Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Waxahachie Cow Creek Classic (Read 817 times)
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Waxahachie Cow Creek Classic
Jun 28th, 2008, 3:00pm

Not a bad ride although a little too much chipseal, I originally was going to do the 75 mile ride however Greg was doing the 100 mile so change of plans. It dragged a little on the west ride but the north run from Italy back to Waxahachie was fast.

At about the 55 mile mark Greg noticed a problem with his front tire which started separating and developed a bulge so the 100 mile turned back into a 75 mile ride. The tire let go after a couple more miles dumping Greg who then had to wait for a SAG wagon.

78.12 miles
4 hours 20 minutes
132 bpm average
18.0 average speed

Images will be posted at www.lifeonabaron.blogspot.com

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Waxahachie Cow Creek Classic
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2008, 3:37pm

Maybe I just should stay away from pay rides.  I've only done two this year - the other one being the Ride That Killed The Carbon Aero.   Grin

We were planning this ride very well.  We tried not to kill ourselves on the front half, which was all into the wind.   We tried not to let anyone pass us, but at the same time weren't trying to just rip the road to shreds either.  Which was a good thing because there were some long grade false flats and some pretty bad chipseal that seemed to be about 30 or more of the first 55 miles.  We had just turned with the wind behind us and I was cranking along, ready to ramp it up enough to finish the century with around a 20mph average, or as close as I could get when, hitting a rare smooth patch, I felt what I thought was a flat.  

I pulled over and noticed that my tire had suddenly formed an S shape - like part of the tread inside had broken.  We were right on the split that decided 75 or 100 miles, so we opted for the 75.  We just rolled along - I figured I could get someone to look at the tire when BANG!  It exploded.

Had it just been a tube puncture, it wouldn't have been a problem, but the sudden explosion caused me to dump the bike pretty hard at around 17-19mph.  There's a gigantic hole in what is an otherwise perfect tire - the tread itself has no real wear and has 800 miles on the bike.  No reason for this kind of failure at all.  So I have a pretty achy bump on my elbow and skin scrapes down both buttcheecks again.  Instead of my crash shorts, I was wearing my BRAND NEW unattached skinsuit which is now useless.  

after waiting about 20 minutes I got picked up by one sag and taken to a rest stop where someone else took me all the way in, in time to catch up with Mark.  Pica of my tire and bottom will show up on his website soon I suppose.   Wink

The bike's fine though - only hit a bit of the seat and the quick release, so essentially zero damage.  

I ended with 57 miles 18.2 average.

« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2008, 3:37pm by aikigreg »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2008, 3:46pm

Dang, sorry to hear about the tire, Greg. What kind of tire was it? You seem to be having no luck with pay rides this year.

Mark, how much climbing did this ride have? Only a week after my thyroid surgery, I opted for the easier GDB DFW Airport ride today.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2008, 4:40pm

There was no real climbing to speak of - just some small stuff, but there was one section of a long false flat into the wind that slowed us down to 12 or so for a few miles.  

The tire was an irc roadlite.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2008, 5:30pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 28th, 2008, 3:37pm:
Maybe I just should stay away from pay rides.  I've only done two this year - the other one being the Ride That Killed The Carbon Aero.   Grin

You forgot the Muenster ride, nothing happened there so there is no curse!  Smiley

IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2008, 6:03pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 28th, 2008, 3:37pm:
Maybe I just should stay away from pay rides. I've only done two this year - the other one being the Ride That Killed The Carbon Aero. Grin

We were planning this ride very well. We tried not to kill ourselves on the front half, which was all into the wind. We tried not to let anyone pass us, but at the same time weren't trying to just rip the road to shreds either. Which was a good thing because there were some long grade false flats and some pretty bad chipseal that seemed to be about 30 or more of the first 55 miles. We had just turned with the wind behind us and I was cranking along, ready to ramp it up enough to finish the century with around a 20mph average, or as close as I could get when, hitting a rare smooth patch, I felt what I thought was a flat.

I pulled over and noticed that my tire had suddenly formed an S shape - like part of the tread inside had broken. We were right on the split that decided 75 or 100 miles, so we opted for the 75. We just rolled along - I figured I could get someone to look at the tire when BANG! It exploded.

Had it just been a tube puncture, it wouldn't have been a problem, but the sudden explosion caused me to dump the bike pretty hard at around 17-19mph. There's a gigantic hole in what is an otherwise perfect tire - the tread itself has no real wear and has 800 miles on the bike. No reason for this kind of failure at all. So I have a pretty achy bump on my elbow and skin scrapes down both buttcheecks again. Instead of my crash shorts, I was wearing my BRAND NEW unattached skinsuit which is now useless.

after waiting about 20 minutes I got picked up by one sag and taken to a rest stop where someone else took me all the way in, in time to catch up with Mark. Pica of my tire and bottom will show up on his website soon I suppose. Wink

The bike's fine though - only hit a bit of the seat and the quick release, so essentially zero damage.

I ended with 57 miles 18.2 average.

The Stradas' send condolences on the achy rump/elbows! That pretty much SUCKS!!! Sorry to hear about the misfortune. Now that you have achy posterior ,do you still feeling like SITTING for 9 hours tomorrow??    

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2008, 9:58pm

I'll manage somehow.  I expect the level of company to be sufficient ot keep my mind off it!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print