Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 7:28pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surprising 21 miles tonight.... (Read 798 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Surprising 21 miles tonight....
May 20th, 2008, 9:13pm

I adjusted Alexis' v-rex tonight to fit me, which consisted of :
moving the seat back almost as far as it'll go along the channel - which makes it nearly bolt upright.
removing the tandem crank shorteners to take the cranks form 110mm to 153mm
raising the riser to allow for knee clearance.

Unfortunately, I don't have hard and fast numbers on performance, but I completed 21miles in 79 minutes.  One of you math whizzes wanna compute that for me?  

The v-rex is nimble, stable, comfortable.  Everything you could want in a bent.  It definitely can't maintain a high cruising speed by comparison to a lowracer or highracer, but it can maintain normal cruising speed seemingly as well, and it had this ZIPPY feel going up hills that makes it seem pretty danged fast.  Perception tells me it climbed better than the carbon aero, but my head tells me that must be wrong.

Weight distribution must be very close to 50/50, because I felt very comfortable going across gravel and going fast and pedalling through turns, which i don't often do on the racers.  

Nice ride for a heavier bike.  I was extremely surprised to say the least.  Looks like I'll be able to do the 200k this weekend after all!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Surprising 21 miles tonight....
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2008, 9:34pm

You're gonna do a 200K on a "bolt upright" seat???  Doing the 30+ miles on Rose's Stratus didn't do my lower back any good...  

BTW, that's roughly 16 mph average...  not a surprising cruising speed, overall, and it SHOULD climb pretty well with that posture giving you a good push against the seat back.

But I'd seriously reconsider that 200K... Roll Eyes

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2008, 10:20pm

No real choice, if I want to stay on track for the R12 award.  I wouldn't consider it if I had a working aero, but wish in one hand and crap in the other.....

What problems do you forsee with the upright seat, other than likely getting recumbutt?  Wind shouldn't be extreme, so I should be ok.  Worst case scenario I DNF, but I gotta try!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2008, 11:48pm

You don't need to carry all that much for a 200K, if you're adapted to the TiCa I'd ride that.  But going slower on the V-Rex might not be bad either, supposed to be fairly hot, which for me to maintain calorie intake and hydration generally means going slower.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2008, 9:34am

I wouldn't say I'm adapted to it for a 200k, for sure.  Plus it's in need of brake shoes badly.  I might reconsider if they get here in time.    

Besides, if you can do it on a new upright with a broken seatpost, I can surely do it on a v-rex after having done 2 on the aero in it's most upright position.   Grin

Now, what's the time limit on a 200k again? Smiley  You coming, Nelson?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2008, 10:35am

Hi Greg,

I'm sorry I'm going to miss it, I'm heading to Houston to see my Grandmother over the weekend.  Hopefully get a ride in down there, although it will be less than 200K.  I'll miss getting to ride with you!  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2008, 8:12am

Greg - I'll be riding the 200k Saturday.   I won't be trying to ride 18 plus mph avg. speed like I was able to do at Cross Timbers.  Dennis Cook is coming up from College Station, and when I ride with Dennis, that usually means a relatively easy pace for 200k.  That is if you can use "easy" and "200k" in the same sentence.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print