Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
White Rock Lake (Read 1790 times)
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

White Rock Lake
Jul 14th, 2008, 8:46pm

I just got back from riding around the wrl and saw two recumbent out there. I didn't get to talk to any of them. One was riding a low racer Black  like the Baron recumbent Bike and the other one is a Long Wheel Base  Bike and i think it was blue and th rider was an older gentleman just cruizing along.  now the low racer  was going a least about 18 to 20 mph. It was a good ride and getting better.
 I'm hopeing to get my indurance up to be able to ride with you guys  and able to climb hills( that where my problems is at)
 Later Thomas

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: White Rock Lake
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2008, 8:53pm

Quote from power_bent on Jul 14th, 2008, 8:46pm:
I just got back from riding around the wrl and saw two recumbent out there. I didn't get to talk to any of them. One was riding a low racer Black  like the Baron recumbent Bike and the other one is a Long Wheel Base  Bike and i think it was blue and th rider was an older gentleman just cruizing along.  now the low racer  was going a least about 18 to 20 mph. It was a good ride and getting better.
I'm hopeing to get my indurance up to be able to ride with you guys  and able to climb hills( that where my problems is at)
Later Thomas

I know the guy on the black bike which I believe is an Actionbent, at the moment I can't recall his name tho and I've seen the older guy on the long wheelbased bike in fact today

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2008, 10:07pm

I'm not the speediest, the fastest, nor do I have the most endurance.  But as I've developed speed, power, climbing ability and such over the years I've learned one thing:  if you want to be fast, ride fast.  If you want to master hills, ride up hills.

Most people are unwilling or unable to grasp this simple fact - especially recumbent riders.  Which is why I get people asking me "hey, how are those things on the hills?"  while I'm PASSING THEM UPHILL.    

Sure, you can't be as fast today as you want, but you can get closer with every ride.  I'm very pleased to see you express your desire to do so!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2008, 8:03am

Hey Alkigreg, you know why i say these thing? Recumbent is a different bike  and i want to be differen.That why i'm trying to get going and also trying to get with other recumbnet. My 44t with 14t back is getting where it surely not enough on flat and down hill
 I've been talking to a freind of mine that he said by switching over to 700c wheel in back and addind a high pressure front tire  and change the front chainring will make a big diff. Somthing like knocking off ten minutes on the lake????
 What do you think???

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2008, 11:06am

Quote from power_bent on Jul 15th, 2008, 8:03am:

I've been talking to a freind of mine that he said by switching over to 700c wheel in back and addind a high pressure front tire  and change the front chainring will make a big diff. Somthing like knocking off ten minutes on the lake????
What do you think???

Waaaaal, now, that ten minutes has got to be taken in relationship to how long it takes you overall now...   Wink

Old time     New Time        Improved
     90                80                  11%
     75                65                  13.3%
     60                50                  16.6%
     50                40                  20%
     40                30                  25%
     30                20                  33%

However, he's basically correct -- a larger rear wheel and larger big ring give you more potential gear-inches, resulting in more potential speed (engine-dependent).  A high-pressure front tire is debateable, although on non-chipseal roads, it probably helps as well.

What can REALLY take ten minutes off your lake lap time is to avoid riding WRL on Saturday mornings when all the runners are out there!   Grin

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2008, 11:49am

You know that i have been to WRL on sat but didn't have my bike then, and your correct about runners. Somebody open the flood gate of RUNNERS. Shocked

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2008, 12:57pm

However most runners like to start running at dawn or so to avoid the heat.
But then by 10:00 a.m. the walkers come out.

Thomas, if you use the big chain ring around White Rock you need bigger chain rings.
JohnS
We met once, I gave you my card.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2008, 1:00pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Jul 15th, 2008, 12:57pm:
However most runners like to start running at dawn or so to avoid the heat.
But then by 10:00 a.m. the walkers come out.

Thomas, if you use the big chain ring around White Rock you need bigger chain rings.
JohnS
We met once, I gave you my card.

I often use the big chain ring on a course that's flat as a pancake like that.  Then again, I am buying a 60t chain ring, so I guess I do need a bigger one!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2008, 5:19pm

Thanks for the reply John S. Aikigreg,  Yeah with 44t and 14t I'm pedaling to fast when i get to about 22.5 mph hey Aikigreg , that 60t chainring sound realy big, what you second gonna be??

Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2008, 9:17pm

Quote from power_bent on Jul 15th, 2008, 5:19pm:
 Yeah with 44t and 14t I'm pedaling too fast when i get to about 22.5 mph....

For comparison purposes only -- with a 52T front / 11T back and 559 wheel, on the downhill of Goatneck Hill during the TTTT, I "spun out" at about 43 mph... (YMMV)

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Jul 16th, 2008, 9:43pm

Ran into Mark L. tonight at WRL... I had the full fairing on, for funsies...  I was doing a warmup lap in the CCW direction, to see who all was there (since >80% of riders go CW), and saw him halfway 'round, doing The Demo on some poor souls...   Cheesy

SO, when I encountered him again, I turned around to ride along -- he said, "Wanna do a fast lap or so, I'm at a 19.7 average through four laps..."  "Soitainly!!!  What speed ya want?"  

Let's just say that nobody either passed or even kept up with us...  and his average had climbed to 20 by the time we finished...   Wink   Good on ya, brutha!

Then as I was putting the bike up later, I saw an elderly-looking guy on what looked like a GRR (or Ti-Rush?) go by the bathhouse, with full Zzipper fairing -- at about 6-8 mph...  I called out and waved him over, but he ignored me...   undecided

« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2008, 9:51pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Brad Bedell

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2008, 10:14pm

Lindsay and I will be out tomorrow(Thursday) evening. I'll be on the Bacchetta.

I'm not sure what speed I'll hold as I'll be doing a ride in the morning also.  Probably 17-18ish, we both want to just stay in an aerobic zone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print