Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:21pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GDB DFW Airport Ride (Read 631 times)
Bud_Bent

GDB DFW Airport Ride
Jun 28th, 2008, 4:24pm

I hadn't done this GDB weekly ride since last year, and the route is quite a bit different. It's still a fun ride with not a lot of climbing and no killer hills, so it seemed like the right ride for me today, since I'm just a little over a week after thyroid surgery.  

Paul, I, and the rest rolled out right at 8:00 am and started the mostly downhill ride out to DFW Airport. As usual, we missed some traffic lights, and regrouped a few times, but we rode a fairly brisk pace.  

After stopping at the Shell station where the airport loop starts, we were joined by Robert and Brian. It was great to see you again, Robert, and nice meeting you, Brian. I aired it out a bit on the loop, but the first part of the loop was uphill and almost directly into the wind, and was definitely tough. The other part that was really tough was just after the turnaround at the water control tower. This was also uphill, and even more directly against the wind.  

The trip back after the loop is always tough, since it's 18 miles of mostly gradual elevation gain which seems to suit the uprights in the group better than me, and I'm usually blown up from a faster pace around the loop, but I felt pretty strong today, and Paul set a pretty reasonable pace for the small group we ended up with here, so I was able to hold up my end of the conversation for the most part, although my incision is so close to my vocal chords, I was getting a bit hoarse at the end. Paul and I joined Terrie and a bunch of the other riders for lunch afterwards, and the barbeque and ice tea went down very well.

The GDB folks are always friendly, and this is always a fun ride. I need to do it more often, and we need more 'bents on it!  

I notice some strange data on my gps software map, so I think the ride data needs some correcting. I'll post it later.

Edit: I didn't have any luck with Motionbased correcting the ride data like it usually does, but doing it on my own, it looks like I ended up with 56.0 miles and a 16.4 mph average. This is the first time I've seen that kind of error from the Edge 305.

« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2008, 5:42pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: GDB DFW Airport Ride
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2008, 5:56pm

Good to have you alongside, Bud, and good to see Robert and meet Brian!!!  I had forgotten that Robert was planning to come out and meet us at the Shell.

I hadn't done this ride myself for about three months.  The route out to the Shell is the same as it's been for several months (detour up to BeltLine due to construction on Northaven), and the group of ~30+ riders regrouped a few times along the way.

The Airport loop itself has changed, due to Esters Rd being torn up -- now, instead of circling it clockwise, the groups go CCW, and either do the tower loop and reverse (essentially in a big "C" route), and the shorter distance group rides to Walnut Hill and shortcuts back.  With the south winds today, it made for a challenging first half southbound, and an even tougher return from the tower.  I wasn't sure how the return was supposed to go, so Bud went off ahead of me before we hit the tower loop, while I rode a bit slower with Robert.  Brian went with the "shortcut" group, so we didn't really see him during the ride.

Robert and I hung together on the southbound leg after the tower, then I took off to attempt to catch Bud -- not really thinking I could, but what the hey...   I passed about a dozen riders or so, holding a good 22-25 with the (now) tailwind, but never saw the Bud Man until I got back to the Shell station.

The shortcut group was ready to head back already, so us "slackers" hung out for a bit longer at the break.  Bud and I tried to convice Robert and Brian to do another loop, but I guess they had had enough for today  Wink  .   Brian commented, "I'm 26 yrs old, and you guys are kicking my butt!!!"   Grin
(Only temporary, friend...)

So, we bagged the extra loop, and headed back with a group of 10 or so, that slowly became smaller through attrition until there were only four, and we got back to the parking lot right about 12.   As Bud said, Terrie drove out to meet us, and we had a good lunch at the BBQ place, with cold A/C and cold beer!!!   I've got a few pics, I'll get 'em posted later tonight.

I had 64+ miles due to some extra credit before the ride, at a ~16 average, although most of our flat cruising was at 18-20 with tailwind, and 12-14 with headwind.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2008, 6:06pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 28th, 2008, 5:56pm:
Good to have you alongside, Bud, and good to see Robert and meet Brian!!! I had forgotten that Robert was planning to come out and meet us at the Shell.

I hadn't done this ride myself for about three months. The route out to the Shell is the same as it's been for several months (detour up to BeltLine due to construction on Northaven), and the group of ~30+ riders regrouped a few times along the way.

The Airport loop itself has changed, due to Esters Rd being torn up -- now, instead of circling it clockwise, the groups go CCW, and either do the tower loop and reverse (essentially in a big "C" route), and the shorter distance group rides to Walnut Hill and shortcuts back. With the south winds today, it made for a challenging first half southbound, and an even tougher return from the tower. I wasn't sure how the return was supposed to go, so Bud went off ahead of me before we hit the tower loop, while I rode a bit slower with Robert. Brian went with the "shortcut" group, so we didn't really see him during the ride.

Robert and I hung together on the southbound leg after the tower, then I took off to attempt to catch Bud -- not really thinking I could, but what the hey... I passed about a dozen riders or so, holding a good 22-25 with the (now) tailwind, but never saw the Bud Man until I got back to the Shell station.

The shortcut group was ready to head back already, so us "slackers" hung out for a bit longer at the break. Bud and I tried to convice Robert and Brian to do another loop, but I guess they had had enough for today Wink . Brian commented, "I'm 26 yrs old, and you guys are kicking my butt!!!" Grin
(Only temporary, friend...)

So, we bagged the extra loop, and headed back with a group of 10 or so, that slowly became smaller through attrition until there were only four, and we got back to the parking lot right about 12. As Bud said, Terrie drove out to meet us, and we had a good lunch at the BBQ place, with cold A/C and cold beer!!! I've got a few pics, I'll get 'em posted later tonight.

I had 64+ miles due to some extra credit before the ride, at a ~16 average, although most of our flat cruising was at 18-20 with tailwind, and 12-14 with headwind.

Glad to hear all went well with no mechanicals/wrecks,etc... Extra Credit? Was this an assigned homework project?? Wait...you had beer without me? I'm crushed!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2008, 11:42pm

My intention was to do my best to hang with Bud and Paul on the first loop and then take another loop at a more moderate pace.  Kept up pretty well till after the turnaround at the control tower, but that stretch back into the wind pretty much finished me off.  I recovered a little after that and caught up to Paul and a couple of uprights.  Paul picked up the speed after that and took off on his own, and one of the uprights and I did the best we could, mostly keeping up a 20 mph pace.  Also got to answer a lot of his questions about recumbents, starting with "what's the difference between recumbents and uprights?"  Ended up with 23.5 miles at a 17.3 avg, which is WAY fast for me, nearly as fast as the 12 mile TT race.  Brian and I both were pretty exhausted after that so opted to go home.  Also I'd started cramping at the last overpass before getting back to the Shell station.  That's not as many miles as I normally do on Saturdays, but was substantially faster.  I need to do more speed work!
Good to see Paul and Bud, who in my opinion has made a heckuva recovery from his health issues!  Way to go Bud!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print