Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:21pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Celina Century (Read 3684 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Celina Century
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:37am

Peggy & I rode 101.5 miles in Celina(northern Collin/Grayson county area). For those of you that rode with us last July on our rbent ride in Celina ,I don't need to remind you how NASTY the chip seal is heading north on Preston road & return to Celina. It has been awhile since Peggy & I have ridden this route(the 100 mile route consists of 2 loops a 55 mile loop ,then a 46 mile loop). We got a refresher real quick about the cheap seal!

Typical for Peggy & I ,we hammered way to hard the 1st leg(35 miles-we had a 19.3 mph avg. as we pulled into the 1st convenience store for a brief rest).  We headed south on 377 into the teeth of the howling wind. For whatever reason(maybe it's because there are very little wind breaks in this rural area) ,but the wind is 10x's worse here than our home in Frisco. We fought the wind for 13 miles then headed east to Celina. There are a series of nasty hills(short ,steep ,with that chip seal & heading into the wind...AGAIN). WE pulled into Old Town Celina Park with at mile 55 with a 17.2 avg. Time for a quick rest stop(bathroom break & food).  

Time for the 2nd smaller loop(46 mile route)-AGAIN on the chip seal on Preston-UGH! West to Tioga(birthplace of Gene Autry-the sining Cowboy) . Now the fun starts. At mile 72 ,the temperature starts to get "toasty". Peggy(who many of you know ,doesn't do well in the heat), says "she feels like she's riding in quick sand"-code for I'm in trouble with the heat. We pull into our rest stop in Tioga. 10-15 minute stop in a Citigo convenience store. Peggy pukes in the bathroom(which she didn't tell me until later). South on 377 -into the wind AGAIN! There seems to a theme here-wind ,chip seal.  

We head toward Celina gain(form 377) ,taking a different route(directly into the wind this time-GREAT...whose idea was this anyway?) Half way down FM 1385 Peggy pulls over & says she is seeing "spots". This is just perfect ,we're 11 mile from Celina ,10 miles from Pilot Point in the middle of no-where & she's going into heat stoke on me! HELP!  

Off the bike because she's seeing "spots" & has the "shakes". After a few minutes ,she pours herself back onto the bike ,we head back to Celina. At mile 92 ,I gulp my last sip of fluid from my camelbak. No problem ,I have 2-24 oz water bottles. Not much good when they're EMPTY! I had asked Peggy at our last stop(mile 78) if she thought we needed more Gatorade & she says "no". Lesson learned ,don't ask a person suffering from heat stroke about possible life/death decisions.  

Now the sun is really cooking us. I have nothing to drink. Suck it up ,there's only 9 miles to go...more nasty chip seal & hills. So what do we do ,we sprint-22-23 mph about 2 miles from the finish & then the final 1/2 mile.  

The finish-101.56 miles-avg speed-16.5 mph.I burned 4,392 calories. Bike time 5hrs-51 minutes.We both slither off the 'bents & seek shade & water. Sore & beaten down...we finished. I'm not a whiner about road conditions ,this ride kicked our butts. I'm a little sore today & I've ridden 200K brevets with more climbing ,longer distances ,& not been as beaten down as I was yesterday.

This a great ride for scenery & riding through little towns ,on mostly rural roads with little vehicle traffic(Preston rd north of Celina has little traffic with a nice wide shoulder. The part of the ride I'm not crazy about is 377-but even it has a nice wide shoulder to ride on).  

There is some climbing(heading north on Preston ,south on 377 ,& sets of nasty hills coming into Celina on FM 455). I would guess about 3,000+ feet of climbing for the 100+ miles.

Regardless of all the mistakes ,we finished(survived may be a better word). What some of us do for fun?!

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008, 3:55pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Re: Cleina Century
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2008, 12:29pm

Yikes. I'm beginning to understand why you always try to get others to come with you when you ride Celina. You need some voice of reason to hold you back so you don't kill yourselves.

You should have come out for the Plano East ride. We only did 40 miles at about 16.2, but we didn't almost kill ourselves. And you could have joined us for lunch and socializing at Pot Belly, where you could have met both "Ti" Dave and Raymond, the owner and current rider of the notorious Rotor-equipped Ti Aero, respectively.

I'm glad you guys didn't die out there, though.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Cleina Century
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2008, 1:58pm

Thanks Mikey, We too are glad that we didn't kill ourselves. Bud calls these "accomplishment rides". Sometimes it's about pushing yourself.  This ride along with the brevets pushes the boundaries for endurance ,makes us mentally tougher(we're glutten for punishment). I read somewhere that cycling is 70% mental & 30% physical. I firmly believe that .This was a training ride ,& Peggy & I will learn from the mistakes made(I forgot to mention we also ate next to nothing during the ride a payday 1/2 a P&J).  

It's not that we need others to keep an eye on us ,I figure if I'm going to get punished on chip seal ,I would spread the "love". Nice ,huh?! Come join us in Celina!

Peggy & I just got back from a 10+ mile recovery ride(just what the doctor ordered). We feel great ,ready to tackle the world.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Celina Century
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2008, 4:01pm

That Texas heat is a mutha...  and chipseal sucks...  but WIND?  You're about as laid back as a rider can be, so I don't wanna hear nuthin' 'bout no WIND...  Wink

I rode back home from Dallas this afternoon from 1 to 2:30, and could definitely feel that sun baking me...

Glad you two are OK!!!!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2008, 5:51pm

Glad y'all survived it ok. One thing that's easy for us to forget in May and early June is that our bodies are not used to the heat yet. Plus, it takes more fluids than we're used to having to down the last few months.  

That wind was pretty tough yesterday. I started off yesterday's ride with the hills east of Venus on FM875, then turned south against the wind to ride to Maypearl, then Italy. By the time I was getting close to Italy, I had a 13.8 mph average. I was thinking, "I'm going be be out here for days to complete 100 miles!"

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2008, 6:06pm

Like I said ,the wind ALWAYS seems to howl up in Celina(right Mikey-how times have we done the recumbent tilt-to counter balance the wind?) Still ,we 're ready for the next adventure.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2008, 6:11pm

Quote from Strada177 on Jun 1st, 2008, 6:06pm:
Like I said ,the wind ALWAYS seems to howl up in Celina(right Mikey-how times have we done the recumbent tilt-to counter balance the wind?) Still ,we 're ready for the next adventure.

Yes, it's amazing how much some areas seem to catch the wind. A small part of my neighborhood evening route is that way.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2008, 7:50pm

Chipseal, can't stand no stkin chipseal. It vibrates my eyballs and makes my shifter go out of adjustment ;(  For the heat part, I started toting my drink in a mini cooler with frozen water bottle under it and an insulated drink tube. I am pleased to report even the last sip is cool which is like gold on a scorcher like Sat. afternoon. Because of the way I end up sitting down in my Tango, I have ended up with the weirdest tan line, guess I have to call it a Bent tan Smiley  
Great report, now I know to stay away from that ride. Al though we only rode 52 miles to Ft.Worth and I thought some of Randol Mill was bad, this report makes ours look like we were on the golden road.  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2008, 10:42pm

My  report makes Peggy & I  sound like  a real treat ,huh?!  Generally ,we're pretty low maintenance to ride with. The route is great....low vehicle traffic ,no dogs ,just one draw back...chip seal(oh ,& wind).

Maybe it's no coincidence there a wind generating plant we past on the ride. Very appropriate.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 8:54am

Quote from Strada177 on Jun 1st, 2008, 10:42pm:
My report makes Peggy & I sound like a real treat ,huh?! Generally ,we're pretty low maintenance to ride with. The route is great....low vehicle traffic ,no dogs ,just one draw back...chip seal(oh ,& wind).

Maybe it's no coincidence there a wind generating plant we past on the ride. Very appropriate.

Wind generators are usualy a clue that it STAYS windy a lot there Smiley Maybe we could all switch to 65 psi sponge tire and call it a survival ride Wink I would like to go with you guys some time, we just have to get a proper alignment of the stars the day of the ride. Grin

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2008, 8:59am by jman »  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:46pm

Seve, tell Peggy to cary a freezer zip-lock bag with her ( qt size).  If she starts getting hot ( throwing-up), put ice in the bag and put it in her sports bra.  It lowers the core temp really fast and can get you through the heat.  It's worked several time for me, especially in August.  Some of the RAAM riders carry the frozen little blue things for coolers around there necks to get through the desert.  Whatever works.

IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 1:02pm

Quote from diannalightning on Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:46pm:
Seve, tell Peggy to cary a freezer zip-lock bag with her ( qt size). If she starts getting hot ( throwing-up), put ice in the bag and put it in her sports bra. It lowers the core temp really fast and can get you through the heat. It's worked several time for me, especially in August. Some of the RAAM riders carry the frozen little blue things for coolers around there necks to get through the desert. Whatever works.

Dianna...funny(not funny-ha,ha), Peggy usually carriers a zip lock bag with ice cubes ,cold water & cold face cloth on hot days. She just happened to forget the cold compress on Saturday. Again ,lesson learned. Thanks for the advice.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 1:21pm

Seve, tell Peggy to cary a freezer zip-lock bag with her ( qt size).  If she starts getting hot ( throwing-up), put ice in the bag and put it in her sports bra.  It lowers the core temp really fast and can get you through the heat.  It's worked several time for me, especially in August.  Some of the RAAM riders carry the frozen little blue things for coolers around there necks to get through the desert.  Whatever works.

You obviously don't know Peggy.  I'm envisioning the next incident of bra explosion sending ice missles hurtling through windshields all across 377.  I can see the headlines now:

"Mysterious phenomenon kills 20 on HWY 377.  Holes found in bodies with no evidence of any weapon known to man involved.  Alien invasion?"

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 4:06pm

Check out the PP presentation on heat from the HHH site. Takes a long time to acclimate to the hot climes.
Glad the Stradas persevered unscathed. Frozen bra inserts....hmmmmm.  

http://www.hh100.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&It emid=69

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 5:31pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 2nd, 2008, 1:21pm:
Seve, tell Peggy to cary a freezer zip-lock bag with her ( qt size). If she starts getting hot ( throwing-up), put ice in the bag and put it in her sports bra. It lowers the core temp really fast and can get you through the heat. It's worked several time for me, especially in August. Some of the RAAM riders carry the frozen little blue things for coolers around there necks to get through the desert. Whatever works.

You obviously don't know Peggy. I'm envisioning the next incident of bra explosion sending ice missles hurtling through windshields all across 377. I can see the headlines now:

"Mysterious phenomenon kills 20 on HWY 377. Holes found in bodies with no evidence of any weapon known to man involved. Alien invasion?"

SWEEEEEEEEEEET! We're riding the route again just to see if  Peggy can make it happen!!! It's DONE!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print