Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 19th, 2024, 1:21am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pictures of New V3 Ti (Read 2087 times)
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Pictures of New V3 Ti
Aug 4th, 2008, 9:00pm

Other than the fact that PCF did a horrible job building the bike, and I had to take it to my LBS to re-do most of it, the V3 Ti is an awesome bike in many aspects.  I snapped just a few picx tonight before Angie I ventured out.  The first thing I noticed while climbing a 5% hill fairly strong was the tremendous amount of frame flex on the top tube. I've never seen my Ti Aero flex, but the V3 Ti flexes ALOT.  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22734648@N07/sets/72157606549702207/

Enlarge the picx and see how great the paint job is.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Pictures of New V3 Ti
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2008, 9:48pm

Actually, I think that's not paint, it's sandblast with clearcoat...

I honestly didn't seem to notice much toptube flex when I rode it in Kansas...  Tell ya what, I'll take it off your hands for $25...   Cheesy

Sorry as well that PCF didn't build it right -- May I HIGHLY suggest that you email Rick and Kyle with your dissatisfaction???  I know Rick wants feedback...

Paul

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2008, 9:49pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2008, 10:24pm

Beautiful bike, Ray!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2008, 10:49pm

Quote from bikerteam on Aug 4th, 2008, 9:00pm:
Other than the fact that PCF did a horrible job building the bike, and I had to take it to my LBS to re-do most of it, the V3 Ti is an awesome bike in many aspects. I snapped just a few picx tonight before Angie I ventured out. The first thing I noticed while climbing a 5% hill fairly strong was the tremendous amount of frame flex on the top tube. I've never seen my Ti Aero flex, but the V3 Ti flexes ALOT.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22734648@N07/sets/72157606549702207/

Enlarge the picx and see how great the paint job is.

Ray, I know PCF was down 3 bike techs recently. Their best tech(Tim) ,left a few weeks ago. That's disappointing to say the least. Regardless that's a beautiful bike. I can't wait to see it in action. Great pictures.

Let me be the first to volunteer to ride the Ti-Aero(Zipps included),now that you're ready to kick that bike to the curb(in favor of the V-3).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2008, 11:06pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  Goodness knows I am a horrible mechanic, and at the mercy of the lbs more often than not.  But give the bike some time before you dismiss it (or sell it to Paul for a quarter!)  The tica's boom moves up and down like a rubber band when I'm climbing in the middle ring especially for some reason, but it doesn't seem to affect it overall.  The same may be the case with the v3 - you may see flex, but in the long run the comfort outweighs whatever negative effects it migth have.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2008, 11:17pm

I'm actually a fan of a some flex.  My favorite bike ever a Colnago Super from the early 80's was my fastest climbing bike ever, and had the magical Jan Heine "Planing" effect.  I broke the frame and put a hole through my arm at the '86 Athens Twighlight road race when some yahoo took me and about half the pack out, a very sad day.  I swear it felt like it gave more back than it took with each flex.  I could get into a rhythm on the climbs that made them feel effortless.  Oh well enough mourning.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2008, 6:16am

I appreciate everyone's comments. And I just noticed in my FLICKR picx that I accidently posted a picture taken with me and my very wacky admin. assistant a few days earlier.  

Paul - can you please provide Rick and Kyle's e-mail address?

Derk (sp?) was the tech. who worked on the bike.  Long story short, I had an appt. to meet him at 4:00 on Friday to pick up the bike and discuss the build.  He started off telling me that the components didn't match (XTR rear with bar end shifters, etc), the brake levers and front brake were for a TT bike not a recumbent, etc.  He also said that handle bar and riser flexed way too much and there was probably something wrong with it.  I tried to dismiss much of what he was saying.  Then I noticed the front brake cable was too long and interferred with the crank.  He told me to ride it for a while and bring it back if it was a problem. I asked him to shorten it before I left the shop as I lived 30 miles away.  He wanted to zip tie it.  Tried it, but it was still too long.  Then he placed a clear plastic strip on the crank to deflect the cable  Huh  Again I asked him to shorten or re-route the cable.  He walked off and said that someone else would have to help me, as he had other work to do.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2008, 8:29am

Ray:  Nice bike.  I'm considering one of those, so let me know what you think after getting all the bugs out and riding it a while.  I'm just looking for something with a little lower BB, a little diversion from the Corsa.
Sorry to hear about your negative experience with PCF as they seem to be the only shop around with anything approaching a committment to Bents.
Robert

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2008, 8:51am

Wow treating someone paying for service that way doesn't sound good.  Ray like Brad I'd be happy to take care of any issues that might need attention, and ofcourse handle the several hundred miles of test riding to work everything out you know.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2008, 9:17am

Ray give me a call and I'll let you know the passcode to my workshop out back  Cool
I'll even let you know when I'm done riding it.. er I mean I'm doing fixing whatever the problem is Wink  
If you see it in the garage downstairs one day it must be all that extra work Verizon has you doing giving you visions. Of course i can't even fix my heatset but remember past performance isn't a guarantee of future results.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2008, 10:01am

Quote from bikerteam on Aug 5th, 2008, 6:16am:

Paul - can you please provide Rick and Kyle's e-mail address?

It's   rick@planocycling.com   and   kylec@planocycling.com

Paul

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2008, 10:04am

Quote from bikerteam on Aug 5th, 2008, 6:16am:
And I just noticed in my FLICKR picx that I accidently posted a picture taken with me and my very wacky admin. assistant a few days earlier.  

I thought she was just there for the "Nyaaah, nyaaah, nyaaah..." sound effect for the rest of us...   Grin

Richard

rbent member

Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2008, 12:29pm

Ray,

I wonder what gives that the techs are bailing? Very coool pics. What did you bribe your wife with to get the V3Ti? Grin

RichardC

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2008, 12:44pm

Quote from Richard on Aug 5th, 2008, 12:29pm:
I wonder what gives that the techs are bailing?

In Tim's case, it was partially gas prices -- he lives in the Denton area...

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print