Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:18pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My first Recumbent Bike and Ride (Read 9421 times)
Don

rbent member

Re: My first Recumbent Bike and Ride
Reply #30 - Nov 4th, 2008, 4:04pm

Hi Guys,

I got 6 more miles in yesterday and just under 8 miles intoday. both days I got on some fairly ruff blacktop and by the time i got back home my neck was bothering me pretty bad, after a long talk with my wife I made a call to one EZracers and had them order me a 20 inch front fork and tire to make the bumps feel smaller and hopefully smooth out the ride a little.

I have been riding the bike to the south of my house since i got it, just going around Local blocks and sometimes to or 3 blocks to get miles in, the hills are really non stop and i feel like i am really building up my leg muscles but not heping my lungs as much as i could on longer routes with less hills so I started thinking of a bigger riding area and came up with something that i should have already thougt about.... ( Im kinda slow)

If i ride North of my house i can cross HWY 154 and ride a much leveler area, heck i can ride about 5 miles and get on HWY 37 that has a nice wide shoulder on it all the way to winnsburrow.  I think this would be a really good ride well over 25 miles round trip but not to many big hills.

I got an early christmas gift also, a trunk mounted Bike rack, will carry up to 3 bikes with a 100 pound capacity so 2 bikes with no problem. i wanted to get a two bike rack so my wife can ride with me.....she is starting to catch the bug from me : )

The bike rack is made by bell and i have already tryed it,,,,,,Works great and doesnt take long to put on or take off.  It looks like my wife is going to need to go visit her family in Denver Colorado as one of he sisters is having some health issues and since i cant let her make that ride alone i will take my bike and due some bikeing up there.....that should really be good for my lungs : )

11 months to try to get ready for the 4 state ride : )  

Thanks for reading,
Don

Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #31 - Nov 9th, 2008, 9:55am

Hey Don, I have been off the board for a while and just read your post. You are doing great and an inspirational writer. I have muscle problems as well from a progressive spinal disease so I can relate very well, like it is easier to ride up the hills on bents than to attempt to walk  Wink. Yesterday I used Dianna's EZ 1 Lite like yours on a ride with her and Carolyn on her new EZ Tandem on the shorter 27 mile Westward Ho route which has a fair sampling of good hills and some beautiful lake side views. The Lite is a blast to ride as you have discovered so you are making all the right decisions. I will be joining Carolyn and some others here at rbent by the first of the year on my own EZ Tandem, it is in layaway right now at Bicycles,Inc in Arlington.
I look forward to meeting and riding with you.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Tim C.

rbent member

Reply #32 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 9:25pm

Don,

Update us on your exploits.  Did you get the 20 inch and does it make a difference?  You are an inspiration to the group and we don't want to lose touch.  We still need to have a Tour de Don this spring.

Thanks.

Tim

2008 RANS Stratus XP
Email   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #33 - Oct 14th, 2010, 4:26pm

Hi Guys,  

Sorry for the long gap between now and my last post. A lot of stuff happened to me health wise that would take to long to explain. oh and my computer crashed......that didnt help anything.  Its just great to be back.  My wife had to tell me my password cause i couldnt remember.    I have been reading all the posts and trying to get caught up with what everyone is up to.  

The last time i posted I had just ordered the conversion set up for the EZ-1 LITE.  I finanly got it in the mail and installed it, It makes it like a compeatly different bike. My longest ride before I had to stop riding was 22 miles.

That was not long after my last post and i wasnt able to post about it because of computer problems. then i was doing some riding around the house and had to pull off  the road into the ditch because of traffic and when i went to put my foot down on the ground one of them didn’t reach the ground and the bike fell over. This has happened 3 times to me. They always hurt but never to bad that i cant relax and get back on.  The last time it happened though it was worse. My neck and collar bone were killing me and it was just bad......I ended up calling my wife and she came and got me.  A little before this i had also gotten another recumbent bike, and Actionbent Roadrunner...it is beautiful and fully suspended and i can’t ride it for the same reason.

Since then it was one thing after another with health issues and finally about 2 months ago i started feeling good again and starting to get stir crazy. I finally got the wives ok to ride again and started riding. I sometimes like to ride right after I get up and my wife and I don’t always get up at the same time so she made me promise to put the phone by her pillow so she will wake up if I have an accident or something.

I have been riding again for about 2 weeks and it’s just like when I first started but this time I know what to expect. Leg muscle pain and lung pain LOL  

All was going good except I fell again. I’m more nervous now and I think I need to get 3 wheels under me instead of the 2 wheels I have been riding on. I have been looking into trikes the last couple of days. I think they will let me get off the road when I need to without worrying about falling over and I will still get the same benefits of what I need to help my body and spine straiten up some due to the laid back seating position.  

I like the looks of the Sun Tadpole and other ones I have seen like that on Youtube.  I know because of the hills here that I have to have more that 8 gears like the Terratrike offers.  I have seen the EZ 3 type trikes too and im not sure about them but am pretty certain that the low ones like the tadpole would be safe for me, and fun to ride.  

Im going to put my Sun EZ 1 lite (Aluminum frame with 20 inch conversion) and the Actionbent suspended Roadrunner (26 in the back 20 in the front) on the trade or sell part of the site and see if anyone has a trike they might want to swap.  I don’t have a way to get a Trike to my house as I don’t think one would fit in the car and probably not on the rack either : (

The Actionbent still looks like a brand new bicycle.  The EZ1 doesn’t look new but it rides great and the paint is also really good its gun barrel grey factory paint. The Actionbent is Yellow.

Its great being back and looking forward to reading more about some of the up coming trips

Thanks Don  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print