Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:11am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weekend Ride with My Son (Read 621 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Weekend Ride with My Son
Sep 23rd, 2008, 5:52pm

Got my son, Rowan, out for a long ride on Saturday. He enjoys riding his trike around the neighborhood, but he doesn't always want to consider longer distances when there are such important things as video games to be played at home. Consequently, bribes come in handy. In this case it was "Wild About Harry's" on Knox street. Rowan LOVES Harry's, so he jumped at the chance to ride there for lunch. It is just slightly over 7 miles from our house in the Cliff to the shop but Rowan was so enthusiastic we rode nonstop from door to door. Our route took us across the river, through downtown, and on to the Katy trail.  After lunch, I was told that,  since I had incorrectly stated the intended mileage (I guessed it was closer to 5 miles) prior to the start of the trip, I also owed him a visit to the Apple and Current Energy stores. This accomplished, we started back but the return trip took quite a bit longer than the initial journey because the frozen custard incentive was already eaten and I foolishly thought he would actually be ready to go home. We finally made it home after about a hundred stops for giant tv screens, bird identification, splashing in fountains, counting gargoyles, a parked Lambourghini and other myriad activities. No complaints here, though. I had a GREAT day riding with him. He did tell me, after we got home, that his seat started feeling a bit too hard on his backside after a few miles so I'll have to look into getting or making some sort of extra cushion for him. Next challenge: finding someplace else to ride that he likes as much as Harry's but will continue pushing the mileage envelope.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Weekend Ride with My Son
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2008, 8:42pm

Sounds like a good time out and around -- how old is your son, and what kind of trike does he ride?  I got my 20-yr old daughter out for a couple of 20 milers last year, and my 17-yr old stepson likes to go out for 20-25 milers on the EZ1.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2008, 10:17pm

What the heck is wild about harry's?  I must know!!!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2008, 11:14am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 23rd, 2008, 8:42pm:
Sounds like a good time out and around -- how old is your son, and what kind of trike does he ride?  I got my 20-yr old daughter out for a couple of 20 milers last year, and my 17-yr old stepson likes to go out for 20-25 milers on the EZ1.

Rowan is 12 and rides a KMX Cyclone that he got for his birthday last May. The Cyclone is a ruggedly built little trike that is designed to withstand a lot of abuse. KMX trikes are designed for use offroad and in skate parks, as well as street riding.  It has 7 speeds and has a maximum weight capacity of 145 lbs, perfect as a first trike for him.  I had hoped I might be able to upgrade some of it's components, over time, but the Cyclone doesn't appear to be a very good candidate for that. At some point, I'll need to find a used  Catrike Pocket or Terra Trike for him  but, for the time being, he is pretty happy with it.

IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2008, 11:22am

Quote from aikigreg on Sep 23rd, 2008, 10:17pm:
What the heck is wild about harry's?  I must know!!!

Wild About Harry's is a hot dog and frozen custard emporium on Knox Street, about a block off 75. Very tasty and completely unpretentious.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print