Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 9th, 2024, 10:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installing tire (Read 1866 times)
robert.j

rbent member

Installing tire
May 22nd, 2008, 11:03pm

OK, the new Continetal GPs are here but I don't seem to be able to get them on the rims - just too darn tight!  I like how the instructions say "you shouldn't need tools for this part."  Yeah, right.  I can't even get it WITH the tools!  Anyone got any suggestions for installing these things??  Save me the embarrassment of walking in to Bike's Inc to get tires put on my rims!  Although it's already embarrassing enough to post on here Tongue
Seems like I read somewhere on the internet that the stock 650 rims on the Corsa have had this problem, they're just a tiny bit larger than they should be.

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2008, 11:05pm by robert.j »  

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Installing tire
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2008, 11:11pm

Just a good solid lever and some elbow grease.  Although if you don't like that idea, I have some stuff that stelvio makes that makes it a cinch to get tight tires on.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2008, 11:40pm

My past experience with brute force has not been pleasant, but maybe it's appropriate here.  I was hoping there was some magical incantation...

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2008, 7:48am

With my marathon plus tires that are an absolutely fight to get on I put a little handsoap on the edge of the remaining portion of hte rim and/or inside of the tire to make the tire bead slide over it easier.  

Now with the marathon plus tires it still takes a good 10-15 minutes since I have to be careful or else I end up slipping and tearing up my hand. Some rims the marathon plus supposidly go on pretty easily but neither of mine are the ones that do.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2008, 12:06pm

A couple thoughts...

*  if you've partially inflated your inner tube to get it to stay, deflate it once you're to the point of trying to get the tire over the rim;

*  Do what you can to push the bottom half (already on the rim) further into the rim well, sliding your hands up both sides around the tire;

*  If all else fails, use a couple tire levers.

*  I like the soap idea, but don't overdo it!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2008, 9:08pm

Robert,

I have a conti gp on the rear rim of my Corsa. I had the same problem. I thought it would just not go on. After many tries I got it on with just the small plastic tire tools. My hands were sore afterwards. You might leave them out in the sun and let them really warm up before your next attempt.

RichardC

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2008, 11:14am

I have had that problem myself. The tire really goes on hard when new but as it gets used it goes a little easier.
Unfortunately just about the time it gets real easy, the tire needs to be replaced.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - May 26th, 2008, 6:23pm

I've had that problem as well, the solution I found works best for me on very tight install is to first get one tool in and stretch the rim bead as much as it takes to get a second tool in, then once that one is in I remove the first and start Leap Frogging them one in front of the other till I subdue my rim into submission  Cheesy. It requires a firm hand and patience. After the first install if I have to (and who doesn't) repeat the process, it gets easier like John said. You need to be careful not to get the tube involved in the process or the repair procedure will be much earlier than planned  Wink
I'll tell you how it goes when my 26 x 1-1/8 Continental Ultra Gatorskin rear tire gets here hopefully this week. I am searching for that "perfect rear tire  Grin" if one exists I hope those Germans have their act together, cause I hate getting dumped because of smooth pebbles or a little mud. Or at least reduce the number, if not, y'all should take out stock in Band Aid  Cheesy cause I keep em in business. Oh well, no pain, no gain  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2008, 10:54am

My tire change issues got better when I obtained some VAR levers...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/var/pages/var0051.html  (#425)

I got mine from Zach Kaplan.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2008, 8:26pm

Richard:  Finally got around today to trying to get the tires on again.  Your idea about leaving them out in the sun made a lot of difference, thanks for the tip.  Other than that, it was just a little elbow grease, though I had to be right on the edge of breaking those tire levers!
I'll get out in the morning and try them out.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print