Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:18pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bardwell or Bust, my first century of 2008 (Read 1320 times)
Bud_Bent

Bardwell or Bust, my first century of 2008
May 31st, 2008, 9:24pm

After lung surgery in December, and chemotherapy from February to April, I've been having a tough time recovering. My endurance seems to be slowly coming back, but I still seem to have no strength on the bike, and struggle to drag myself up any hill.

But, I decided it was time to attempt my first century of the year, at the Fort Worth Bicycling Association club ride today, called Bardwell or Bust. Today was typical almost-June Texas weather, sunny, humid, a howling south wind, and a high in the mid 90's. The cue sheet that Jim Burrow, the ride leader, had emailed me showed an actual distance of 93 miles for the 100 mile route, so I arrived at the ride start early, and rode 7 miles on my own. I figured my first century of the year should really be 100 miles.

Before I left home for the ride, I grabbed Rose's camera. I figured since I'm only capable of "stop and smell the roses" speed right now, I might as well really stop and smell the roses, so I actually took some photos.

We rolled out of the town square of Venus at 8:00 am. Our first stop was at the town of Maypearl at mile 18.4. The next stop was mile 35 at Italy. There, all of the other riders in the group I was riding with (translation: slow riders) split off to ride the shorter routes, so I ended up riding the next 20 miles to Ennis alone. When I pulled into the store at the stop there, on a bench in front of the store sat none other than Mark Metcalfe, along with randonneuring acquaintance, Cheri Brown. It seems I had caught Mark on one of his rare easy pace days, and I did the rest of the ride with Mark and Cheri.

I ended up with 100.1 miles, with a blazing on-the-bike average of 15.1 mph. The route had 3400 feet of climbing. This has to be the longest overall century time I've ever done, but hey, I did finish, and at this point, I'll take that.

The start/finish at the town square of Venus.

The first stop at Maypearl. In case we needed cigarettes, they were on sale.

I stopped on the bridge over Lake Bardwell, my favorite crappie fishing spot, and took this photo.

Cheri and Mark.

After I joined up with Cheri and Mark.

Riding across Clark Lake.

Cheri and I at the last rest stop in Waxahachie.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2021, 4:44pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Bardwell or Bust, my first century of 2008
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2008, 9:39pm

Hey, most cyclists never even do a cwentury, and 15mph is nothing to sneeze at.  Very well planned century when you hit lmost exactly a 100!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2008, 10:15am

Bud ,congratulations & "good job"! You continue to be an inspiration to all of that ride. And look at you snapping pictures on the ride...a regular John Sadowski/Paul Brown.  

Did you bring your fishin' pole with you when you rode across your "spot" on Lake Bardwell??

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2008, 11:04am

I'll be seeing maypearl tonight myself!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2008, 4:03pm

All right, BUD!!  (Good pics, too!!!)

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2008, 9:28pm

Good going Bud, thanks for the jpgs also.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 4:17pm

Way to go Bud! You have true grit! Probably from all that time out there in Midland! Wink

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:15pm

Mark sure looks pooped out for a guy that does centuries for breakfast  Cheesy while Bud is grinning ear to ear,hmm wonder is there is something special in Buds juice bottle? Cheesy

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print