Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Red River Classic (Read 2056 times)
catroad254

rbent member

Red River Classic
Aug 17th, 2008, 11:47am

I did the 67 mile version of this ride yesterday. It was perfect weather for a ride but the threat of rain seemed to keep many people at home. There were probably only 200 people there. The route was good but had lots of hills - right at 3000 feet of climbing on the 67 mile route. Some chip seal but mostly worn down so you could find a smooth line. Only 3 recumbents; John S, Strada Steve and myself. Tons of food at the end including pizza. They had so much food they were encouraging people to take extras home with them. I would definitely do this ride again but it could be a challenge in more typical August weather. There is also a 100 mile option if you want exta tuning for HTH.

Corsa Ken

Email   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Re: Red River Classic
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2008, 12:04pm

I was thinking the same thing. It would be a much harder ride at 98 degrees. How many loose dogs did you count? I came up with 12.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2008, 12:17pm

well - might be worth a shot next year then!  Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2008, 1:32pm

I saw a few loose dogs but none were agressive - just runners.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Dogs
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2008, 6:11pm

One of the few advantages of being slower is that the dogs are all worn out when I get there. Most just stood there and watched  me ride by.
The same seems to go for flats too. By the time I get there all the nails and glass have been picked up.

Of course now that I have said this I will get two flats at HHH.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2008, 6:20pm

Quote from catroad254 on Aug 17th, 2008, 11:47am:
I did the 67 mile version of this ride yesterday. It was perfect weather for a ride but the threat of rain seemed to keep many people at home. There were probably only 200 people there. The route was good but had lots of hills - right at 3000 feet of climbing on the 67 mile route. Some chip seal but mostly worn down so you could find a smooth line. Only 3 recumbents; John S, Strada Steve and myself. Tons of food at the end including pizza. They had so much food they were encouraging people to take extras home with them. I would definitely do this ride again but it could be a challenge in more typical August weather. There is also a 100 mile option if you want exta tuning for HTH.

Corsa Ken

Sounds like a good ride, Ken. I never found a map of the routes online anywhere. Is there a map of the routes somewhere?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2008, 6:53pm

They had maps posted on the web page, but they were the wrong routes.  
They had to make some last minute changes and did not post the news maps.
John

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2008, 8:22pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 17th, 2008, 6:20pm:
Quote from catroad254 on Aug 17th, 2008, 11:47am:

Corsa Ken

Sounds like a good ride, Ken. I never found a map of the routes online anywhere. Is there a map of the routes somewhere?

The maps are here:

http://www.shermankiwanis.org/news.php?cat=1&type=newsdocs

as of 2nite anyways..

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2008, 10:16pm

Your right those do seem to be the right routes. Wonder when they put them on.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print