Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:20pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Magical Mystery Tour (Read 859 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Magical Mystery Tour
Jun 15th, 2008, 9:31pm

This is the perfect 200k for a beginning randonneur - just a great route design.  Into the wind for the first half and with the wind all the way back, and flat as a pancake with some good scenery the whole way.  Also pretty good roads except for maybe a 10 mile stretch.  It also had a good amount of shade most of the way.

So Steve and I met Jay for his last perm in Texas before he moves to Utah and we headed out, practically past Bud's door.  Through Rendon and Alvarado and then Maypearl for the 2nd control.  Up to this control I felt kinda cruddy - like my stomach was upset, but I was still riding a decent pace.  My plan this time, unlike probably every single 200k I've done before, was to ride slower for the first half so that I wouldn't burn out my second half.  

After an air conditioning break, we made our way to Italy.  The last 10 miles of this were some rougher chipseal and what must have been a false flat since I couldn't seem to make any speed at all.  Also my knee was hurting pretty badly - like it wanted to pop but wouldn't.  Took a long break at the Stuckey's there and had a nice chicken sandwich, a monster, and some aleve that Steve had.  Then set off for what we thought would be just a few more miles into the brisk breeze.   Angry

On the way into Avalon we were already only moving at maybe 16mph with the wind in our face and watching the storm, or what looked like one with the dark clouds, moving by.  Then we hit what was obviously a storm front because it was like hitting a wall and the temp dropped 10 degrees.  I didn't mind it so much since it was nice and cool, but the wind was howling and gusting.  Weather showed gusts up to 60 mph and the wind speed while we were riding through rose to near 40mph.   Shocked

The poor uprights were complaining their heads off when we finally turned off  Cheesy.  We took a short break at an info control and then with the wind at our backs Steve and I took off at 19-20, which was a pace we easily could have held, but poor Jay was FRIED.  After realizing he was 3/4 of a mile behind us and losing ground, we slowed up and tried to keep his spirits up.  I know ALL of us can relate to that feeling.  

He perked up a bit as we were riding around Lake Waxahachie.  That little section is GORGEOUS and so is the lake.  I want to organize a little ride for rbent in Mid July perhaps that will hav eit's finish point at the lake for us to go swimming and have some lunch in Waxahachie.  While we were there, there was a scooter rally going on - 50 or so scooters were BBQing and buzzing around all over the place.  looked like fun.

We had another control right outside of downtown and I had my celebratory Dublin Dr. pepper and an oatmeal cream cookie, and Jay perked up a bit.  He wasn't speedy gonzalez, but he was steady the whole rest of the way back to Joe Pool.  We took one quick shade break for me before the long descent down Lake Ridge.  Steve and I still had a lot of gas in the tank, so we raced at 29mpg the from the "lighthouse" back to the marina entrance, where Steve beat me by a bike length.  I need a bigger chainring, dangit!!!

So we got our cards signed and celebrated Steve's first randonnee in style, with a nice lunch.  At Oasis, Steve had the mushroom burger and I had the best fish tacos I'd ever had.  I'm VERY happy with the outcome of this ride.  I hydrated much more than usual, never once felt the lungs closing up and never had a mental wall to push through.  Could have easily continued onto a 300k.  

My computer, which is a little short, showed 125.5 miles at 15.5 average.  Actual mileage somewhere around 127.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
barlows

Wanna-be

Re: Magical Mystery Tour
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2008, 7:35am

Good times man.  I really enjoyed it.  I agree that was a good route for my first 200K.  Mostly flat, tailwind on the way back, kudos to Jerry for good planning.

Greg, thanks for the invite.  I'm officially hooked on Randonneuring now.  I enjoy charity rides, but there's something about smaller groups riding at a conversational pace that's really appealing too.

Oh, and the rest of you guys have to give Greg a hard time about letting a DF outsprint him...  Wink

Steve

Email stevejbarlow   IP Logged
barlows

Wanna-be

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2008, 8:43am

Almost forgot, here's a pic from Italy, just after the control.  Looks like it's for sale if you wanna live in a spaceship....

Steve

Email stevejbarlow   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2008, 8:51am

Quote from barlows on Jun 16th, 2008, 7:35am:

Oh, and the rest of you guys have to give Greg a hard time about letting a DF outsprint him... Wink

Steve

Congrats on the 200k, Steve. As for the sprinting, bent or upright, it's still about the engine. I haven't outsprinted too many folks myself, lately....

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2008, 10:55am

Quote from barlows on Jun 16th, 2008, 8:43am:
Almost forgot, here's a pic from Italy, just after the control.  Looks like it's for sale if you wanna live in a spaceship....
Steve

That is the starship pegasus resturant EWW at the entrance to the monolithic dome institute they have been trying to sell that for a while. Along with the land the monolithic dome institute is on behind it.  
That place is home of the absolute WORST chicken parm grinder and pizza. Otherwise it is pretty neat place that used to have alot of cools start trek and space movies stuff inside. Of course I went there briefly after moving to texas from working in NYC so perhaps I wasn't yet used to Texas "Italian" food yet  Grin

Sounds like y'all had fun out there. Hopefully soon I'll be out there again so I can get past my double secret probation  Wink

« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2008, 10:57am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2008, 6:52pm

[quote author=barlows link=1213583484/0#2 date=1213623834]Almost forgot, here's a pic from Italy, just after the control.  Looks like it's for sale if you wanna live in a spaceship....

I stopped by that today and have more pictures of it at www.lifeonabaron.blogspot.com

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print