Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:21pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paluxy Pedal 100k (Read 499 times)
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Paluxy Pedal 100k
Oct 11th, 2008, 2:41pm

Last year's ride wore me out to the point that I shortened it to the 44 mile route, too much chipseal and of course the 19% hill called "The Wall". This year I at least wanted a better result on the 60 mile. Decent turnout, maybe 300-400 riders, good SAG support and rest stops. First 30 miles were on okay pavement although after that it was semi-rough chipseal packed down slightly better than last year.  

If you want hills this is the ride, just when you think you've done all the hard ones here's another with the Garmin showing a total of 2,500 feet. Oddly enough I wasn't all that tired at the end. Yes I still walked the bike up the Wall...someday I'll fix that granny gear.

57.64 miles
3 hours 20 minutes
147 bpm average, 177 peak
18.2 mph average

Pictures should be up later tonight at www.lifeonabaron.blogspot.com

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2008, 2:44pm by mleuck »  
  IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Re: Paluxy Pedal 100k
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2008, 7:56am

Not many bents at this year's Paluxy Pedal - Mark, Brent (friend from Houston), Roy (friend from Wichita Falls) and me.  Charlie came but rode his upright.  If Ray was there I never saw him.  Also thought Brian was coming but didn't see him either.  Main reason I do this ride is to see if I can get any closer to scaling The Wall.  1st year was pretty bad, maybe 1/4 of the way.  Last year was close, maybe 80%.  This year wasn't even as good as the first!  Oh well, back to lifting weights.  I did get my all time fastest max speed on a bent - 45.4 mph.  Steve, my upright racing friend from work, had a great time hanging on my wheel on the downhills.  He kept saying "man that thing is fast!"  We passed a lot of other uprights and heard a lot of "geez" or some other exclamation as we blew past.   Overall had a great time, mostly just nice easy riding with Steve and his wife Becky.  And NO CRAMPS!  43.66 miles, 15.02 avg.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2008, 8:20am

Quote from robert.j on Oct 12th, 2008, 7:56am:
 I did get my all time fastest max speed on a bent - 45.4 mph.  .

Wooohoo!  Must be a heck of a downhill, my best on Goatneck at the TTTT is 41...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2008, 10:42am

Quote from robert.j on Oct 12th, 2008, 7:56am:
Not many bents at this year's Paluxy Pedal - Mark, Brent (friend from Houston), Roy (friend from Wichita Falls) and me.  Charlie came but rode his upright.  If Ray was there I never saw him.  Also thought Brian was coming but didn't see him either.  Main reason I do this ride is to see if I can get any closer to scaling The Wall.  1st year was pretty bad, maybe 1/4 of the way.  Last year was close, maybe 80%.  This year wasn't even as good as the first!  Oh well, back to lifting weights.  I did get my all time fastest max speed on a bent - 45.4 mph.  Steve, my upright racing friend from work, had a great time hanging on my wheel on the downhills.  He kept saying "man that thing is fast!"  We passed a lot of other uprights and heard a lot of "geez" or some other exclamation as we blew past.   Overall had a great time, mostly just nice easy riding with Steve and his wife Becky.  And NO CRAMPS!  43.66 miles, 15.02 avg.

I was looking for Ray as well since he went last year, I spent the middle part of the ride fending off a group of 15 uprights and the stupid thing was I walked up one steep hill thinking IT was the Wall only to find out it wasn't and that I had actually ridden up it last year... go figure

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print