Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rockwall 32 miler (Read 536 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Rockwall 32 miler
Sep 18th, 2008, 9:52pm

Hit the Rockwall cycling store ride tonight -- the 5:30 start didn't get communicated too well, so we didn't roll until about 5:50, with only 5 of us (at least two others came out for the old 6:30 time, and just got 15 miles or so in).

So, Joey led the 5 of us out, and after about 4- 5 miles of warmup, we cranked it up to 25.  He slacked off for a couple miles after the hilly section on McDonald, then cranked it back up again, running at 22-23 in to the wind all the way to the Blackland turnaround.  I took a pull for a few miles, but basically stayed out of the way into the wind (but was complimented on the pull).

Once we reached the turnaround point, we had a bit of a tailwind, and the lead rider was doing 22-24 again.  After a couple miles of upslope at this pace, the road flattened out, and just for the hell of it, I cranked it up to 28-30 for about 5 miles -- which essentially blew the ride apart...   Wink embarrassed undecided    Joey and another rider stayed up with me, and the other two dropped off.  I planned to stop and regroup where 205 crossed, but the other two didn't pause (much)...  and since I wasn't that familiar with the last couple miles of the route back, I caught back up and basically hung with Joey the rest of the way at 25+, back through the hills and the climb up McDonald.  Joey turned off for home, and another rider and I were the first ones back --  -- I walked inside, and said, "First one back wins, right?"  Cheesy  --  which seemed to take Jason (owner) by surprise  Cheesy   Roll Eyes

I consider it a greatly successful "tuneup" ride for next week's TTTT.  I didn't have to really knock myself out to hang on with the group, although it was a strong workout.   At the 28 mile point, I had a 23 mph average, despite the hills...  finished with 33.5 miles at 20.  The XStream continues to be an excellent fast ride, and a very good climbing machine.  It was fun hanging with Joey and the boyz...  Granted, I have no illusions that Joey couldn't have dropped my butt anytime he wanted to, if he was so inclined!!!!   Wink

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Brad Bedell

rbent member

Re: Rockwall 32 miler
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2008, 10:33pm

Glad to hear it turned out nice. I've been wanting to head out that way for one of their rides soon.        

Mark was thinking that you'd be doing the GDB thurs night ride at the lake tonight.    

For what it's worth,  Drafting a Baron with a DF.   Mark is worth about 60-70 watts worth of draft at 27mph.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print