Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nice day for a century (Read 832 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Nice day for a century
Jul 13th, 2008, 6:11pm

Not wanting to do a paltry 60 miles -  Shocked  I joined FWBA on the west northwst Ho ride.  It was originally scheduled to be a 30, 60, and 90 mile ride, but the ride leader had lengthened the 90 miler to a full century.  Almost no one wanted to do it but George Chapman thankfully got there late and was game, so he and I were the only ones.  We rode with the 60 mile group to the split at roughly 30 miles.  Many regroups and stops and the 30 miles took us almost 3 hours.  

But when George and I took off alone, hoo-boy did that change.  Our pace for the rest of the ride was 21mph.  It was a good course except for a couple more heavily trafficked roads, but you didn't stay on them long.  Bud, the road that you and I hated on that club ride last year we only rode for maybe 500 yards.

Very good hills - I kept thinking my quads were going to give out on me - I didn't feel strong, especially after blowing them up at the TT yesterday, but that lil' bike I was riding just kept a-climbing.  MAN does it ever climb.

Anyway, 5.5 hours total bike time, 100 miles, very good day.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Nice day for a century
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2008, 12:17pm

Oh I left out the best part.  The ride leader, who himself only did the 30 mile, not only had gone to the trouble to paint all the turnes VERY clearly on the 100 mile route, but waited for the two of us at mile  85 with water and snacks - setting himself up as a rest station.  WOW!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2008, 12:45pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jul 13th, 2008, 6:11pm:
.... but that lil' bike I was riding just kept a-climbing.  MAN does it ever climb...

Which bike would that be?

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2008, 3:03pm

ummm.....YOU know Wink

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2008, 12:47am

wow this thing had more climbing than I tought - looking back over the data there was 7722 feet of climbing.  Pretty dang good for 'round here.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print