, 2010, 1:04am

Sounds trite, but the one that fits your feet the best and you feel most comfortable in.  But it's hard to go wrong with SIDI.

Quote from Ric_Clark on Aug 8th, 2010, 8:37pm:

I have an ICE trike, and was wondering about the best type/make shoe I should be wearing?  Any suggestions/recommendations??? Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #28 - Aug 9th, 2010, 5:56pm

Quote from Ric_Clark on Aug 8th, 2010, 8:37pm:

The type or make rarely is dependent upon the bike, as such -- what works on an ICE works on any trike or other bike, it just depends on 1) what "clipless" attachment system you choose, and what your shoe budget is...  You should be able to find either sandals or MTB shoes that work great for well under $100.  What's important on a trike is to BE clipped in, both so your feet don't slip off at a hard bump and so you can take advantage of the 'circular' pedaling motion (i.e., both push and pull).  Go to a local shop and have your feet measured, and try some on.  However, if you need "wide" shoes, avoid Performance, they never stock wide sizes.

I'm with Bud's comments above, MTB shoes are just better to walk in, when you have to walk...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print