Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 27th, 2024, 5:58pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AVID BB5 vs. BB7 (Read 2585 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

AVID BB5 vs. BB7
Jun 16th, 2008, 10:24am

Could someone explain the differences between these two brake sets? Is there an actual performance difference or is it simply a matter of the BB5 being more difficult to adjust that makes it less popular with many riders? One of the trikes I am considering buying has BB5's and I'm curious about whether I should consider upgrading or not.

IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: AVID BB5 vs. BB7
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2008, 10:59am

I think EVBlazer can comment definitively but I think you would prefer the BB7 for the better adjustability.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2008, 11:27am

In fact I had written a whole big speal but deleted it.

BB5s are OEM $$ cut versions.
-The OEM pads wear fast, they are small, they are hard to change, they like to sqeek, they overheat quick because they are small.
-The lack of pad adjustment on the outside makes it difficult to keep up with the pad wear. To adjust you need to unbolt the caliper and realign the whole mechanism. This makes field adjustment very cumbersome or not possible.
-You can potential use the barrel adjuster to attempt and adjust the outer pad but this is just a very temporary solution since there isn't alot of extra pull before the levers hit the bar or the calipers run out of pivot.

If I had to guess I'd say I put about 1400 miles on my bb5s. They were good for the first 700 but then quickly became a big pain. I try and ride in all weather, stop hard on steep decents and have alot of weight to stop so I am pretty hard on tires/wheels/brakes.  

I think it is all a conspiracy between avid and LBS to make money on upgrading bb5s to bb7s.  undecided

$51 bb5s compared to $60 bb7s at jenson usa.  For $18 (front and rear) it is more then worth it. For $120 I'm still happy about it but I wish I could have gotten the bike withough BB5s at all like I wanted.

« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2008, 11:32am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2008, 11:30am

Most people recommend the bb7s that I've talked to.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2008, 2:51pm

Excellent information.  I was confused after a conversation I had in the LBS recently. The guy there told me that he wouldn't recommend upgrading because there was no significant difference. That didn't seem to agree with the comments about the bb5's that I was reading from folks who actually own them. Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2008, 4:34pm

Quote from Patti on Jun 16th, 2008, 2:51pm:
Excellent information.  I was confused after a conversation I had in the LBS recently. The guy there told me that he wouldn't recommend upgrading because there was no significant difference. That didn't seem to agree with the comments about the bb5's that I was reading from folks who actually own them. Thanks for the help.

Technically there isn't when they are perfectly adjusted and new or at least for the miles most people put on a bike. So I think he is as right as a salesperson can be Smiley

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2008, 8:40pm

I think it depends on the bike. I have BB 5's on the Catrike and they have been flawless for more than 2000 miles. I put bb 5's on the Cafe and they were a total pita from the beginning.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print