Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 11th, 2024, 5:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Car Carrier Rack (Read 5285 times)
freakflyer9999

Car Carrier Rack
Nov 4th, 2008, 3:28pm

Is anyone else using the Haul-Master Excess Cargo Carrier (or something similar) for their recumbent(s)?  It is only $64.99 at Harbor Freight and about the same on E-Bay.  

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34313

I just ordered a 2" receiver hitch and I'm trying to determine the best way to actually carry my bent on my SUV (KIA Sorento).  My Bachetta Cafe's wheelbase is 57" and this Cargo Carrier is 20" wide by 60" long.  
I plan on mounting a Universal Bike mount to a 2x4 (or 4x4) which I will firmly attach to the cargo carrier.
Then use a couple of ratcheting tie downs to hold it all in place.

Does this sound like a resonable approach?

Would you use the Universal Bike mount with the front wheel removed or just leave the wheel on and strap it all down to the cargo carrier?

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Car Carrier Rack
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2008, 7:28pm

I've hard of a few people doing just that.  I can't recall how well they said it worked for them, but I'll let the more engineering intelligentsia here speak up  Wink

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2008, 8:09pm

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2008, 8:33pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Nov 4th, 2008, 8:09pm:

I had looked at this rack previously.  Most of the reviews seem to say that it is ok especially for the price, but just about everyone that used it on a 2" receiver said "Don't".

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2008, 8:51pm

I used it on a 2" receiver I did buy a 2" to 1 1/4" metal adapter rather then the plastic one they provide. Well I used theirs a couple times but it cracked and it wiggles like crazy.

I carry my giro 26 with most of the gear on it which is far from a lightweight with no problems. I'm not sure how well it would work with a smaller front wheel.

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2008, 8:51pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Tim C.

rbent member

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2008, 9:13pm

If I had a bike that was short enough to fit in a rack with the wheel holders, I would do it.  My Stratus XP XL doesn't work.

My 2" adapter in my 2" receiver wiggles a little bit.  I am probably going to put a velcro strip on one side to create some friction to tighten it up.

2008 RANS Stratus XP
Email   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2008, 9:54pm

Quote from Tim C. on Nov 4th, 2008, 9:13pm:
If I had a bike that was short enough to fit in a rack with the wheel holders, I would do it.  My Stratus XP XL doesn't work.

My 2" adapter in my 2" receiver wiggles a little bit.  I am probably going to put a velcro strip on one side to create some friction to tighten it up.

Your Stratus per RANS website has a 71" wheelbase and the SWAGMAN version of this rack will hold up to a 71" wheelbase bike with the recumbent wheel hoops.

http://www.bikerackshops.com/SGXC2BIKE.html
http://www.bikerackshops.com/SGP3K.html

And it comes in 1 1/4" as well as a 2" version without the need for an adapter.

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2008, 10:01pm by freakflyer9999 »  

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
Tim C.

rbent member

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2008, 9:24am

Thanks.  My previous "Buying Advice" thread did not bring up any responses about this site.    I thought about the Long Bike Tote but ended up buying a rack from Alpaca Carriers.  I turn the front wheel sideways so it is not so wide on my Honda CR-V.  The arms are 29" wide so it provides a lot of stability on a long bike.

2008 RANS Stratus XP
Email   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2008, 10:07am

Quote from Tim C. on Nov 5th, 2008, 9:24am:
Thanks.  My previous "Buying Advice" thread did not bring up any responses about this site.    I thought about the Long Bike Tote but ended up buying a rack from Alpaca Carriers.  I turn the front wheel sideways so it is not so wide on my Honda CR-V.  The arms are 29" wide so it provides a lot of stability on a long bike.

I found the pics of your Stratus on your carrier rack.  That looks like a perfect setup for the Stratus.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2008, 10:26am

It's easy to modify that Xport rack from Performance to take a longer bike. I've done it with mine. For an inexpensive rack, I think it's a good one.

That being said, when I finally stopped buying bikes long enough to afford a nicer rack, I bought a Sportworks rack which I think is one of the finest ever made (Sportworks' non-bus rack division got bought out by Thule, who promptly replaced the Sportworks racks with something cheaper, but which is still a nice rack). After buying the Sportworks rack for my truck, it took me over a year to finally find one of the rare 1 1/4" Sportworks racks for Rose's car (my truck takes a 2"), but I finally did, so I can use all of the Sportworks individual modules on both our vehicles now.  

If you really haul your bike a lot of miles on a rack, I think it's best to save your pennies until you can buy one of the really sturdy racks. The Xport doesn't fall into that category. I'm still keeping my Xport rack, though. It never hurts to have an extra, and it's quicker to adjust it for someone else's bike than my Sportworks.  

For long bikes, it's really hard to beat the DraftMaster racks. If it was mostly my Stratus XP that I hauled, that's what I would own.

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2008, 10:43am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2008, 10:42am

Well, I'm the one with the 4-wheel basket that has been converted to carry 2 CLWB or 2 SW recumbents.  My basket has the end's closed and the bike-tights are mounted there.  My son fabicated two trays for each end for the rear wheel to sit in and then I tie down the rear wheels with velcro straps.  It carries two recumbents nicely and it does have a 2" hitch.  The nice thing is that if traveling long distance, I can put a bag between recumbents as well--bungie it down--and have extra space for more bags.  The Cafe was hauled this way several times. My basked was purchased at a 4-wheel shop on Forum 303 in Arlington, and measures 60"X24" with a 6" rail (enclosure) all the way around it.  I think there may be some pics on the forum under the Cross Timbers ride at TMS.  The shuttles for the rear tire just keep the tires from moving side to side.  I've also tried the Cafe in the Sports rack and the 20" wheel will fit in the "loops". Yes this Cafe has been through 4 of us now and it's a great bike.  Glad your purchased it.  http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm179/jman7659/)   I found partial pics under Joe's photo album at the Collin Classic.  

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2008, 10:57am by diannalightning »  
  IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2008, 7:51pm

Well, my hitch receiver arrived today in less than 48 hours from when I ordered it on E-Bay (seller gethitched).  It's a Curt 2" receiver.  The total cost was $124 with shipping.  Now I just have to crawl under there and mount it.  It is supposed to bolt right on without any drilling.

Based on Dianna's confirmation that a similar setup worked for her, I think I've decided to try my original idea.  Even with sales tax the cargo carrier is less than $71 and I already have the universal bike mount and the ratcheting tie downs.  It'll also come in handy for hauling camping gear, etc.  when I go back to the Rockies next year.

Hopefully Harbor Freight will have it in stock tomorrow.

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2008, 7:54pm by freakflyer9999 »  

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2008, 4:21pm

Not only did Harbor Freight have the carrier in stock, but it was on sale for $15 off.

I got the cargo carrier and hitch receiver all set up and working.  Used it to haul my bent over to the Trinity Trails on Sat where I did 22+ miles.  Not too bad for an old fat man.

Anyway the carrier worked perfectly.  Next time I load it all up, I'll get a pic or two for others future reference.  The Bachetta Cafe fit perfectly as though it were made for it.  This setup wouldn't have taken a bike with a wheelbase more than 1 or 2 inches longer without some other mods.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #13 - Nov 25th, 2008, 1:50pm

Ok. I finally got around to taking some pics of my car carrier with the Bachetta Cafe on it.  The Cafe has a 57" wheelbase.  This is the longest wheelbase that would work on this particular carrier without some additional mods.  I don't think it would be that difficult to handle longer wheelbase bents on this.

There are some other closeups in the Photo Album.

http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr17/freakflyer9999/Recumbent%20Car%20Rack/

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print