Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 7th, 2024, 11:33pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clipless Pedals (Read 8978 times)
freakflyer9999

Clipless Pedals
Nov 11th, 2008, 4:40pm

This past weekend I purchased my first pair of cycling shoes and cycling pedals.  I've already ridden a few miles with them to get used to clipping and unclipping.  Probably practiced 4 or 5 dozen times at various speeds.  Only one fall and that was before I even left the driveway.

The cleats are installed centered on the shoe left to right and just slightly behind (1/4") the front most position.  So how do I go about determining the best position for the cleat for me?  Just trial and error or is there a more scientific method?

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Clipless Pedals
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2008, 8:43pm

Most recumbent riders seem to prefer the cleat as far back on the shoe as it will go. When I bought my Sidi's, though, I discovered the cleats could be moved quite a bit further back than on my Shimano sandals I had gotten so used to, so I moved the Sidi's cleats enough forward to match the Shimano's.

You may have to do some experimentation, though, to see what you like best.

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2008, 8:44pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2008, 8:50pm

Quote from freakflyer9999 on Nov 11th, 2008, 4:40pm:
 So how do I go about determining the best position for the cleat for me?  Just trial and error or is there a more scientific method?

Last time I bought shoes at RBM, they tried to put me on their "spin bike" to set the cleats, despite my protestations that I was a recumbent rider...  So I let 'em do it, and they were just WRONG, WRONG, WRONG...

I'd go with the typical 'bent recommendation, start with 'em centered, and as far back as possible, then adjust from there.  I doubt you'll have much of an adjustment to make left and right, but everybody's different.  That's why "knee saver" pedal extensions exist.... in case you need your feet spaced out further.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2008, 9:48pm

It is not as Critical when the pedals have "float".  meaning the shoe will turn 15 degrees.

I almost blew my knee because I 'thought' my new SPDs had float. I switched back to my 'red' looks and the pain went away.  I talked to Rhonda at RBM and she fixed me up with the correct pedals.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2008, 9:58pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Nov 11th, 2008, 9:48pm:
It is not as Critical when the pedals have "float". meaning the shoe will turn 15 degrees.

I almost blew my knee because I 'thought' my new SPDs had float. I switched back to my 'red' looks and the pain went away. I talked to Rhonda at RBM and she fixed me up with the correct pedals.

That's a good point to mention. Zero float, like some pedals have, including mtb spd's, don't bother some people, but cause serious knee pain for others. The Bebops I use have 20 degrees of float.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2008, 11:00am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Nov 11th, 2008, 9:58pm:
Quote from jcsadowski on Nov 11th, 2008, 9:48pm:
It is not as Critical when the pedals have "float".  meaning the shoe will turn 15 degrees.

I almost blew my knee because I 'thought' my new SPDs had float. I switched back to my 'red' looks and the pain went away.  I talked to Rhonda at RBM and she fixed me up with the correct pedals.

That's a good point to mention. Zero float, like some pedals have, including mtb spd's, don't bother some people, but cause serious knee pain for others. The Bebops I use have 20 degrees of float.

The Sunlite pedals that I bought have Zero float.  I purchased them because they were in-stock, inexpensive and had a platform on one side.  I wanted the option of using the platform side when needed or if I had major difficulty with clipping in/out.  It is also the same pedal that the shop owner uses on his Ice trike.  

I am looking at some Crank Brothers Egg Beaters pedals on Ebay.  They have a choice of 15 or 20 degrees float dependent upon how the cleats are installed.  The reviews I've read indicate that they are the easiest to clip in and out of.  Does anyone here use these pedals?

Is float usually in just one direction or is it in both directions?  I think that my left foot needs to turn my heel in towards the bike.

I have moved the cleats back as far as possible on the shoe.  This is about an inch behind where I had them previously located.  Hopefully, I can give this a try this afternoon, but I'm babysitting the granddaughter today so I may have to wait.

An earlier post mentioned pedal extenders.  What is the general guideline for pedal positioning?  Shoulder width, slightly wider, slightly narrower?  Being moderately large and having larger thighs, my legs naturally spread wider than a thinner person's might.  Of course, I'm trying to correct this issue by losing more weight.

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2008, 11:01am by freakflyer9999 »  

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2008, 2:20pm

I personally dumped all my SPDs a while back the lack of float just about killed my knee.  I am using Crank Brothers Mallets on all my bikes.  The Mallet gives you the platform but still locks in basically to an eggbeater in the middle of the platform.  Crank Brothers have several pedals like this but I like the Mallet since there is a wide platform for start up spinning.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2008, 3:55pm

Quote from irodguy on Nov 12th, 2008, 2:20pm:
I personally dumped all my SPDs a while back the lack of float just about killed my knee.  I am using Crank Brothers Mallets on all my bikes.  The Mallet gives you the platform but still locks in basically to an eggbeater in the middle of the platform.  Crank Brothers have several pedals like this but I like the Mallet since there is a wide platform for start up spinning.  

I found some Crank Brothers Mallets on Ebay for about $60.  I'm going to give what I have a fair try, but will look again at the Mallets if I decide that I need a different set of pedals.  Are they pretty easy to clip in/out?

I noticed on the Crank Brothers website that their pedals have 6 degrees of float but a choice of 15 to 20 degrees for exit.  I guess that I'm a little unclear what the difference is.  Is float just totally loose without any pressure and the other 9-11 degrees have spring tension?

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2008, 5:27pm

According to some sites there is the 6 degrees of free float and then there is spring tension fighting you till you release. I personally found them to be a bit stiff with the float like there was always a bit of tension but it could be just how I set them up or having used all the float already based on my foot/cleat/pedal angles and such.

I had bebops which have alot of float but it just seemed to be too much float, or too great a release angle, for me to reliably get out of easily and they didnt' quite fit solidly on my sandals or shoes. I really liked sandals too  cry

Oh well back to my road shoes.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2008, 5:35pm

Well I finally got to try the pedals with the cleats moved all the way back as several have suggested.  Seemed to work much better at giving me full power with each stroke on the hills.  Felt more comfortable too.  Only did 7 miles, but the knees felt fine.  I do think that I could stand to put on pedal extenders.  I did feel like my feet and legs/thighs were being scrunched in.

Had one "near" incident.  I unclipped the left foot at a stop sign, but didn't unclip the right.  No problem, right.  Wrong, I fell to the right.  Fortunately, the right foot came out as I fell and I caught myself. embarrassed

If the weather is half way decent, I'll hopefully get to the Trinity Trails on Sunday afternoon.  My goal is to do 30+ miles with the new pedals to give them a good tryout.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2008, 5:42pm

If you decide to go the to TT Sunday, give me a call and my wife and I will probably go with you.  We live in an apartment that backs up to the trail near the 377 endpoint.  We can bike around and grab some lunch.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2009, 3:10pm

Hmmm never even thought about my SPD's not having float. So whats the going favorite right now. I dont wanna get my cycling collection going to far and have to change pedals on 5 bikes later. I have not really ever had SPD issues but then again I have had knee problems since 17 and just figured a little pain was acceptable.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2009, 8:08pm

You'll find lots of different opinions about which pedal is best. I think the Bebops are hard to beat for recumbents. They fit mtb shoes, but the cleat surrounds the pedal, and thus spreads out the pressure on your foot almost as good as road pedals and cleats. And the Bebops have lots of float.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2009, 5:27pm

I now have about 100-150 miles on my Crank Brothers Smarty pedals.  They are easy to clip in and out.  I set the cleats as far back on the shoe as they will go, however, I still get hot foot pretty bad on my left foot.  Today, when the hotfoot set in, I unclipped and pedaled with the arch of my foot directly over the center of the pedal.  This definitely did the trick, but of course I was unclipped.  I've seen some homemade cleat extenders for the 2 bolt cleats and Speedplay has an extender for their 4 bolt cleat.  Does anyone know of a production cleat extender for the 2 bolt cleats or know someone with a machine shop willing to make a pair for a reasonable price?

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
season

rbent member

Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2009, 1:56pm

I'm new to bents and clipless pedals.  I just bought a Bacchetta strada and I love it.  I'm going to get clipless pedals.  I'm leaning towards the Bebop; but, I'm concerned with the compatibility with shoes.  What is the best cycle shop to get help selecting a first pair of shoes and pedals?

Sam
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print