Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My first Recumbent Bike and Ride (Read 9450 times)
Don

rbent member

Re: My first Recumbent Bike and Ride
Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2008, 4:26pm

Hi Guys,

7.4  miles today, Kinda a ruff ride in absolutly beautifull weather. I think there are more colors of green right now than crayoloa has in their biggest box. Fall colors are amazing, there were squarls all alng my ride running aroiund and gathering acorns, (Not the political group type) that had fallen from all of are magestic oaks.

On one small stretch of my ride i had a Race with a young calv, hom on one side of the fence and me on the road side. I am proud to say i won......he ran out of open pasture before i ran out of open road : )

Todays ride started out pretty ruff, I mentaly said screw it to some of the things that happened and just decided to enjoy the ride. I will list some of the things though.

I put the flag on the bike last night, that actualy worked out great! its about 7ft in the air : )

I had reset the Bell odometer with new numbers and was trying it out today, it was a mess, just kept zeroing out and wanting me to recalibrait it again....Frustraiting.

I carry 2 water bottles on the handle bars and today both of them got jarred out of their holders and i got jarred pretty hard as well... i was getting off the road becaue a car was comeing up on me pretty fast and i wasnt sure they could see me or were even looking for that matter.  there was a small dip that had been patched before (I guess a washout under the blacktop) but it ended up being just big enough to really make the little 16 inch front tire take a hop in and out of it. I delt with that fine, no wreck or anything just a nice hard jar, neither waterbottles broke and i was good to go after relaxing for a few minutes and letting my muscles loosen back up.

The first half of the trip althought had some bumps was really enjoyable, tyhe perfect tempature to be riding and just the right ammount of wind.  I had been sick the last few days and it really showed this ride, my legs and lungs were showing me i need to be riding as often as possible.  One other really good thing happened.

On my way home, Just before i get to my house is a Hill that is fairly steep......it was the first hill i had climbed on this bike and i was really proud when i did it. today, i felt like i just demolished that hill. i climed it in 3rd gear and was driving the peddles like I was talking to the road with my bike......that hill doesnt scare me anymore : )

Oh, i think i am going to take the odometer off and just use the car to check the routes i do...for now anyways its less frustraiting to me.

Thanks for reading, and thank you all for the help

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2008, 7:33pm

Don't unhook all the wiring and sensor for the computer/odometer, just either turn it away from you, or just remove the computer part (but store it where you remember where it is!)   Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2008, 8:08pm

You can also use google maps pretty easily now or bikely.com to map your routes. May save some wear and tear on your car plus show you some neat routes you might not see from ground level.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Lrodshy57

rbent member

Reply #18 - Oct 29th, 2008, 9:02pm

Don,
I am not really familar with what bike you have, however, I just read you have a "16 inch" front!
Since most front wheels are not related to much else, have you considered switching that complete front end with a bigger fork, wheel? Realling about your neck condition, feel it would raise your vision even more.
Shall try looking for a picture of your bike to see if it can be done safely.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2008, 9:28pm

People have converted EZ-1 bikes to a 20" front wheel. The most popular technique has used an EZ Sport fork. But because any other fork doesn't have the optimum rake for the EZ-1, most reviews of the conversions haven't been that favorable. I advise leaving the 16" front wheel and fork as is.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Oct 30th, 2008, 1:06am

The recommended fork for converting the EZ-1 to a 20" front wheel is the EZ Tandem fork, which I think is the same fork as the EZ-3 with the 20" option uses.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Lrodshy57

rbent member

Reply #21 - Oct 30th, 2008, 9:53am

"Mr." Bent and Opus,
When I first read about Don's (bike) problem and wishing a bigger, wider tire, I just replyed with an obvious 'brainsstorm"? After looking up the profile of Don's bike, I noticed a possible conflict with pedal radius.  
Thank you both for opionning. Regarding 'optimum' rake , I feel Don just wants a fun and comfortable thing to ride! I have just two 20" forks and can't get away without a 'mom' sitter. Sure hope some of you can donate time and fork/wheel to Don. (If it fits and he likes it, great! If not, no problem with switching it back). and as a group efford to visit him! He once stated 'in my present condition', I would more of an anchor and I don't wish to hold them back'.
Guys (and ladies), would the group be there to improve his 'speed'? or to visit, meet, encourage him to even more accomplishments?
Hope to read about just such a planned group ride/visit!

Email   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #22 - Oct 30th, 2008, 2:00pm

Hi Guys,  a little over 5 miles today.

WOW, I kinda feel like i opened a bag of worms with my last post : (

I am kinda looking at yesterdays ride as (Its Just part of it)  ya know. Im not the perfect canidate to be a rider of any type bicycle and I know i started on a entry level bike so there are some things to be expected so no biggie.  I honestly was just discribing the ride and there were some posative things there as well, I took a hill in 3rd gear : ) one that my first try just a few weeks ago i had to walk the bike up and then struggle and then take a break, im getting better one inch at a time.

The odometer that i complained about is a bell wireless one, i just unclipped the moniter part and put it in a drawer in the house.

Getting a 20 inch front tire, i think would be a good thing, but it probably is just something that i Think would be a good thing. doing some reading on the bike from others who have done it, there are plus and minus points about it. and the bike was build with the 16 so probably best to keep it as designed.

all of my riding has been on Blacktop / chip seal and some of it is the Bolder type as discribed in some of yawls posts.  By no means am i complaining, heck a month ago I was just dreaming of getting a recumbent bicycle and feeling the wind in my face and praying i could actualy ride it. Hck i have riddent the recumbent more this month than i have driven the car in the last 3 months : )

I would love to meet some of you guys but honestly i would be a total embarrasment riding with any of yawl right now and probably for several more months. I am slow in comparison to anyone right now, but i am getting fitter and faster!

I will keep this bike till i can build or buy something like this with 26 inch back tire and 20 or 26 front tire. looking at all the pics there are several bikes i know i can ride the one Paul has in his Pic and I think probably any LWB bike so eventualy it wont be a problem upgrading to one, i think there are alot of them out there.

Please dont take yesterdays post as complaining, it was just me going over some of the stuff that happened along the way. Im pretty happy to be on this board and to have met all of you guys on this board.  I know i have posted about my condition, besides having A.S. I have had 5 lower back surgerys and for a while i was paralized , for nearly after that i needed assistance walking and to go anywhere i had to have a scooter.

My biggest point is. This Bike is a life changer,sure many see its just a great ride, comfterble relaxing.....For me its more.

I want others to know it too. I know there are lots of disabled people that could benafit from this type bike.

Sorry about rambing,  

Thanks for reading,
Don

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #23 - Oct 30th, 2008, 4:06pm

Hey don't worry about it, Don.  Some of us are faster than other, but you can find riding partners on this board at any pace you like.  We just had a get together a couple weeks ago with 21 of us.  Some of did the ride at 18mph and some of us did it at 7.   We all still work together just fine!

Just keep riding!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Oct 30th, 2008, 6:34pm

Don't sweat it Don. I'm one of those guys that just naturally likes to tinker with things and "improve" them. And I'm always on the lookout for hotrodding projects that other people have undertaken, just to see what they did and how they did it. I find the knowledge transfers to my own projects more than you might imagine.

FYI you can change the rake on forks 2 ways, by bending the fork tubes or by extending the dropouts forwards. If your fork is of the straight tube with offset dropouts like the BSO in wally world, you can just cut the existing dropouts of and weld on new ones that have more or less rake as you need it. If you add lots of rake you may need to move the wheel up a touch to keep the brakes in alignment with the rim. This is the method I use to make FWD forks as the BSO forks are extremely strong if you use 1/8" bar or plate to make the new dropouts, and that FWD needs less trail/more rake than bicycles that only use their front wheels to steer with Wink  

For your bike get a fork off a BSO, and a 20" wheel you want to use, then mount the fork and find out how much rake you'll need to prevent your toes from hitting the tire, and make dropouts to fit. Then either cut off the old dropouts and weld the new dropouts to the fork, or you can use the old dropouts as doublers and weld the new ones to the fork and the old dropouts. You can convert your front to disk brakes at this time by incorporating the caliper mount into the left dropout, it makes even the fork off a BSO look high tech.

Email WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #25 - Oct 30th, 2008, 6:39pm

Boy - That went way over my head.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #26 - Oct 30th, 2008, 9:57pm

BSO= Bicycle Shaped Object, commonly found in discount stores and other outlets that sell other things besides bicycles.

Dropouts= those funny shaped pieces on the fork that hold the front wheel on.

Trail= the distance between the steering axis intersection with the ground and the ground patch of the tire. Distances behind the steering axis are positive trail.

Rake= the offset between the steering axis and the center of the front axle on a fork. Distances ahead of the steering axis are positive rake.

Rake and trail are related but not identical as rake, headtube inclination, and wheel diameter change the trail.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #27 - Oct 30th, 2008, 10:52pm

Thanks Opus,

I was actualy thinking i needed to take Greek or something : ) your explination was a huge help.  

Don

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #28 - Oct 31st, 2008, 11:51am

Quote from Opus the Poet on Oct 30th, 2008, 9:57pm:

Rake and trail are related but not identical.....

Yes, most riders at White Rock prefer the trail to be swept, not raked...   Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Don

rbent member

Reply #29 - Oct 31st, 2008, 5:27pm

Hi Guys,

Got in 6 miles today, not sure if weather or something was effecting the ride or not but had some major hip socket pain and stiffness after the first few miles.  Other than that it was a nice easy ride in beautifull weather.

I am trying a differnet route tomorrow, I didnt measure it by car yet and probably wont till i have acualy sucsessfully done it, but i think it will be about 12 miles and a mile or two on HWY (EEK)  but i am looking forward to it and some different sceanery.  

Im not sure i will make this rout till monday as i dont like riding to much on weekends with the way traffic is even on my back roads, but depending on how nice it is and how itchy i get i might be out and about.  

thanks for reading guys  Smiley

Don

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print