Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jackrabbit Stampede (Read 935 times)
catroad254

rbent member

Jackrabbit Stampede
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:39am

I did the Jackrabbit Stampede yesterday. This ride has bad reviews but since this ride was where I did my first metric century a couple of years ago I thought I would give it a shot. The bad reviews must be having an effect because the crowd was much lighter than the last time - around 200 riders. Except for wind later in the morning the weather was perfect for riding. The ride was slated to start at 7:30 but was delayed for some unknown reason until 7:45. There was no PA system so o one could hear what was happening. The only other recumbent rider was Bob on his yellow banana boat.

There is not much in the way of climbing on the ride - 1518 feet on the 100K route. The chipseal more than make up for the climbing. More than 90% of the route is chipseal and some was so rough it rattled the water bottles out of my cages. Some of the roads were also busy with no shoulders. Route markings were adequate using signs with arrows. No traffic control was provided except at the start line. Rest stops were well located and were well stocked. All of the volunteers were friendly and helpful. They posted the ride as being closed at 2:00 but they closed and packed up at 12:30. Luckily I had already finished and eaten. They had free hot dogs, shaved ice and soda at the end.

Overall, I doubt that I will do this ride again unless the route changes significantly. The chipseal just beat me to death.

Corsa Ken

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Jackrabbit Stampede
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2008, 9:21pm

Yeah, the chipseal around Forney out there is pretty prevalent... Good report, Ken, sorry you didn't have more company!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2008, 11:17am

I wasn't even aware of this ride, and as it turns out, maybe it's just as well. Good report, Ken.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2008, 1:36pm

It was on the bicycle-stuff web page.