Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:18pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
May HCTT (Read 1552 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

May HCTT
May 10th, 2008, 8:38pm

Decided to drive up today to save my legs, and sleep late. After seeing Robert's and Greg's bikes something had to be done. Normally my bike weighs in at just about 50lbs in commuting garb, note the pretty tassles Grin

So I stripped off everything that didn't involve cutting zip ties or unscrewing things and came up with a bit lighter bike.

I put a little more air in my tires then I have when I commute so I think between the weight reduction and little more air it helped out my time, not to mention going first and constantly looking in my mirrors and then seeing how close everyone was at the turn around. Except for my little startup wobble where I almost went offroad for a bit I had a really solid ride. I never ride in the big ring and except for two hills I needed a little more spinning up I stayed in the big ring the whole time. Probably the fastest ride I have had or will have in the near future. It was all pedal, breath, pedal, breath, glance in mirror, ignore cramp repeat.

March results (that I missed)  
http://www.ic3-ntx.org/March_Results_For_Web.pdf
May results
http://www.ic3-ntx.org/May_Results_For_Web.pdf

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2008, 8:39pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: May HCTT
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2008, 1:31am

End result:  I got the thingy beat out of me by a newb with fenders  Roll Eyes

...more on my crappy ride tomorrow.  Just got back from my night ride and I want some sleepy time.

Kudos Mark - you kicked my arse, bud!

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2008, 5:02pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2008, 5:07pm

What's this?  What's this???  Shocked    Cheesy   EV's been sandbagging????

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2008, 6:55pm

It's the bike man! Just wait till John Schlitter pulls out a giro 26 with big fat tires for low rolling resistance, aero fenders instead of a disc wheel, a rack to stiffen the frame and a $11 bell bottle dynamo light system you'll see!
 Roll Eyes
I think I'm gonna retire now before everyone heals up. I've had 17 years to heal up from my ankle surgery so except for that I weigh more than 5 sandbags i'm all good. Cool

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2008, 7:02pm

Quote from evblazer on May 11th, 2008, 6:55pm:
It's the bike man! Just wait till John Schlitter pulls out a giro 26 with big fat tires for low rolling resistance, aero fenders instead of a disc wheel, a rack to stiffen the frame and a $11 bell bottle dynamo light system you'll see!
Roll Eyes
I think I'm gonna retire now before everyone heals up. I've had 17 years to heal up from my ankle surgery so except for that I weigh more than 5 sandbags i'm all good. Cool

EV...congrats on the spectacular ride yesterday. As far as JS is concerned...make sure you don't have kickstand on the Giro, he'll bust your b*lls about that...trust me,I speak from personal experience.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2008, 7:10pm

Of course I have the kickstand but after it blew over yesterday I kind of worry about it. I am more concerned he'll take my one arm bandit away when he sees that I strapped a bell bottle dynamo light to it.

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2008, 7:12pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2008, 10:16pm

I really don't know what's my problem this year.  I mean, I know I'm recovering from surgery and all, and will be for 6 more months, but it's weird.  I've gained back a ton of weight in the last 2 weeks, which makes no sense, and doing that TT was like riding through the mud.  The only change made to the bike was that the long reach bars were added and I reclined the seat back a bunch.

You know how you can "turn it on" and just click into an extra gear, or at least start spinning faster?  I had NONE of that.  It felt the whole ride like it was my first time on the bike since the surgery.

It felt the same way last night during the ride in cedar hills I did.  

The only thing I can think of is that I haven't gone to the gym since the surgery, and my muscles are slack.   I don't know, but it's really bugging me.  I want this to be my fastest year ever, and I want to do some really long rides in case I get asked to do RAAM again next year.

I've been really pissed at myself all weekend.  I just don't get it.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2008, 10:32am

Dan Apgar Photography pics are up. (
http://www.simplephoto.com/SC/index.cfm?fuseaction=EventLoad&eid=5738392& ;fn=DanApgarPhotography Last page and fifth page of thumbnails direct link was timing out.

When I was recovering from my ankle surgery it took a long time before I kinda felt good all of the time, and that was way back when I was 16 and 115lbs so really wasn't putting the load on it that I am now. *sigh*  
Maybe your body was just forcing you to take it easy while your ankle recovers which could be a good thing long term especially if you are avoiding the gym. That and I had karma on my side since I was sweeping the course of a broken up rear brake lens, rocks and even removed some roadkill on my morning shakeout ride ewww.

Edit: I'm just a commuter and all but fwiw it did take me a couple hundred miles to get used to having my seat reclined another two clicks and for a while I just felt like I couldn't pedal anymore.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2008, 12:40pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #8 - May 12th, 2008, 10:36am

I know what my problem is, a fair amount of burnout, I've been crosstraining abit the last couple of weeks, and cut back on the riding, hopefully I'll kickstart in time to make the July edition.  Hope to see you there.

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2008, 10:37am by Kwijybow »  

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2008, 1:26pm

Quote from evblazer on May 12th, 2008, 10:32am:
I had karma on my side since I was sweeping the course of a broken up rear brake lens, rocks and even removed some roadkill on my morning shakeout ride ewww.

Really?  Friday night/Saturday morning must have been a doozy, as I swept that whole thing Friday morning...literally.  Push broom, shovel and blisters to prove it Smiley

WWW DallasBikr   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2008, 1:45pm

Quote from DallasBikr on May 12th, 2008, 1:26pm:
Quote from evblazer on May 12th, 2008, 10:32am:
I had karma on my side since I was sweeping the course of a broken up rear brake lens, rocks and even removed some roadkill on my morning shakeout ride ewww.

Really?  Friday night/Saturday morning must have been a doozy, as I swept that whole thing Friday morning...literally.  Push broom, shovel and blisters to prove it Smiley

I think you did a great job there wasn't much out there considering it was 12 miles. The gravel/rocks were near those gravel driveways so anytime someone drove in/out they probably ruined your brooming and anything I kicked off anyhow. The red lens that was all broken up was near one too so maybe a little fender bender but that roadkill looked pretty flat. I wonder if it just got blown into the shoulder because it was soo old. I probably could have left it all there and no one would have noticed I just had some time to kill and figured why not.

The sag/van actually stopped to check on me when I was cleaning up some stuff to make sure I was ok which was nice but I think he missed my punting of the road kill and then he had to hold me up at the start line poor guy.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2008, 1:47pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print