Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 28th, 2024, 5:09am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire recommendations? (Read 2357 times)
robert.j

rbent member

Tire recommendations?
May 5th, 2008, 11:09pm

Inspected the tires on the Corsa last Sunday and discovered several significant cuts in the tire, so I'm thinking it's time to look for something else.  What kinda tires would you recommend for someone with only two priorities - minimal risk of flats and as fast as possible.  I'm not too concerned about how long they last, comfort, etc.  Anyone ever have tubulars on 650 rims??

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Tire recommendations?
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2008, 11:33pm

tons of 650 tubies.  If you want the best mix of everything then you want either the michelin pro race 2 or the NEW style conti GP 4000 tire.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2008, 8:51am

Greg, thanks for the info.  Michelin it is!  BikeTiresDirect had them for $42.  Hopefully get them in time for the Time Trial this weekend.  I'm sure with these new tires, now instead of passing me at 2 miles from the start you'll pass me 2.00001 miles from the start!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2008, 8:56am

I'm still thinking about getting a tubular set built up.  I've got some Campy hubs sitting around doing nothing that maybe could be matched up to some 650 rim.  I've ridden nothing but sew-ups on my upright bikes and always liked them despite the near impossibility of fixing flats.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2008, 9:43am

Quote from robert.j on May 6th, 2008, 8:51am:
Greg, thanks for the info.  Michelin it is!  BikeTiresDirect had them for $42.  Hopefully get them in time for the Time Trial this weekend.  I'm sure with these new tires, now instead of passing me at 2 miles from the start you'll pass me 2.00001 miles from the start!

We'll see -  If my secret weapon arrives from Garrie Hill this week I'll be riding the tica and scaring the shite out of roadies.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2008, 10:59am

So you made it 2 miles huh? I think I get a 1 minute lead on Greg and doing a little estimation based on prior results, secret weapon fudge factor and my test run I'm calculating passing time around hey look at that 5 minutes into my ride which puts me at a 2 miles so it may be a busy mile marker  Wink

If I don't say anything as you pass it is probably because I only have enough air to pedal  Grin

Ill be sporting my new Vredestein Perfect Moiree for the ride. At least they are only 428 grams each instead of the 980 gram ones I had been eyeing. (that is per tire for all you gram counters)

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2008, 10:10pm

The Moirees are interesting - I put 'em on for a thousand miles or so.  They're actually a little noisy if you use a fairing, due to the central tread.  Kelvin at Angletech had recommended them to me for WRTrail winter riding.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2008, 10:53pm

I was going to go with "round and black" but there are some really great tires in 650 that are red.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2008, 8:31am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 7th, 2008, 10:10pm:
The Moirees are interesting - I put 'em on for a thousand miles or so.  They're actually a little noisy if you use a fairing, due to the central tread.  Kelvin at Angletech had recommended them to me for WRTrail winter riding.

They are by far noisier then the comets or kwests I had. It was interesting to hear all the different noises they made depening on the terrain for a while. They have been holding me up well on my commute by handling hail, rain, sand, debris and hard stops well. The noise gets well drowned out when I drop my bottle generator on the rim though, that thing screams  Cool

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #9 - May 9th, 2008, 5:36am

I'm not sure if they will fit all Bacchetta's, but on my Aero I use, and love, these 28mm tires.  They roll as well, or better than 23mm tires, and are a lot more comfortable.  I have several thousand miles on mine, have never had a flat, and they have a lot of life left in them.  
http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2147

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2008, 10:10am

I've heard good things about the Panaracer brand from fellow Rando types....  I like the look of that tire...

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2008, 2:01pm

If the Terry's had fit the Corsa I never would have gotten a 26" wheelset, Alas wasn't to be.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #12 - May 12th, 2008, 5:46pm

Well, the Michelins arrived Friday in time to change them out for the TT Saturday.  Unfortunately they (biketiresdirect.com) sent 700s instead of 650s. Angry  So, returned today and not sure they've got any 650s so no telling what I'll end up with.  Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #13 - May 12th, 2008, 9:17pm

Quote from robert.j on May 12th, 2008, 5:46pm:
Well, the Michelins arrived Friday in time to change them out for the TT Saturday. Unfortunately they (biketiresdirect.com) sent 700s instead of 650s. Angry So, returned today and not sure they've got any 650s so no telling what I'll end up with. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Robert, well that's a beat down. Remember my e-mails to you . If you're still interested ,I have the website for you.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print