Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Collin Classic (Read 3010 times)
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Collin Classic
Jun 14th, 2008, 1:06pm

Not sure the total number of riders, maybe 2,000. Extremely fast ride with just a few hills and minor chipseal. It looked ugly weather-wise to the north and I think I outran most of the rain as it passed south.  

I rode straight through without any stops and felt strong all the way

55.97 miles
2 hours 25 minutes
151 bpm average heart rate
21.8 mph average

Yea I'd say it was fun   www.lifeonabaron.blogspot.com

IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Collin Classic
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2008, 5:32pm

It was a fun ride even though we got into a bit of light rain on the 34 mile route for about 5 miles. Dianna, Eddie, Richard, occasionally Terry and I rode the route together for the most part. There was a very good turn out for the 17th annual Collin Classic ride and I didn't hear of any serious injuries. The police were at all the needed turns and the rest stops were all well stocked when we were at them. After the ride there was food waiting for us in the school lunch space.
I got a few photos uploaded at the Photobucket http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm179/jman7659/CollinClassic08/  
I had a great time  Cool

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2008, 6:16pm

Alan and I had a good time as well.  The ride up was nice with a slight tailwind.  It was nice and cool on the 55 mile route due to the clouds and later rain.  Saw Mark go by in the first few miles moving at a good clip.  Saw Foo at the Climax rest stop and got the talk to Steve a bit before he left for some roadie chasing!  The rain wasn't all that fun, and I went pretty slow through that part, wish I hadn't left my rain visor in the commuter bag.  It really helps to keep the water out of the eyes.  The wind picked up quite a bit for our return back to Plano. I got in @92 miles at just over 16mph so pretty happy.  Still on for trying to do the long ride next weekend.  Look forward to seeing some folks on the 200K, so will do my best to make it by start time.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2008, 6:43pm

I sure would like to know how I got shorted on the distance. I didn't take any shortcuts, and yet I ended up with 53.52 miles. Maybe the streams I was riding through interfered with my sensor.  

The downpour was probably a fair trade for the 95-degree high were were supposed to have but didn't. I finished in 3:08 with a rolling average of 17.5.

It was good to see so many bents out today. I should have done a better job of introducing myself, but that's always been on of my short suits.

For the novella, see my blog.

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2008, 9:47am by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2008, 6:59pm

Quote from FooRider on Jun 14th, 2008, 6:43pm:
I sure would like to know how I got shorted on the distance. I didn't take any shortcuts, and yet I ended up with 53.52 miles. Maybe the streams I was riding through interfered with my sensor.

The downpour was probably a fair trade for the 95-degree high were were supposed to have but didn't. I finished in 3:08 with a rolling average of 17.5.

It was good to see so many bents out today. I should have done a better job of introducing myself, but that's always been on of my short suits.

Smiley It was good to meet you at the lunch table and put a real face on minus the tung  Wink in your avatar.  
Our alledged 34 barely made 31 on my cyclometer and part of that was tooling through the parking lot looking for other bents. I heard Jonathan on the Begal was there, but I never saw him or Sadowski but did run into Bob (Banana Machine) McClure. Also there were a LOT of Bacchetta machnes out there I didn't recognize we need to recruit into our fold  Cheesy

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2008, 7:06pm

Dang you've become a beast.  I doubt I can hang with you at all right now.  Nice work, mate!

Quote from mleuck on Jun 14th, 2008, 1:06pm:
Not sure the total number of riders, maybe 2,000. Extremely fast ride with just a few hills and minor chipseal. It looked ugly weather-wise to the north and I think I outran most of the rain as it passed south.

I rode straight through without any stops and felt strong all the way

55.97 miles
2 hours 25 minutes
151 bpm average heart rate
21.8 mph average

Yea I'd say it was fun   www.lifeonabaron.blogspot.com

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2008, 7:06pm by aikigreg »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2008, 9:37pm

Quote from FooRider on Jun 14th, 2008, 6:43pm:

Foo ,I ended up with 53.69(I started/finished at the middle school)on my computer(not far off from your reading). Nelson ,it was good to see you. I was trying to catch Peggy & Foo at the end. I didn't quit make it(missed by a minute or so).

I ended with a ride time of 2:56-Avg speed-18.2 mph. The rain caught Peggy & I as well.  My apologies to Joe ,Dianna ,& Richard. I left the lunch table as you were sitting down. I had been sitting a while in the cool gym in wet clothes. I was freezing.  

Very good ride(easy course with good roads). Good turnout. Bikin' Mike announced a number of 2,500 or so.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2008, 10:19pm

Good reports, y'all. It sounds like the rbent crew had a good time at this ride. I probably should have joined you, but was too tempted by a close to home ride.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2008, 9:52am

Quote from jman on Jun 14th, 2008, 6:59pm:
Also there were a LOT of Bacchetta machnes out there I didn't recognize we need to recruit into our fold  Cheesy

There's also a guy who rides a Reynolds Weld Labs Z-bone dual 700 (SWB) who was part of the four-man 'bent freight train - along with Nelson, TiAero Dave, and I - during the 2006 Collin Classic. I don't know who he is, but I saw him out on the course yesterday. Didn't get to visit, though. I was doing about 18 at the time, and he blew by me at a pace worthy of you fast time trialer types.

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2008, 12:55pm by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

...occasionally Terry ???
Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2008, 1:00pm

Occasionally Terry???  I was the slowest bicyclist out there!   Had trouble keeping up with everyone.  I was pumping and pumping my little feet on my Rans un-Rocket and getting nowhere.   I thought I was having a personal problem.  At the end of the ride I discovered that one of the rear brake shoes where rubbing!!  After I got my bike up on the jeep I noticed that the rear shift cable and rear brake cable where twisted together.  (See photo below)  When I shifted gears the shift-cable would pull on the brake-cable making one of the shoes rub!  My sifter was working more like the resistence selector on a stationary excersize bike at the 24hr fitness then a efficient use of my power

Quote from jman on Jun 14th, 2008, 5:32pm:
It was a fun ride even though we got into a bit of light rain on the 34 mile route for about 5 miles. Dianna, Eddie, Richard, occasionally Terry and I rode the route together for the most part. I had a great time  Cool

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2008, 1:04pm by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2008, 1:53pm

I forgot to ask you what was wrong with the Baron?

IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2008, 1:56pm

I just want to say "THANKS" to everyone that helped change my flat on this ride.  Eddie is much faster than I am at changing flats--we didn't have to wait the hour for me to fix it.  Thanks to Bob McClure for the loan of the pump.  It was great to ride on a tire with the correct pressure.  I enjoyed riding with Terry, Eddie, Richard and Joe, plus it was great seeing everyone at lunch.

IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2008, 2:12pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Jun 14th, 2008, 10:19pm:
Good reports, y'all. It sounds like the rbent crew had a good time at this ride. I probably should have joined you, but was too tempted by a close to home ride.

We missed ya...you should have come. Great ride with good roads & relatively flat course.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: ...occasionally Terry ???
Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2008, 2:54pm

Quote from MrOverdressed on Jun 15th, 2008, 1:00pm:
Occasionally Terry??? I was the slowest bicyclist out there! Had trouble keeping up with everyone. I was pumping and pumping my little feet on my Rans un-Rocket and getting nowhere. I thought I was having a personal problem. At the end of the ride I discovered that one of the rear brake shoes where rubbing!! After I got my bike up on the jeep I noticed that the rear shift cable and rear brake cable where twisted together. (See photo below) When I shifted gears the shift-cable would pull on the brake-cable making one of the shoes rub! My sifter was working more like the resistence selector on a stationary excersize bike at the 24hr fitness then a efficient use of my power

Quote from jman on Jun 14th, 2008, 5:32pm:
It was a fun ride even though we got into a bit of light rain on the 34 mile route for about 5 miles. Dianna, Eddie, Richard, occasionally Terry and I rode the route together for the most part. I had a great time Cool

http://terry.pickl.com/media/photos/twistedcables.jpg

Welll, we thought you were hanging back to pick up biker babes  Grin Sorry about the brakes, try to look at the bright side, at least when you found the problem, you knew you weren't loosing it. So glad that the biuke didn't "eat it" going down a wet hill because of brake problems.

Oh, I would like to thank Eddie and Dianna for making it possible for me to do the ride once again, bike friends are the best.
And Dianna, you will be happy to know, my son Justin bought me skater elbow pads  Cheesy to wear so my elbows can at last heal from my clumsy falls. It's tough getting old sometimes  Grin I got a chance to try them out this morning on my round trip ride to Village Creek via RLP, I looked like a roller blader who decided to ride his bike but as long as I get to stay in one piece I don't care.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2008, 4:02pm

Quote from mleuck on Jun 15th, 2008, 1:53pm:
I forgot to ask you what was wrong with the Baron?

I purchased a new 26' wheelset from Plano Cycling (Some mavic Crossrides).  To be training wheels so that I dont abuse my carbon wheels.    I successfully installed the wheelset (tubes/tires/custom cassette and wheels mounted)  BUT I had trouble getting the rear derailleur adjusted.  No issues, Im just an beginner/amateur and adjusting derailleurs.

One trick I learned in adjusting the rear derailleur is checking that the derailleur dropout is not bent and is in its proper place.

Mark I enjoyed your re-cap.  I missed an uncommon oppurtunity to have some fun hammer-time.    

Terry  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print