Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First Outings on the New Trike (Read 2955 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

First Outings on the New Trike
Aug 30th, 2008, 9:34am

I had a bit of a slow start on my new trike. It arrived at RBM the day we were leaving to go on vacation. While on vacation, we got word of a death in the family so, although I picked it up, I didn't get to ride it due to funeral arrangements and traveling. Then we had to move my daughter back to college. When I finally got my big chance to take it out on my street for the first time, a neighbor almost hit me head-on with his Suburban. He was in a hurry to get home and when he turned onto the street, he decided to drive down the wrong side intending to park at the curb. He finally saw me and swerved back across the street and into the opposite curb, missing me by about 8 to 10 feet. Undeterred, I have continued to ride almost daily, but have discovered that there is a lot of hostility on the streets. One morning I had three different guys yelling variations of "get your (insert expletive of choice here)  out of the road". Ironically, none of them were even on my side of the road but they felt compelled to whine nonetheless. Last weekend, I went to White Rock and almost had a guy back over me at a stop sign. He got impatient with the driver in front of him and decided to go around. I realize a trike is harder to see but I could see this guy in both of his mirrors before he started backing up. He just didn't look. Guess I'll need to get a horn as that "reverse" on my trike is not responsive enough for my liking. Smiley

In spite of these little incidents, most of my rides have been great fun for me. I ride to work most days and find that it makes my whole day more enjoyable. Each time I ride, my safety checklist gets a bit longer as I try to anticipate common hazards as well as the dumb stuff people do while driving. The trike is way more fun than my bike ever was but does require more vigilance on my part.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: First Outings on the New Trike
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2008, 11:58am

You're just getting the bad stuff out of the way first....

1)  Get a couple flags, for better visibility to drivers;

2)  Ride defensively -- anticipate the worst, hope for the best

3)  Post some pictures!!!!!   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2008, 12:25pm

Patti,

For me it is a given that the driving public, in general, are not watching out for you. That being said, you can ride quite safely if you just get into that defensive state of mind. In addition, there are enough people hanging out the window waving "cool bike" and kids jumping up and down screaming with delight at your approach, that it more than balances out. Cheesy

RichardC

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2008, 3:05pm

Like I always told my sister growing up "your horn is your most valuable weapon" Get yourself and airzound. When in doubt "Zound the ... out of them"  While I am not as aggressive on the horn as my friends in Florida who go through an entire charge every ride,  I am not shy about giving somebody a good honk.  I have airzounds on every bike / trike and I move my dinotte tail flasher to whichever bike I am on.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2008, 8:47pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 30th, 2008, 11:58am:
You're just getting the bad stuff out of the way first....

1)  Get a couple flags, for better visibility to drivers;

2)  Ride defensively -- anticipate the worst, hope for the best

3)  Post some pictures!!!!!   Smiley

I have a nice flag from Soundwinds in Seattle, but I'm considering a custom Catrike flag because they are slightly larger.
Definitely riding defensively. If I hadn't been, I would already be squashed like a june bug! Its the crazy things that are hard to anticipate...   Shocked
I'm afraid both my husband and I failed in our efforts to post pics. As soon as I figure that out, I'll post some.

IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2008, 8:55pm

Quote from Richard on Aug 30th, 2008, 12:25pm:
Patti,

For me it is a given that the driving public, in general, are not watching out for you. That being said, you can ride quite safely if you just get into that defensive state of mind. In addition, there are enough people hanging out the window waving "cool bike" and kids jumping up and down screaming with delight at your approach, that it more than balances out. Cheesy

RichardC

So true. I've actually been quite careful, just had some interesting (and amusing) close calls in spite of my best efforts. On a positive note, I don't think my neighbor will ever drive down the wrong side of the street again. Riding around the area has been a blast and most people we see will smile, wave, say "Hi" or something genuinely pleasant. I have a lot of kids ask me about the trikes: how much they cost, where can you get one, etc. It more than makes up for any stupid moments.

IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2008, 9:22pm

Quote from irodguy on Aug 30th, 2008, 3:05pm:
Like I always told my sister growing up "your horn is your most valuable weapon" Get yourself and airzound. When in doubt "Zound the ... out of them"  While I am not as aggressive on the horn as my friends in Florida who go through an entire charge every ride,  I am not shy about giving somebody a good honk.  I have airzounds on every bike / trike and I move my dinotte tail flasher to whichever bike I am on.

Airzound is on my "to be purchased" list. As a temporary, I have one of those little air horns that will fit in my pocket. We bought it for a trip to Yellowstone (bears don't care for that sound very much) but never needed to use it. I was just about to throw it away but now it has a new purpose in life.  

How do you like the Dinotte lights? I got a inexpensive flashing tail light today but want to upgrade to something more substantial eventually. Dinotte and Cateye seem to be the most popular brands for bike/trike lights.

IP Logged
Lrodshy57

rbent member

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2008, 8:08am

Patti,
Have you considered making a flag out of "sequience" fabric? It can be iridessence! Catches the Sun and just about any available light! Constantly changes color! It may also announce that you're a girl  Wink. I have seen all kinds of patterns on the 'net'. Btw, can get it at Wal-Mart.

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2008, 1:21pm

Quote from Lrodshy57 on Sep 7th, 2008, 8:08am:
Patti,
Have you considered making a flag out of "sequience" fabric? It can be iridessence! Catches the Sun and just about any available light! Constantly changes color! It may also announce that you're a girl  Wink. I have seen all kinds of patterns on the 'net'. Btw, can get it at Wal-Mart.

True, I could make a flag but I really like the one I'm using as a temporary until my Catrike custom flag comes in. Jerry is making it for me and it will have reflective fabric as part of the design. Jerry's flags are really nice but he is just a little backed up with orders right now. Catrike has sold a lot of trikes this summer!

IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2008, 4:36pm

The Dinotte is so much brighter than anything else, there is simply no comparsion.  I actually showed my Dinotte and my Planet Bike to PCF this weekend.  The Superblinky could be kinda seen during the day, but the Dinootte was impossible to look at for any length of time without getitng a headache.  

Dinotte is having a sale at the moment for $99 without batteries or charger.  Since they are just AA it's nbd since pretty much everybody has an AA charger and batteries hanging around.  

The only issue with the Dinotte is when riding with my wife it's painful if you are following eachother.  You either want to follow a ways  back or go side by side.  

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2008, 4:37pm by irodguy »  

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2008, 9:09am

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to check out the Dinotte site asap.

Patti

IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2008, 9:34am

Quote from irodguy on Sep 10th, 2008, 4:36pm:
The only issue with the Dinotte is when riding with my wife it's painful if you are following eachother.  You either want tofollow a ways  back or go side by side.  

+
I was following my wife home earlier this week when she was riding her hurricane. Even though her dinottes are mounted way low on her 20" wheels they really were throbbing my head since I was stuck right behind her.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2008, 6:34am

Mark, that's how I feel when you're pulling me around our Wednesday Flower Mound club ride.  You have both Dinotte rear lights turned on, and I'm sucking your wheel.  The the next several days, I see red dots.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2008, 9:37am

I actually got "pulled over" by a car last night.  He asked me what the heck kind of bike light that was.  What was even more funny was I actually got flashed by a car for having my 200L headlight up to far.  I was smiling all the way home.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2008, 11:12am

Quote from irodguy on Sep 12th, 2008, 9:37am:
I actually got "pulled over" by a car last night.  He asked me what the heck kind of bike light that was.  What was even more funny was I actually got flashed by a car for having my 200L headlight up to far.  I was smiling all the way home.  

Rodney I started a thread in the technical forum about lights.  I would like to hear about your findings.

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print