Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Bike Clubs Invade Venus (Read 1157 times)
Bud_Bent

The Bike Clubs Invade Venus
Sep 1st, 2008, 6:20pm

This ride, hosted jointly by FWBA and GDB, rolled out of the Venus town square a few minutes after 8:00 am this morning. There were a little over a hundred riders, not as many as the last time I did this ride, but still a nice turnout. richardr joined me on the hundred mile route, ready to tackle his first century. We rode a pretty brisk pace the first 10 miles down FM157. As I turned into the store parking lot at Maypearl for the first stop, my average was 19.2 mph. Hardly anyone stopped there, so Richard and I swung right back out of the parking lot, and headed south onto FM66.  

At that point, Richard and I were pretty much by ourselves, but FWBA members Don and Susan on a tandem caught up to us on one of the hills there, and we did the rest of the ride with them. The next turn was onto FM308, going to Milford. I had forgotten what long hills there are on that stretch. When we got to Milford at mile 26, the store we were supposed to stop at there was closed down. That would become a theme for the day.  We were also scheduled for a stop at mile 62 at Avalon, but that store was also closed down, so we just took a shade break there.

We turned east on SH22 at Mertens, straight into the east wind, which had started to pick up. We finally reached Blooming Grove at mile 43, our first real stop. Gary and Dana on their tandem rolled in a few minutes later, and joined us for the rest of the ride. The route next turns north and heads toward Waxahachie, giving a scenic view of Lake Waxahachie before you get there, for the last stop of the ride at mile 81.

Then comes FM875, with the rollers and tough traffic until you top the hill at mile 91, and it's a 40 mph downhill followed by a relatively flat finish. At the top of that hill, I couldn't resist taking off and hammering the rest of the way in. Like first centuries usually are, Richard's first century was tough, especially when he hit the wall at around mile 75. I'll let him tell all the details in his report, but just say that he finished the ride strong. Congrats on the first century, Richard!

Most of the roads on this ride are low traffic roads, but like so many rural low traffic roads in this area, there is a lot of chipseal on the ride. It also needs to be modified some, because of the two closed stores. I ended up with 98.3 miles at a 15.3 mph average. I sat in the shade and chatted with several FWBA folks after the ride, and was reminded that this club has a lot of really nice people. I grumble about their routes now and then, but I really can't say enough good things about the club members.

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2008, 6:21pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Re: The Bike Clubs Invade Venus
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2008, 9:37pm

Yes I managed to make it through the 100 mile ride thanks to a lot of encuragement and patients from Bud and the two tandem teams.

I felt quite good through mile 70, mile 75 was the low point,  I was getting very low in energy and managed to ride the bike just off the pavement.  When I went to get back on my front wheel caught the lip and tipped me over into the road.  Fortunately Bud's quick reactions kept him from running over me and I didn't have a scratch, nor did my bike with the exception of a little rub on the corner of my left grip.  I was a little shaken up, light headed and had to take a few minute breather and eat a packet of GU.   This gave me the energy I needed to ride the 5 miles to the next stop.  At the stop I drank a Slim-Fast as recommended, which really helped my recovery.

Bud continued to pace me through all the rolling hills until we cruising down the last hill with only flat road to Venus.  

As I type this, I am worn out, but don't feel bad.  My most sore muscles are my butt probably do to all the chip seal.

Richard

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2008, 10:50pm

nice job fellas!  I had planned to come out, but when the alarm went off I just couldn't get out of bed.  I still hurt too much.  Funny what staying up all night riding can do to your internal mechanisms.  It looked like a great day for a ride, though I didn't step outside except to grill some chicken and pork.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:38am

Quote from richardr on Sep 1st, 2008, 9:37pm:
Yes I managed to make it through the 100 mile ride thanks to a lot of encuragement and patients from Bud and the two tandem teams.

I felt quite good through mile 70, mile 75 was the low point,  I was getting very low in energy and managed to ride the bike just off the pavement.  When I went to get back on my front wheel caught the lip and tipped me over into the road.  Fortunately Bud's quick reactions kept him from running over me and I didn't have a scratch, nor did my bike with the exception of a little rub on the corner of my left grip.  I was a little shaken up, light headed and had to take a few minute breather and eat a packet of GU.   This gave me the energy I needed to ride the 5 miles to the next stop.  At the stop I drank a Slim-Fast as recommended, which really helped my recovery.

Bud continued to pace me through all the rolling hills until we cruising down the last hill with only flat road to Venus.  

As I type this, I am worn out, but don't feel bad.  My most sore muscles are my butt probably do to all the chip seal.

Richard

Richard ,congratulations on your century ride. You had a good mentor in Bud. Now you're ready for 200k's.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2008, 9:26am

WTG, Rich!!  Especially with the 1-3/8 tires you run on that bike!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:38am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 2nd, 2008, 9:26am:
WTG, Rich!! Especially with the 1-3/8 tires you run on that bike!!

Actually, they're the same 1 1/4" Kenda Kwests that I run on the SXP.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:49pm

Sounds like you had alot of fun out there Richard! I usually have my pavement incidents at the very beginning of time trial runs. Not sure why but the grass looks so comfy. Maybe that is why I'm looking to get even wider tires so I can ride through ditches easier  Cheesy

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print