Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:15pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
My first Recumbent Bike and Ride (Read 9418 times)
Don

rbent member

My first Recumbent Bike and Ride
Oct 2nd, 2008, 2:15pm

Hi Guys.

I Got my First Recumbent bike a few days ago, (30th Sep) It came in 2 box's and other than the pictures on this site and on ebay i really hadnt seen one.   Going by the pictures and memories of the last time i put a bike together (24 years ago) i started to put this thing together.

It didnt take to long since handle bars, Tires, forks all go on the same as they have always went on. then the seat.wow its different than the old type of butt killer type seats.  The thing that took me longest was to get the back gear thing on that the chain runs through.  all together it took me about 2 hours sitting behind the car in our driveway to get it looking like a bicycle again.

What i got was an EZ-1 SC Lite with aluminum frame and rims. This bike looks cool! almost like a chopper : )

It was nearly dark when i got it put together but i had to take it for a ride, Heck thats why i got it. Mostly i just wanted to make sure i could ride a bike. I havent been on one since 1979 and due to my condidtion i havent walked over a few hundred yards in probably 13 years or so....... for me this is a life changer and somethin i know i need if i intend to get any type of mobility back.

I ended up riding it maybe 1/4th mile and ajusted the handle bars and seat a bit then rode it another 1/4 mile before parking it for the night.  The front tire is small 16 inches and really takes a bit to get used to (Im still geting used to it)  I live out in the country with blacktop roads. I tryed to turn around while riding the bike and couldnt do it without the front tire geting off the road and me stopping and picking up the bight to turn it back twards home.  I know this is just a matter of me getting used to the bike and learning how to ride it better. it rides like a chopper so Turns will be wider but also they are doable, i was just nervous and probably to slow.

When i got back home my wife was waiting, honestly she is more woried about me than i am. My legs were a little sore, actualy the underneeth of my thighs were all that was sore and it was a good thing because it was just muscle burn, my neck back and shoulders had ZERO pain and for me that is a godsend!

I woke up the next morning (Yesterday) and roade about 3 miles in total, i tryed to do the routes that i thought would be easy and somewhat flat..what i found out is,There are no flats where i live LOL

I dont understant the gearing thing on these type bike and trying to go up the hills i would either make the peddleing way to hard or so easy that the bike would stop moving wheil waiting on my peddleing to catch up.  I had to stop 3 different times due to leg and knee muscle pain but was Loveing it! I was outside and i could see everything like a normal persons perspective!  

When i got home i was sore but doing ok till i sat down and rested for a bit, then my legs gave out and i was walking like a drunked sailor in lots of pain, its funny i know i didnt ride far at all but my body is certain it just did a marathon : )

The mind says i should be able to jump on the bike and ride but my Body knows that the mind can be silly sometimes and i know mine is : )

Over all so far i am loving this Bike, i cant ride today or hardly walk for that matter, but tomorrow i will be back on the road and trying it again, maybe try to not mess up with the gears so much so i can go a little farther.

Thanks for reading,

Don

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: My first Recumbent Bike and Ride
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2008, 3:41pm

Hey, Nice job!  It's always hard starting out.  I doubt I rode even a mile my first time.  It took years for me to understand the gears and how to best use them for the grade of the road - assuming I know how to do it even today, of course!   Wink

Just keep at it, and you'll grow by leaps and bounds.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2008, 4:06pm

Some suggestions:

On the gears...  While you're getting used to the bike, put the front into the middle chainring, and just LEAVE it there, and get used to working with the back wheel 7 (or 9?) gears.  That should give you the middle 75% of the available gearing on the bike, without causing any problems.  You really only have 12 or 13 real gears anyway.

To educate yourself further, read THIS    

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

Then read THIS

http://sheldonbrown.com/gain.html

Try to pedal in as low of a gear as possible, keeping your pedal RPMs up in the 60-80 range.  That will help keep excess stress off of your knee joint -- and also give you more power.  It's a lot easier to climb an incline pedaling fast than pedaling slow.  When you're more confident on the bike, THEN work on front/rear gear combinations...

Regarding the 16" front wheel -- relax your steering grip.  I've got an EZ-1.  It's GOING to wobble, with that small of a front wheel, but it's also going to be very easy to correct a wobble.  And U-turning (or turning in general) gets easier the more you learn to lean into the turn.  ESPECIALLY relax your steering (and shoulders) when going slow -- you'll find the bike will steer itself.

While you're riding, keep two fingers on the brakes at all times.  Since you're just essentially resting your hands on the tops of the grips, it's no big deal to just lay your fingers across the brake handles.  That way, they're there when you need 'em!!!!

Keep us posted on your progress!  And DRINK WATER...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:06am

Don,  

Veery cool. Cheesy I remember my first recumbent ride...I ran over a dog Tongue. It is great, isn't it? You will be fine. Give yourself time and enjoy the discovery process that comes with riding recumbent. There are tons of information out there and many great people  who will gladly help you along. It helps if you are a tinkerer too.

See you down the road,

RichardC

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2008, 1:09pm

It amazes me just how hilly my area is and how steep some of the completely flat streets are when I got back on my bike and then again when I started again riding a recumbent.  

After only a couple years off after moving to Texas I think just a lap around my block on my old bikeE almost killed me two years ago. The bikeE has a 16" in front and a 20" if I remember correctly. Just mind those rail road crossings and expansion joints gaps that you can't hit straight on.  Actually I'd suggest walking or shuffling across the railroad tracks with both feet on the ground at least the first couple of times especially if you have to take them at an angle.

I think my first fall was from taking a right turn into a parking lot too tight. The little front wheel wouldn't go over the lip of the driveway so the wheel went hard to the left and I went right onto the pavement. Didn't do that again it just became natural to plan a good angle of attack or to tightly hold the handlebars when needed.

« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2008, 1:10pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2008, 4:13pm

Thanks guys for the advice and the web links.

I had been reading that site that you linked as one of the Rbenters has been comunicating with me some through email and send it and a few others for me to look at.

I put the front derailure on the second sprocket and just used the back one today and it worked much better for me.

Today i only road 2 miles in total but they were good productive miles for me.  The trip has me going up one incline that is about 15 degrees for a little less than a half mile and i only had to stop one time, not because of my legs being tired but because i had to caugh out half my lungs and catch my breath....it was something that was needed and will help me on my next trip tomorrow.  I did NOT walk the bike at all i rode it all the way up the hill and then on the way back home i got to ride down that same incline.

Talk about fast going down hill, i dont know if the speedometer thing is right but it got to 37 mph and i started pumping the break to get it down to about 15 wich seemed better to me.  there is one hill on the wayhome, not but a few hundred hards to my house. this hill isnt long but it is Steep. I would say its 25 to 30 degrees and maybe 300 or so feet from bottom to top...I road up this one too and i was proud of that accomplishment......Heck i cant walk up that hill without stopping : )

I got home and stretcked my legs a bit they wernt hurting at all, they were a little stiff and the felt puffed up like a ballon that had just been blown up with lots of air...................I think this bike is going to really be a big help. my lung are going to finaly feel like they are needed and my body will get back some of its vitality rather than just being something to hold down the recliner.

I did reset the break handles so that i could rest my fingers on them and when i go to town next i am going to get some oil for the chain.  Oh and today i had no shifting problems.  I do knw that walmart doesnt have any chain oil in the bicycle department. i was thinking of getting some 3 and 1 oil to use. Hopefully that will work, i know it has a small stem on the can so would be easy to use.

Again, thanks for the tips guys. Looking forward to oneday seeing some of you on the road : )

Don

Email   IP Logged
Tim C.

rbent member

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2008, 8:15pm

Don,

Any more ride updates?  We enjoy reading your posts.

Tim

2008 RANS Stratus XP
Email   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2008, 5:00pm

Hi Tim,  

Sorry it took me a while to get back to posting guys, i was having computer problems and then had to remember my sign on info.

I have been riding 3 to 4 days a week, depending on how i feel and i am getting better at riding the bike.

Yesterday i rode the furthest i have gone so far. 5.1 miles. the milage thing on the bike i dont think is acurate (and i dont know how to use it) so i bought one from walmart only to find out it wont read correctly on a 16 inch tire. So after my ride yesterday i got in the car and checked, 5.1 for me that was the goal i was shooting for by the end of the month so i am very happy with that.

Honestly everyone that knows me was totaly against me doing this because of my condition, but now they are blown away that i am actualy doing it, heck i am blown away. the 24th is my birthday and my wife bought me a watch for my birthday to check my heart rate so its a new toy i can use when i feel like my heart is going to explode lol.

On the 5 mile ride i had no problems my legs did get stiff and on one hill i got off the bike and stretched till my breathing slowed some and then just got back on the bike and kept going. My new mantra is Just keep peddling ; )

My next goal is going to be 8 to 10 miles, i wont really know how far till after i do it, i am thinking of going tomorrow and giving it a shot.  Basicly it will be to my mothers home and back, ride there, take a break and ride back.then get in the car and measure it.  Im not trying to set any speed records or anything but i know the longer i am on the bike the better it is for me health wise.  

I am still having a problem with the derailure at times but i am just forgetting about that and just riding. the only thing i am doing is oiling the chain and checking the tires to make sure they stay ok.  I dont really know how often to oil the chain so for now i am doing it every other ride.

Another thing is sometimes the bike is compleatly silent when peddleing sometimes i can hear the chain hitting the sprockets , i am thinking that is the derailure being slightly off,am i correct?

Im glad to be back and look forward to reading everyones posts, honestly i get inspiration from all of the stories.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Don

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2008, 7:16pm

When you first start to wear in a bike usually the cables will stretch a little which mean adjustments will be required to make the front and rear gears lined up or brakes nice and tight.  

Some cyclocomputers (mileage tracker) will go down to 16" tire sized but the chart won't list it, I do have one that you have to pick form a few preset tire sizes and that is it. A good site to check for that is http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html and just click on A-F to find the chart matching the calibration used (inches, centimeters, millimeters) in the others on your instruction chart if your computer model isn't set.

Heart rate monitors are great. For me it helps make sure I'm actually getting a workout and that I'm not going to go into heart valve regurgitation territory which is not where I wanna be personally.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 2:40pm

Hi Mark,  

Thanks for the link, i have been reading that site for a couple of weeks, i think Paul had also linked it to me as well as a member emailing me some info. I have tryed to adjust the derailurs but havent had much luck, the bike itself isnt new (Just new to me) I bought it used, i think its 2 or 3 years old  

I just got back from riding to my mother house and set another record for myself 6.1 miles.  I had intended on riding back but they were coming over and he had a truck so i took the ride.  I have to say though that i am loving this bike, I am having little learning things everyday on it. Today was the first time i really leaned it into the turns and it is feeling more and more like a chopper i used to have hehe.

the ride from my door to theirs took me 48 minutes so i am thinking its slightly over 7 miles and hour, im pretty happy with that. There are some really big hills that i took on and although they are hard, they keep getting easier : )

Health wise i already notice my breathing is getting better, and believe that i am standing straiter than i have in many years. my head and neck are still really looking down to where my chin nearly touches my chest but my back is more upright so that is a big plus.

One of the things i am planning on doing is after a few more rides i am going to lean the seat farther back and adjust the handle bars more twards me so that i will be more inclined and let gravaty try to help straiten me more, Possibly even my neck.

My last trip to my doctor i was told that i have less than 20 percent lung capacity.........I think that is slowly going up!

Also my resting hart rate is around 58-60  I checked it several times on this trip, the highest when i was really breathing hard it was at 148 the other times it was 126 and 134. so im thinking this will help my heart aswell.

Thanks again guys for all of your help and advice.

Don

Email   IP Logged
Tim C.

rbent member

Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 9:18pm

Don,

My Vetta RT 55 cyclometer says that for a 16 x1.5 tire the setting is 1206.  That should get you close enough.

I really enjoy your posts.  You are really an inspiration with what you are accomplishing.

We need to have a Tour de Don and head out your way some weekend.

Tim

2008 RANS Stratus XP
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2008, 8:38am

Just awesome!  Keep it up, but just make sure you do it in a safe way!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #12 - Oct 24th, 2008, 3:08pm

Thanks Tim and Greg.

I wrote the numbers you mentioned down for the computer thing on my bike...im going to try to figure it out tomarrow as i will be taking the day off.  Greg i am as carefull as someone that cant turn his head in any direction can be, I am going to get a flag for the bike because of the hills here. My backpack i put behind the seat has some red on it also, but i am going to see if i can stitch some bright reflective color on that.

In the country people have their cars and trucks outside so the pollin and dust gets on their windows, often making it hard to see when they are driving into the sun. that is one of the things i think about when picking a time to ride.

Now for todays ride : )

8.7 miles 1 hour and 14 minutes.

It was a good ride , started out really cold but i breath better in the cold, the air seems fresher to me.

I am honestly loving this, i have been outside more this month than i have in the last 15 years.....and i think its just gonna keep getting better.

Today is my Birthday (44) so i have lived a lot longer than the doctors figured i would and honestly i feel better today than i have in a very long time.       GO BENT!

Thanks again guys for all the help and inspiration.

Don

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2008, 6:23pm

Don,  

A good thing to have visible from the back of your bike is the standard slow moving vehicle triangle like these. Most of the rbenters who do randonneuring use them.

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2008, 6:23pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #14 - Oct 28th, 2008, 1:28pm

Hi Bud, Those look awsome!

My wife got me a bike flag 6 foot white pole with a little orange flag on it made by bell, wal mart had them for 5 dollars. she also got a orange plastic hunters vest for 1 dollar.  I took the hunters vest and put it around the Backpack behind the seat, it is pretty bright so should be a big help.  Th flag i havent mounted yet as i have to make a few fabrications to get it on the bike.

Mostly just need to get a couple of hose clamps and some plastic tubing from the hardware store. been sick the last few days so hopefully if feeling ok i can get that done tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the info, pictures and help.

Don

Email   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2008, 4:26pm

Hi Guys,

7.4  miles today, Kinda a ruff ride in absolutly beautifull weather. I think there are more colors of green right now than crayoloa has in their biggest box. Fall colors are amazing, there were squarls all alng my ride running aroiund and gathering acorns, (Not the political group type) that had fallen from all of are magestic oaks.

On one small stretch of my ride i had a Race with a young calv, hom on one side of the fence and me on the road side. I am proud to say i won......he ran out of open pasture before i ran out of open road : )

Todays ride started out pretty ruff, I mentaly said screw it to some of the things that happened and just decided to enjoy the ride. I will list some of the things though.

I put the flag on the bike last night, that actualy worked out great! its about 7ft in the air : )

I had reset the Bell odometer with new numbers and was trying it out today, it was a mess, just kept zeroing out and wanting me to recalibrait it again....Frustraiting.

I carry 2 water bottles on the handle bars and today both of them got jarred out of their holders and i got jarred pretty hard as well... i was getting off the road becaue a car was comeing up on me pretty fast and i wasnt sure they could see me or were even looking for that matter.  there was a small dip that had been patched before (I guess a washout under the blacktop) but it ended up being just big enough to really make the little 16 inch front tire take a hop in and out of it. I delt with that fine, no wreck or anything just a nice hard jar, neither waterbottles broke and i was good to go after relaxing for a few minutes and letting my muscles loosen back up.

The first half of the trip althought had some bumps was really enjoyable, tyhe perfect tempature to be riding and just the right ammount of wind.  I had been sick the last few days and it really showed this ride, my legs and lungs were showing me i need to be riding as often as possible.  One other really good thing happened.

On my way home, Just before i get to my house is a Hill that is fairly steep......it was the first hill i had climbed on this bike and i was really proud when i did it. today, i felt like i just demolished that hill. i climed it in 3rd gear and was driving the peddles like I was talking to the road with my bike......that hill doesnt scare me anymore : )

Oh, i think i am going to take the odometer off and just use the car to check the routes i do...for now anyways its less frustraiting to me.

Thanks for reading, and thank you all for the help

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2008, 7:33pm

Don't unhook all the wiring and sensor for the computer/odometer, just either turn it away from you, or just remove the computer part (but store it where you remember where it is!)   Cheesy

evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2008, 8:08pm

You can also use google maps pretty easily now or bikely.com to map your routes. May save some wear and tear on your car plus show you some neat routes you might not see from ground level.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Lrodshy57

rbent member

Reply #18 - Oct 29th, 2008, 9:02pm

Don,
I am not really familar with what bike you have, however, I just read you have a "16 inch" front!
Since most front wheels are not related to much else, have you considered switching that complete front end with a bigger fork, wheel? Realling about your neck condition, feel it would raise your vision even more.
Shall try looking for a picture of your bike to see if it can be done safely.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2008, 9:28pm

People have converted EZ-1 bikes to a 20" front wheel. The most popular technique has used an EZ Sport fork. But because any other fork doesn't have the optimum rake for the EZ-1, most reviews of the conversions haven't been that favorable. I advise leaving the 16" front wheel and fork as is.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Oct 30th, 2008, 1:06am

The recommended fork for converting the EZ-1 to a 20" front wheel is the EZ Tandem fork, which I think is the same fork as the EZ-3 with the 20" option uses.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lrodshy57

rbent member

Reply #21 - Oct 30th, 2008, 9:53am

"Mr." Bent and Opus,
When I first read about Don's (bike) problem and wishing a bigger, wider tire, I just replyed with an obvious 'brainsstorm"? After looking up the profile of Don's bike, I noticed a possible conflict with pedal radius.  
Thank you both for opionning. Regarding 'optimum' rake , I feel Don just wants a fun and comfortable thing to ride! I have just two 20" forks and can't get away without a 'mom' sitter. Sure hope some of you can donate time and fork/wheel to Don. (If it fits and he likes it, great! If not, no problem with switching it back). and as a group efford to visit him! He once stated 'in my present condition', I would more of an anchor and I don't wish to hold them back'.
Guys (and ladies), would the group be there to improve his 'speed'? or to visit, meet, encourage him to even more accomplishments?
Hope to read about just such a planned group ride/visit!

Email   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #22 - Oct 30th, 2008, 2:00pm

Hi Guys,  a little over 5 miles today.

WOW, I kinda feel like i opened a bag of worms with my last post : (

I am kinda looking at yesterdays ride as (Its Just part of it)  ya know. Im not the perfect canidate to be a rider of any type bicycle and I know i started on a entry level bike so there are some things to be expected so no biggie.  I honestly was just discribing the ride and there were some posative things there as well, I took a hill in 3rd gear : ) one that my first try just a few weeks ago i had to walk the bike up and then struggle and then take a break, im getting better one inch at a time.

The odometer that i complained about is a bell wireless one, i just unclipped the moniter part and put it in a drawer in the house.

Getting a 20 inch front tire, i think would be a good thing, but it probably is just something that i Think would be a good thing. doing some reading on the bike from others who have done it, there are plus and minus points about it. and the bike was build with the 16 so probably best to keep it as designed.

all of my riding has been on Blacktop / chip seal and some of it is the Bolder type as discribed in some of yawls posts.  By no means am i complaining, heck a month ago I was just dreaming of getting a recumbent bicycle and feeling the wind in my face and praying i could actualy ride it. Hck i have riddent the recumbent more this month than i have driven the car in the last 3 months : )

I would love to meet some of you guys but honestly i would be a total embarrasment riding with any of yawl right now and probably for several more months. I am slow in comparison to anyone right now, but i am getting fitter and faster!

I will keep this bike till i can build or buy something like this with 26 inch back tire and 20 or 26 front tire. looking at all the pics there are several bikes i know i can ride the one Paul has in his Pic and I think probably any LWB bike so eventualy it wont be a problem upgrading to one, i think there are alot of them out there.

Please dont take yesterdays post as complaining, it was just me going over some of the stuff that happened along the way. Im pretty happy to be on this board and to have met all of you guys on this board.  I know i have posted about my condition, besides having A.S. I have had 5 lower back surgerys and for a while i was paralized , for nearly after that i needed assistance walking and to go anywhere i had to have a scooter.

My biggest point is. This Bike is a life changer,sure many see its just a great ride, comfterble relaxing.....For me its more.

I want others to know it too. I know there are lots of disabled people that could benafit from this type bike.

Sorry about rambing,  

Thanks for reading,
Don

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #23 - Oct 30th, 2008, 4:06pm

Hey don't worry about it, Don.  Some of us are faster than other, but you can find riding partners on this board at any pace you like.  We just had a get together a couple weeks ago with 21 of us.  Some of did the ride at 18mph and some of us did it at 7.   We all still work together just fine!

Just keep riding!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Oct 30th, 2008, 6:34pm

Don't sweat it Don. I'm one of those guys that just naturally likes to tinker with things and "improve" them. And I'm always on the lookout for hotrodding projects that other people have undertaken, just to see what they did and how they did it. I find the knowledge transfers to my own projects more than you might imagine.

FYI you can change the rake on forks 2 ways, by bending the fork tubes or by extending the dropouts forwards. If your fork is of the straight tube with offset dropouts like the BSO in wally world, you can just cut the existing dropouts of and weld on new ones that have more or less rake as you need it. If you add lots of rake you may need to move the wheel up a touch to keep the brakes in alignment with the rim. This is the method I use to make FWD forks as the BSO forks are extremely strong if you use 1/8" bar or plate to make the new dropouts, and that FWD needs less trail/more rake than bicycles that only use their front wheels to steer with Wink  

For your bike get a fork off a BSO, and a 20" wheel you want to use, then mount the fork and find out how much rake you'll need to prevent your toes from hitting the tire, and make dropouts to fit. Then either cut off the old dropouts and weld the new dropouts to the fork, or you can use the old dropouts as doublers and weld the new ones to the fork and the old dropouts. You can convert your front to disk brakes at this time by incorporating the caliper mount into the left dropout, it makes even the fork off a BSO look high tech.

Email WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #25 - Oct 30th, 2008, 6:39pm

Boy - That went way over my head.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #26 - Oct 30th, 2008, 9:57pm

BSO= Bicycle Shaped Object, commonly found in discount stores and other outlets that sell other things besides bicycles.

Dropouts= those funny shaped pieces on the fork that hold the front wheel on.

Trail= the distance between the steering axis intersection with the ground and the ground patch of the tire. Distances behind the steering axis are positive trail.

Rake= the offset between the steering axis and the center of the front axle on a fork. Distances ahead of the steering axis are positive rake.

Rake and trail are related but not identical as rake, headtube inclination, and wheel diameter change the trail.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #27 - Oct 30th, 2008, 10:52pm

Thanks Opus,

I was actualy thinking i needed to take Greek or something : ) your explination was a huge help.  

Don

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #28 - Oct 31st, 2008, 11:51am

Quote from Opus the Poet on Oct 30th, 2008, 9:57pm:

Rake and trail are related but not identical.....

Yes, most riders at White Rock prefer the trail to be swept, not raked...   Cheesy

Don

rbent member

Reply #29 - Oct 31st, 2008, 5:27pm

Hi Guys,

Got in 6 miles today, not sure if weather or something was effecting the ride or not but had some major hip socket pain and stiffness after the first few miles.  Other than that it was a nice easy ride in beautifull weather.

I am trying a differnet route tomorrow, I didnt measure it by car yet and probably wont till i have acualy sucsessfully done it, but i think it will be about 12 miles and a mile or two on HWY (EEK)  but i am looking forward to it and some different sceanery.  

Im not sure i will make this rout till monday as i dont like riding to much on weekends with the way traffic is even on my back roads, but depending on how nice it is and how itchy i get i might be out and about.  

thanks for reading guys  Smiley

Don

Email   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #30 - Nov 4th, 2008, 4:04pm

Hi Guys,

I got 6 more miles in yesterday and just under 8 miles intoday. both days I got on some fairly ruff blacktop and by the time i got back home my neck was bothering me pretty bad, after a long talk with my wife I made a call to one EZracers and had them order me a 20 inch front fork and tire to make the bumps feel smaller and hopefully smooth out the ride a little.

I have been riding the bike to the south of my house since i got it, just going around Local blocks and sometimes to or 3 blocks to get miles in, the hills are really non stop and i feel like i am really building up my leg muscles but not heping my lungs as much as i could on longer routes with less hills so I started thinking of a bigger riding area and came up with something that i should have already thougt about.... ( Im kinda slow)

If i ride North of my house i can cross HWY 154 and ride a much leveler area, heck i can ride about 5 miles and get on HWY 37 that has a nice wide shoulder on it all the way to winnsburrow.  I think this would be a really good ride well over 25 miles round trip but not to many big hills.

I got an early christmas gift also, a trunk mounted Bike rack, will carry up to 3 bikes with a 100 pound capacity so 2 bikes with no problem. i wanted to get a two bike rack so my wife can ride with me.....she is starting to catch the bug from me : )

The bike rack is made by bell and i have already tryed it,,,,,,Works great and doesnt take long to put on or take off.  It looks like my wife is going to need to go visit her family in Denver Colorado as one of he sisters is having some health issues and since i cant let her make that ride alone i will take my bike and due some bikeing up there.....that should really be good for my lungs : )

11 months to try to get ready for the 4 state ride : )  

Thanks for reading,
Don

Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #31 - Nov 9th, 2008, 9:55am

Hey Don, I have been off the board for a while and just read your post. You are doing great and an inspirational writer. I have muscle problems as well from a progressive spinal disease so I can relate very well, like it is easier to ride up the hills on bents than to attempt to walk  Wink. Yesterday I used Dianna's EZ 1 Lite like yours on a ride with her and Carolyn on her new EZ Tandem on the shorter 27 mile Westward Ho route which has a fair sampling of good hills and some beautiful lake side views. The Lite is a blast to ride as you have discovered so you are making all the right decisions. I will be joining Carolyn and some others here at rbent by the first of the year on my own EZ Tandem, it is in layaway right now at Bicycles,Inc in Arlington.
I look forward to meeting and riding with you.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Tim C.

rbent member

Reply #32 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 9:25pm

Don,

Update us on your exploits.  Did you get the 20 inch and does it make a difference?  You are an inspiration to the group and we don't want to lose touch.  We still need to have a Tour de Don this spring.

Thanks.

Tim

2008 RANS Stratus XP
Email   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #33 - Oct 14th, 2010, 4:26pm

Hi Guys,  

Sorry for the long gap between now and my last post. A lot of stuff happened to me health wise that would take to long to explain. oh and my computer crashed......that didnt help anything.  Its just great to be back.  My wife had to tell me my password cause i couldnt remember.    I have been reading all the posts and trying to get caught up with what everyone is up to.  

The last time i posted I had just ordered the conversion set up for the EZ-1 LITE.  I finanly got it in the mail and installed it, It makes it like a compeatly different bike. My longest ride before I had to stop riding was 22 miles.

That was not long after my last post and i wasnt able to post about it because of computer problems. then i was doing some riding around the house and had to pull off  the road into the ditch because of traffic and when i went to put my foot down on the ground one of them didn’t reach the ground and the bike fell over. This has happened 3 times to me. They always hurt but never to bad that i cant relax and get back on.  The last time it happened though it was worse. My neck and collar bone were killing me and it was just bad......I ended up calling my wife and she came and got me.  A little before this i had also gotten another recumbent bike, and Actionbent Roadrunner...it is beautiful and fully suspended and i can’t ride it for the same reason.

Since then it was one thing after another with health issues and finally about 2 months ago i started feeling good again and starting to get stir crazy. I finally got the wives ok to ride again and started riding. I sometimes like to ride right after I get up and my wife and I don’t always get up at the same time so she made me promise to put the phone by her pillow so she will wake up if I have an accident or something.

I have been riding again for about 2 weeks and it’s just like when I first started but this time I know what to expect. Leg muscle pain and lung pain LOL  

All was going good except I fell again. I’m more nervous now and I think I need to get 3 wheels under me instead of the 2 wheels I have been riding on. I have been looking into trikes the last couple of days. I think they will let me get off the road when I need to without worrying about falling over and I will still get the same benefits of what I need to help my body and spine straiten up some due to the laid back seating position.  

I like the looks of the Sun Tadpole and other ones I have seen like that on Youtube.  I know because of the hills here that I have to have more that 8 gears like the Terratrike offers.  I have seen the EZ 3 type trikes too and im not sure about them but am pretty certain that the low ones like the tadpole would be safe for me, and fun to ride.  

Im going to put my Sun EZ 1 lite (Aluminum frame with 20 inch conversion) and the Actionbent suspended Roadrunner (26 in the back 20 in the front) on the trade or sell part of the site and see if anyone has a trike they might want to swap.  I don’t have a way to get a Trike to my house as I don’t think one would fit in the car and probably not on the rack either : (

The Actionbent still looks like a brand new bicycle.  The EZ1 doesn’t look new but it rides great and the paint is also really good its gun barrel grey factory paint. The Actionbent is Yellow.

Its great being back and looking forward to reading more about some of the up coming trips

Thanks Don  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print