Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 7:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carrollton Cycling Memorial Day ride (Read 1068 times)
Bud_Bent

Carrollton Cycling Memorial Day ride
May 26th, 2008, 2:56pm

Terry, Mark, Greg, and I did this ride today. Terry did the 45 mile route, while the rest of us did the 57 mile route. It started at Big Bucks next to Bass Pro, and headed down familiar roads north of there. The Carrollton Cycling bunch seemed like a great group of folks, and made us feel very welcome on the ride. But the so-called "moderate" pace of the group we rode with was a bit fast for me. I was off the back of the group enough, it reminded me of my beginning riding days. And when I saw that Hilltop Road was on the route, I figured I would end up doing some walking, but I made it up Hilltop without stopping. I was slow, but didn't stop.

It was my longest ride on the Roadster, and in spite of my struggles to keep up, I enjoyed the ride on these very good riding roads very much. Mark was fast on the Baron, as always, and Greg was really strong on the V-Rex, too. That bike must really agree with him. After the ride, we had good food and conversation at Big Bucks. A very enjoyable day it was, but I am definitely toast, now. Thanks for posting this ride, Terry.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Carrollton Cycling Memorial Day ride
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2008, 3:39pm

It really must agree with me, considering I did the 57 miles with a 17mph average, even considering all the stopsigns, lights, and stops and starts.  Not to mention the nasty hilly 200k I did Saturday.  It doesn't even seem to bother me on the chipseal, though it still robs me of a lot of speed.

I'd honestly say I climb on it almost as well as I do any bike I've ridden, and I've ridden a lot.  My only fault is that it doesn't have that extra giddy-up when you want to catch up to a group ahead of you.  But it'll cruise at any speed an upright would do, seemingly.  Mark was still easily outpacing me of course, but I could keep up with the roadies the whole time so long as I focused on staying with them.  I'm half tempted to buy Steve's and throw a hoagie seat and put some light wheels and other hot rod tricks and do randonneuring with THAT.  

Heck, I was actually walking without any stiffness at all when we got up form the lunch table.  Oh man, that buffalo burger hit the spot and I usually avoid fries but theirs were darned good.

It was a GREAT ride.  We had perfect weather until the sun finally came out, end even then we had shade until the last 6-7 miles I think.  Nice friendly group.  My only complaint was that the "moderwate" paced ride I'd intended as a recovery from the Mineral Wells 200k was really a hammerfest.  Had we not stopped to regroup the times we did I think we'd have averaged 18+.   I was not happy with the way no one stopped to regroup when we started the twists and turns as we got back into town.  I wanted to stop and wait but it was a "hurry up or be left" deal.  

Mark sat on the front the whole way, and Bud was, I thin, the strongest he's been all year, though he won't admit it.  Bud, I think your lack of speed stems from having done most of your miles this year alone, without that club atmosphere that makes you push harder.  Not to mention your longest ride to date on the new bike.  (well, 2nd newest bike).

I had lots of people talking and asking questions about bents and being very friendly and open - mostly treating us like any other cyclist - as it should be.  I found it funny that the "fast group" we caught up to and then the wimps took a shortcut to avoid Hilltop Road.  Pansies.

Should hit 400 miles this month, which is close enough to what I got in march and April, and I hope to get 800 for June and July, and 600 for august.  That'll put me closer to being on track for my mileage goal this year.  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2008, 4:14pm

Next time you all participate in any rides that leave from Bass Pro or anywhere near Grapevine/Flower Mound, be sure to let me know as it's so close to my house.  Angie and I rode with the Texas Flyer's group, assuming it would be a moderate ride, and somewhat of a recovery ride from the tough 200k Greg and I did Saturday.  

To my delight, there were riders of all abilities.  That allowed Angie to ride at a slow 13-14 mph pace, and me to slug it out with the roadies.  We rode around lake Grapevine, starting in North Flower Mound, going down through Grapevine, Southlake, Keller.  Then up highway 377 to Argyle and back to Flower Mound.  A 50 mile ride.  I actually pulled the roadies quite a bit except on the tougher climbs (ie, Hilltop).  

My average speed was 18.4, including stop signs, lights, etc, with a ride time of approx 2.5 hours for 50 miles.  Very good for me, considering I was a tab bid tight in my quads from the 200k.  At the end about 8 roadies were asking me questions about recumbents, and were quite interested in the Titanium Aero.  I was as humble as possible, but was also very expressive in I explained how much more I enjoy riding a recumbent, and why.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2008, 6:37pm

Your Welcome Bud!  The credit goes to Bobbi who heard about it from riding with GDB folks on Saturday.   I couldnt find info on the Carrolton Cycling Club  website until I looked in their newsletter archive.  That is where I found the informaton I posted.

This ride was as nice as the Lancaster Country Ride.  I didnt realize how nice the roads are north of Lake Grapevine.  I had a great time on the 45 miles.  The little Rans Rocket rolls much better with the Kenda Kwest tires but I was still dragging behind the back of the pack.  BUT No one made me feel akward for this.  The Carrollton Cycling Club is a friendly group of people.  They kept a respectiable pace on the 45mile route and we returned ahead of the 67 milers.  I didnt expect to beat greg/mark/bub back to the parking lot.    

I need to get my Low-Racer mojo back!  So I can hang with the dogs.

Terry

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2008, 6:39pm by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2008, 7:07pm

I've got some images of the ride at www.lifeonabaron.blogspot.com including video of Bud and his Performer

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2008, 7:08pm by mleuck »  
  IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2008, 8:34pm

Quote from bikerteam on May 26th, 2008, 4:14pm:
Next time you all participate in any rides that leave from Bass Pro or anywhere near Grapevine/Flower Mound, be sure to let me know as it's so close to my house.  Angie and I rode with the Texas Flyer's group, assuming it would be a moderate ride, and somewhat of a recovery ride from the tough 200k Greg and I did Saturday.  

To my delight, there were riders of all abilities.  That allowed Angie to ride at a slow 13-14 mph pace, and me to slug it out with the roadies.  We rode around lake Grapevine, starting in North Flower Mound, going down through Grapevine, Southlake, Keller.  Then up highway 377 to Argyle and back to Flower Mound.  A 50 mile ride.  I actually pulled the roadies quite a bit except on the tougher climbs (ie, Hilltop).  

My average speed was 18.4, including stop signs, lights, etc, with a ride time of approx 2.5 hours for 50 miles.  Very good for me, considering I was a tab bid tight in my quads from the 200k.  At the end about 8 roadies were asking me questions about recumbents, and were quite interested in the Titanium Aero.  I was as humble as possible, but was also very expressive in I explained how much more I enjoy riding a recumbent, and why.  

I must have just missed you.  I rode up from Keller to Grapevine Lake, back south thru Southlake, crossed 114 several times, ended up trying a different route down through Colleyville to get home.  Last half much flatter than my usual routes, which I needed after my 41 mile hill pounder Saturday.  Saw lots of other bikers but no recumbents.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2008, 9:42am

Yes there where a army of cyclists out on Monday.  We encountered several groups of people who where not on our ride.  Including several pairs of biker babes.

Quote from robert.j on May 26th, 2008, 8:34pm:

Saw lots of other bikers but no recumbents.

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2008, 8:08pm

Quote from mleuck on May 26th, 2008, 7:07pm:
I've got some images of the ride at www.lifeonabaron.blogspot.com including video of Bud and his Performer

Nice photos and video, Mark. That Roadster is a sweet handling bike. I had no issues at all with it on my first longer ride on it, so I'm now pronouncing it dialed in.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2008, 9:00pm

Should be - you tinkered/upgraded with it for 6 months Smiley

..of course, I'm still working on the tica, so who am I to say anything?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2008, 9:32pm

Bud looks way too comfy on that Performer, I bet those DFs were secretly envious when their sit bones were starting to ache  Cheesy

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print