Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:24pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ragbrai 2008 (Read 1082 times)
artcat

rbent member

Ragbrai 2008
Jul 28th, 2008, 9:59am

I just got back from Ragbrai.  What fun and to all who thought otherwise, Iowa is definitely hilly!  My hill climbing has really improved. Of the 471 miles about only 5 miles was flat.
I was very happy with my Hi Racer.  It really took the hills well.  When I started I was afraid that I would have to walk some of the climbs but am happy to say I did not walk a single one.  By the end of the ride I was even taking most of them in the big gear except for cresting the top.  They were usually very long climbs steeper though than the rolling hills we have here in Texas.  It also helped that the temps were 65 in the morning rising to 85 in the afternoon.  One day it rained and only reached about 67.  
For those who have not heard about this ride, it is quite an experience.  20,000 people on bikes.  All kinds of bikes and all manner of people from racer types to I can't believe that person can even get on a bike.  Some people dress up or don't wear much of anything.
Some decorate their bikes.  Some are babies in trailers and some are 80+ years old.  Many party hard and all are there for a good time.  Each small town you ride through rolls out the red carpet and makes you feel like an honored guest.  
the food is wonderful and plentiful.  I gained 2lbs and rode 471 miles and averaged 15mph in 7 days.  I was on Team Spam.  Two women and eight  40 to 50 year old men who thought they were in "Animal House" on wheels.  I am a wimp at partying though only averaging 2 beers a day.  It was a fun group.  For photos of the ride go here http://www.flickr.com/photos/9542468@N03/sets/72157606403650928/

Green Musashi
Bachetta Corsa SS
Black Catrike 700
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Ragbrai 2008
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2008, 2:05pm

those are really fun photos, and Ragbrai is an incredible experience.  The food is awesome as well.  Farm Boys breakfast burritos, pastafaria, and the homemade pies.  Man oh man!

When I went, it was the 3rd hilliest ragbrai ever, and we had temps get near 100, plus the humidity.  people dropped like flies...but I'd love to do it all again!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2008, 4:34pm

Apparently several from BROL went to RAGBRAI as well.   Look at  
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fayncbikerjaa/sets/72157606417469188/

On page 2 is a cool pic of a No-Com and several trikes.  Looks like it was a good year---were there any Lance sightings??  After 15 years I stopped going when he started---too many people on the road at one time and too many wrecks.

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2008, 4:41pm

I rode the first year that he did - and passed him Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

More RAGBRAI photos