Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:16pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Last Horse Country Time Trial of the year! (Read 1629 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Last Horse Country Time Trial of the year!
Jul 12th, 2008, 12:28pm

I love it when a plan comes together.  I was rested and fairly relaxed until I looked at my bike and realized my tire was flar.  Pumped it up and it leaked as fast and I could put air in it.  Took me forever to get it changed, but I made it to the registration desk just in the nick of time.  

Had a nice warm up which allowed me to get used to the quartering headwind which at times was a stiff crosswind.  Everything seemed to be in order.  The line-up was Robert, Mark, and Myself.  Last time Mark held me off to take the win, but I've done some healing and training since then.

Hopefully Robert will post the results, but I had a good run.  The new asphalt made for a nice smooth ride for me to be able to forget about the surface and just pedal.  I caught Mark 1.8 miles in and Robert 2.5 miles in, and then proceeded to reel in the ladies in front of me, in spite of the fact that Robert started a full 2 minutes after the last lady rider.  I ended up passing 6 or 7 of the females and was 10 feet behind the lead rider I believe when I crossed the finish line.

I kept saving myself for those last two big hills and then looked up from my headrest and suddenly realized I was already ON the last hill and the finish line was close.  I could have been hammering a lot longer but I started spinning the big ring and going up the gears and crossed the line at just over 18mph - I normally cross at 14-15.  

So I think my time may still be slower than it was last year overall, but I'm going to call this one Veni Vidi Vici.

Robert for sure had a good run - he held off Mark in spite of nearly t-boning a truck who just decided to pull out and the darn bikes can just stop.  Looking forward to seeing the times for a change!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Last Horse Country Time Trial of the year!
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2008, 12:51pm

Oh and the even bigger success was me getting through a pay event - especially on the tica - without a wreck!   Cool

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2008, 5:15pm

Unofficially (since I just typed the results into a text message on my phone.
1st place  32.03
2nd Place 38.01
3rd Place 39.11

I guess my beginners luck ran out. I coasted in a few section. Didn't feel hurt or sick or anything I just couldn't go any faster then I was going. I had Robert within sight at the turnaround and really thought I could hold on but he just took off.  
Perhaps that pickup that cut him off got the adrenalin running and then poof no one was in front of me anymore.
Max speed for me today.. 30.1

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2008, 5:41pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2008, 10:06pm

Thanks for coming out guys!

http://www.ic3-ntx.org/July_Results_For_Web.pdf

WWW DallasBikr   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2008, 10:19pm

Strange how the same course can give you three completely different rides.  The wind this time was somewhat in your face headed out, but that meant a slight tailwind coming back.  I think the big difference in my improved time was the tailwind let me get up around 23 mph on the flatter stretches on the return trip, and of course the faster you can start a climb the "shorter" the hill, therefore the hills were not the big time killers they were before.  I think I was less than 2 minutes slower on the return than the outbound leg.  I never saw anything on the computer over 27 outbound, so my 30.2 max might have happened on the return too.  Don't think I ever got in the biggest gear.  Also the brand new smooth asphalt probably helped a lot.  My 19.4 average hasn't happened since 1989, but of course back in those days it was 50+ miles!
Not too far after the turnaround I had just passed one of the girls that had started in front of us when a gravel truck pulled out into the road right in front of me. Angry  I was doing about 23 at the time and slowed to 6 to avoid the truck.  I thought we had eye contact, I guess he didn't realize how fast I was coming on or just didn't like cyclist.  That probably cost me 10 seconds or so and I could only get back up to 19 before I caught the next uphill.  After the finish that girl said I was hauling before that truck did its thing.  If I'd had my rear view mirror to see what was happening behind me I could have passed him on the left.  Not sure how that would have stood up to the rules about staying on the shoulder!
Mark, thanks for hanging around and getting the times.  I waited around a while as long as I could but had to get home to entertain visiting family.
And Greg, that's a great time.  Congrats on 1st place finish!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2008, 12:01am

It wasnt bad - I coulda done better I think, but I'm really gunning for that 30 minute mark.  Still, had we been in the cat 4,5 race, I would have been 19th out of 36.  Not bad for someone who doesn't get to enter many races and TT style events.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2008, 8:41am

Nobody would have busted you for avoiding an idiot if you didn't cut off a car coming up from behind Smiley  The 30 second rule is for those that were taking the lane and staying there forcing cars to slow down and wait.  We never enforced it, but it was there if we needed to.

We're very likely going to have a "club race" on the same course sometime next month or in September.  No cops, officials, etc.  The whole thing will be based on clearing your computer and stopping it at the end and then comparing times with each other.  No entry fee either Smiley

All of you guys and gals will be invited.

WWW DallasBikr   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2008, 3:38pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jul 13th, 2008, 12:01am:
It wasnt bad - I coulda done better I think, but I'm really gunning for that 30 minute mark.  Still, had we been in the cat 4,5 race, I would have been 19th out of 36.  Not bad for someone who doesn't get to enter many races and TT style events.  

For me 3rd out of 3 sounds better to me then 34th out of 36, I'll just leave out the 7 minutes bit Smiley

I was a few seconds better which overall meant I probably did a little bit worse considering the nice new course. I guess I have 8 months to work on getting my speed a bit up and getting used to the qrings I put on. I think the stelvios will be good once I drop some more weight but I may go back to a wider tires once they wear through.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2008, 4:44pm

Oh, and the line of the day:

Racer X:  "Hey, a recumbent that low with a disc wheel - that's almost cheating!"

Aikigreg:  "ALMOST!  darn - I'm not trying hard enough!"

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2008, 11:17pm

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2008, 2:12pm

That link wasn't working for me, I think it is sessioned to you. Piecing together last months and your event id I did get through with
http://www.simplephoto.com/SC/index.cfm?fuseaction=EventLoad&eid=6023190& ;fn=DanApgarPhotography

I think Robert has the best pic series over on page 9 as you see him slowly pulling away up the hill from the DF rider.

Edit: I thought I was seated pretty far up but wow I look like I'm sitting way up and I had the seat reclined all the way, past the drillouts because I use the velo clamps. I wonder if Plano set me up with the wrong seat stays (longer recurve ones?) or some such.

« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2008, 2:22pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print