Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:18pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cedar Hill (Read 433 times)
catroad254

rbent member

Cedar Hill
May 11th, 2008, 8:56pm

I did the "Head for the Hills" metric century ride this weekend. This the second year for this ride and they put on a very good ride. The route has virtually no chip seal and is mostly low traffic roads. I only stopped at one rest stop but it was well stocked and had plenty of porta-johns. Turns were well marked as were any defects in the road surface. Good Hamburgers served at the end of the ride.

There was a low bent turn out but reading the other posts I know where a lot of them were. In addition to myself there was Mark on the low racer, John S on his Vision and "Santa" on a P-38 (I didn't get Santa's real name but he's got a great white beard).

More bents should do this ride. In spite of the name the amount of climbing is not bad at all and there are a couple of really nice downhill runs.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Cedar Hill
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2008, 9:10pm

Corsa Ken... ,gettin' ready for Utah! You had better like climbing. When the route maps have an abbreviation that heads "mtn" ,you had better like climbing.

Good ride report on "Head for the Hills".

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Cedar Hill
Reply #2 - May 11th, 2008, 10:10pm

I did the head for the hills too1  Sort of.

Last night at 5pm I met up with Barlows from bikeforums to re-create the Cedar Hills pay ride that had taken place that day.  We were going to ride the 66 mile route and then ride the 40 as time allowed to get a sweet century in with most of the riding done at night.

This was pure genius on Steve's part to suggest this, by the way.  Even though he had everything plugged into his garmin, we had spray painted directions, and presumably the roads would be swept clean of debris.

So we met at cedar hills high school and it seemed windy as heck with the front moving in.  It was hot and humid as well.  I was glycogen drained to begin with having raced the HCTT earlier that day.  We set off about 5:45 and immediately got in some bonus miles having to backtrack around to the route, and hit the wind and the hills around Ceder Hill, 67, and Texas Plume road.  some of the roads around there have some potholes and such, but they were all very well marked.  We did that entire back stretch of road from our tues/thurs night routes, Bud.  My thighs just weren't having much of the hills and I was MUCH slower than I should be, but Steve was kindly enough to wait up for me until I warmed up and could keep up.  We were dripping with sweat for a while - it was running out of Steve's helmet and my back was soaked through.  Between that and the sunscreen I stopped being able to shift gears and had to grind the pedals and my knees up some pretty solid inclines.   I've got to get bar end shifters for the aero.

It got dark right about the time we hit the halfway point in Maypearl, where we stopped for liquid refreshment.  Of course the wind shifted with the front coming in to be back in our faces, but honestly we were in such heavily treed, sheltered area where we rode that it wasn't a factor until the last 4-5 miles of the ride anyway.  It was really good country to ride in.  

We hit the lights and had no problems navigating, between my L&M arc-lion and his home-made LED that was almost as bright.  The bugs sure liked mine better though!  When we stopped at an intersection it was like my bike was the bug's momma!  The bugs lasted only a few minutes and then it was a cool dry ride all the rest of the way back.  Smooth roads and practically zero traffic that time of night.  It was like we had the whole thing to ourselves.

When we got back, Steve treated me to an ice-cold beer that we drank out of water bottles - most fitting and dont'cha know a Cedar Hill cop pulled up right as I was about to take my first swig.  The cop says:

"you boys ride that bicycle ride today?"  (what, you think we're just that MF'in slow, dude? - it's 11pm!)  

So after he left we drank our beers and had a good chat.  If you ever get to ride with Steve, he's a class act all the way.  It's rare that I've ridden with such a friendly Df rider.

So some of you fine folks really need to come out with us when we do this night ride again.  It was really a blast!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print