Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:13am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Four States Tour (Read 698 times)
Sweeper

rbent member

Four States Tour
Oct 23rd, 2008, 4:23pm

Oct. 11, 2008
Day # 1--33.4 miles--MPH average 9.2---This is my average, most were a mile or so faster.
Five riders, Ken, Bob, Tom , Jerry and myself, met at Lake Hawkins. At 10am we were loaded, we all were pulling trailers with 35-50 lbs of gear, and headed for Winnsboro citty park. Good roads, with shoulders part way. Lots of rolling hills, most seem to be rolling up. About noon a lttle mom and pop cafe appeared on the horizon and being hungry, we stopped for a hamburger and fries and some rest.  We arrived at the park about 3 pm. They were have a county festival  this weekend. After setting up our tents, a couple of us wondered over to the Tractor Pull (a first for me) was very interesting, most of the tractors were from the 1950's. After tiring from the tractor pull, we unhitched our trailers and rode about a mile or so to the D.Q. for our supper. We are near a railroad and trains blew their horns throughout the night.

Oct. 12, 2008
Day # 2--43.2--MPH average 8.2
Up at 6am-tent down and packed by 7am. At first light we took off for food, a Do-Nut shop we had spotted yesterday afternoon. We were on the road about 8:30am to the Daingerfield State Park. We had a slight head wind all day and more hills all day. We did have a good shoulder most of the day. Not much going on out here, we did have a dog follow us for almost ten miles, I was begining the think Ken was going to put him in his trailer and take him with us. Got in camp at 4:30pm, set up tents and then took our first shower of the trip.  Felt VERY good. Good thing we cleaned up, we had vistors that afternoon. First a lady and her husband who were traveling and camping by motorcycle walked over to our camp site and wanted pictures of us and our bikes. About dusk a couple of young ladies came to our camp wanting to look and and ride the trikes. Said they were students at SMU. Anyway, Jerry, said "sure you can ride mine." Did I mention they were wearing bikinis?

Oct. 13, 2008
Day # 3--56.5 Miles-- MPH average 8.2
Left the park at 7:30am with about a mile and a half climb out of the park, had a great breakfast about five miles down the road in Hughs Springs, about noon we all got a shake a D.Q. in Linden. Supper was at a Subway in Vivian, La and we just made it to the city park camp in time to get set up before dark. Very hot, no wind at all. We did have ants and mesquitos. Early to bed, without a shower, but we are having fun. Also another railroad track by the park.

Oct. 14,2008
Day # 4--53.9 miles--average 9.0
Left Vivian at 8am with our first stop 18 miles down the road. More Very steep hills today, until we entered Arkansas and the road flatten somewhat. Arrived in Lewisville, Ark. at 3:30 and could not find the park. Ended up staying inside the Methodist church, not bad, we had AIr and water for washing off. The pastor's wife was from Ashdown, my home town. Did not know her. Real nice folks.

Oct. 15, 2008
Day # 5--27.8 miles--average 8.9
After a good nights sleep at the church we had breakfast at the Club 29 Cafe, this is where the locals hand out, they all wanted to know where we were going and why? ( we really had no good answer for that one). They did have great food and we all left full, over full. Had a two mile climb out of town, then nothing between there and Hope. In Hope we were met and had photos taken with the mayor, a very nice man, he spent about 30 minutes with us. We  rode by two Bill Cinton childhood houses, some took pictures, other Booed. Then stopped for a few minutes at the Hope museum, which was in an old railroad station.
We then checked into our Hotel, took a real shower, a long one and washed our dirty clothing. It started to rain as we were walking next door to get a steak dinner.

Oct. 16, 2008
Day # 6--48.5 miles--9.5 average
Was raining when we hit the road this morning, a heavy mist. and stayed that way all day. Arrived in Ashdown about 1:30 and stayed at McDonald's for about an hour drinking coffee and watching the weather. My brother drove us to Millwood lake area where we have catfish at the "Fish Bowel". Good. We spent the night in my brothers barn.

Oct. 17, 2008
Day # 7--55.4 miles--8.6 average
A cold start this morning. We all had our cold weather gear on and it felt good. About noon it had warmed up and we were doing great. This day had very narrow roads with lots of log trucks. Many, many hills today. But, we arrived in Idabel, Okla. about 3:30pm and jerry knocked on the door of the Trindity Baptist Church and talked them into letting us stay the night in their gym. Again, we had a free place with showers and ice cream and cokes. (we did leave a love offering at both churches) We all have a chicken fried steak at a next door cafe and we all agreed that is was our best meal so far.

Oct. 18, 2008
Day # 8--76.2 miles--9.2 average
Today was our longest day. We left McDonalds as the sun came up. Cold, 54 degrees and little wind. Today include a rest stop just before crossing the Red River for the second time on this trip.  As we pulled into the Ser. Station a group of about 10-12 motorcycles pulled in from the other direction, they were all dressed in their leathers. We had a nice, but short visit, as we had a long way to go. We did stop at the Red River long enough for pictures. We got into Bogata, our planned stop for the day at 3pm and with great weather and a slight tail wind we decided to go for Mt Veron, about 22 miles down the road.  Stayed at the Super 8 Motel, and had another good shower.  Showers were something we looked forward too. Tom dropped out today, his knee had been giving him problems for the last few days so he called his wife to pick him up.

Oct. 19, 2008
Day # 9--45.3 miles--8.1 average
Last Day...Everyone on their bike and head south at 8am. Winnsboro is 18 miles away and our first rest stop. VERY long hills today and lots of them. A little head wind. Took a break in Winnsbore at the same Do-Nut shop we ate breakfast last Sunday. After Winnsboro, nothing but hills and more hills all the way to Lake Hawkins. We got in just in time to hear the Cowboys score.  We have very little contact with the outside world for a whole week, which, to me was good.

I know I had a good time, I could have done with less hill, but I did not have to walk any so that was good. I belive the other riders also had an enjoyable time. If you notice, there are a few things repeating themselves, trains near every park, few showers, Lots and Lots of hills, And FOOD.  

Sorry this is so long, but it was a long week.

Email   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Re: Four States Tour
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 4:39pm

Great report Jim,

I have been to nearly every place you mentioned and hunted in most of them. Hills , hills and more hills hehe.  you guys started and ended in my neck of the woods...Im right between Hawkins and winssboro.  

If i am ready i will be on that run with yawl next year, i need to get a trailor to tow behind it before then and many many more miles under my belt : )

Thanks for the report, it was a very good read : )

Don

Email   IP Logged
Cookie

rbent member

Re: Four States Tour
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:03pm

"GOOG JOB" of reporting our tour.  Smiley
I am loading your picture into the Photos Catagory.

Cookie

Cookie
Use to walk but Now I ride
2007 Rans Stratus XP

Bent in Granbury
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print