Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2004 Fusion (Read 567 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

2004 Fusion
Oct 13th, 2008, 12:03am

The Grocery Getter is almost in ridable condition. I robbed the crank bolts from the Stratus to hold the salvage cranks to the BB on the Fusion, and sized the chain. The bike can be ridden around the block, but without a seat pad on the pan to keep my bony butt from sliding around I wouldn't take it any further than that, and my wife (the rider the bike was ultimately intended for) won't have a chance at staying on the bike. Also I'm having some shifter issues with the SRAM 9.0 shifter and the SX4 rear derailler. I get 1st and 8th gear fine, 2nd and 3rd usually shift right in, but after that I get some weirdness. When I shift into 4th it eventually goes to 5th ditto 6th and 7th going up a gear. Going the other way Dropping from 8th to 7th gets me nothing on the cassette, but dropping to 6th gets me 7th, and so on until I put the shifter in 3rd which gets me 3rd instead of 4th, then 2nd and 1st. I'm going to try tightening the shift cable and see what happens.

That weirdness aside, I like this bike as far as I have been able to ride it so far, less than a mile total. I can't say anything about how well it rolls with it's salvage front wheel and rear tire, but I have already had a flat tire. I forgot to put rim tape on the new rear wheel before installing the tire and turned the tube into swiss cheese. Whoops! I'm still making the bracket for the Honking Huge Tailighttm but my bending brake went down (is this bike cursed?) and then I cut the wrong corner off the bracket (I think this bike is cursed) and tore out all the electrical connections at the switch, including the insides of the switch (I'm pretty sure this bike is cursed now).

The brakes on this bike are freaking awesome. I used a set of 2 finger alloy levers off a BMX bike with sidepull calipers, and I have Avid linear pull brake calipers on the bike. The levers were made with enough pull to work linear pull brakes, but with enough leverage to lock up sidepull calipers. I thought I was going to do a stoppie a couple of times the back end got so light. I'm worried about the rear rim collapsing from the braking forces because there's so much flex in the rim sidewall.

Another weird thing about this bike is it whistles. No tunes or anything, just a single note whenever the speed get high enough or the wind blows fast enough, but I can't find the source. I tried making sure the handlebars were stopped up but that didn't do anything, so there is another source somewhere...

Handling, the bike was very twitchy when compared with the Zenetik, almost aggressive, but stable. By that I mean riding in a straight line is not hard, but the bike wants to turn hard when you try to turn it. Part of that is the handlebars I salvaged off my daughter's 30 YO BMX bike, and the fact that they are slightly ahead of the steering axis, and part of that is the 20X1.5" Kenda Kwest recumbent tire up front. The tire was very hard to lock up in a straight line and as I posted earlier wanted to lift the back end rather than lock up, and was hard to slide on clean pavement when turning also. Good tire. The 8 YO Michelin Wild Gripper City 26X1.5 tire was a little slick, but it was a little slick 8 years ago, except in the rain. Wink

Those handlebars I mentioned were chosen because they offer a huge amount of real estate for instrumentation and lights. There is the normal area by the clamp that would hold a light and a computer, and then there is the crossbar that would hold several lights, computers, GPS units, horns, sirens, map clips, Etc.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: 2004 Fusion
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2008, 11:01am

The bike's HAUNTED, Opus....    Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2008, 2:05pm

Well now that I have had some rest I finished sorting the shifters so that I now get all the gears sequentially instead of skipping some of the cogs. It took 3 turns on the barrel adjuster to get the funky shifting worked out. Still looking for something to use as a seat pad. The old pad off the Stratus' bucket seat might fill the bill temporarily but as it is already worn out it won't last for long. I'm going to have to buy some more metal for the bracket as all I have now is way overkill and too stiff for the bender, I had bought it to make dropouts and frame gussets not taillight brackets. Plus I have to find some $$ to buy new switches to replace the one that was destroyed, and get some MR 16 LED bulbs and some conduit unions to make headlights. I'm making one for the Grocery Getter and one for the Stratus, salvaging parts from the Stratus' current headlight to use as a low beam and using the MR 16 bulbs as a high beam.

I just read this and it reads like I'm manic or something, but I get that way when I get a bike almost finished.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2008, 11:13pm

I have ridden the Grocery Getter less than a mile, and I have already had to clean the chain. I kid you not there was enough cat hair on the chain to build another cat! And the dead bugs? Whatever was on the chain from the factory must have only been to prevent rust, because every insect, stray cat hair, random dust particle, and spec of dirt in my living room (where GG lives for now) was on that chain. Removing and replacing all that factory lube in the drivetrain really loosened things up and made the whole thing much easier to spin now. The heavy duty Coroplast for the grocery panniers is on its way and I'm moving the HHT from the chopper mount to between the panniers. The wires look cleaner up there out of the way and the light is easier to see at wheel-top height instead of axle height.Still waiting on the MR 16 bulbs for the high beams, I don't know what their delivery problems are over there, I selected "Cheapest way" but I didn't think they even had delivery sloths.

One trick I tried on GG was the "putting both feet on the pedals before starting to pedal" trick. That was something I used to be able to do when I rode MTB to work, but I was never able to do it on a 'bent before. I know GG isn't technically a 'bent, but she feels almost like a shorter version of the Stratus- She even has the same gearing I used to run on the Stratus a few years ago, 11-34 rear and 53-39 front.

All I need now is some kind of grabby thin cushion to keep my butt from sliding off the seat, and to wire up the lights to make her legal at night.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print