Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pre-HCTT Test run. (Read 517 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Pre-HCTT Test run.
May 3rd, 2008, 4:32pm

I finally got up there to see the little course and it looked pretty good. I kicked a few branches out of the shoulder but it looked really good for shoulders. The only places that aren't currently marked off with paint to be weary of is probably in front of that concrete place. I'm not 100% if it is on the course but it would be on the return leg if it is. Mostly just some concrete splatter in the shoulder but not much. Of course I got big 26"x1.35" tires so I'm not sure if/how they'd affect all you skinny tire runners.

The ride up there was mostly nice except for the one mile stretch in front of the golden triangle mall crossing under 35. With all the construction pushing it down to 1 lane each side with all those shopping center entrances and a blinking yellow light it was fun times. I took 228 for a half mile on the shoulder which was interesting. Never been on a road with actual exit signs while I was on my bike. I got to pass juvi hall and the county courthouse where I was on tuesday for jury duty. I'm glad I didn't try and ride my bike up there tuesday it would have been a nightmare.

When I finally got to the middle school I found what I thought to be the start line which was a little orange line with an S. I reset my computer and off I went. It was somewhat windy and those hills were pretty tought trying to get up with any speed. Reached the turn around after what seemed like ages and traffic was clear so i did a 180 and headed the other way. I really can't get inclines right on my recumbent. Before the turnaround I thought I was going uphill but when I turned it looked like that was uphill. I think according to the chart my first guess was right but it doesn't last long before I hit the big hill on the way back.

When I hit the 1km to go I was out of juice. I spun up the hill and just rolled to the school entrance.  
So the time to beat May 10th is
Distance: 12.66 Miles
Time: 47:36
Avg: 15.96

The ride home was faster then my ride up and more people held up traffic to let their kids hang out windows to gawk at my bike. Rode 100k today though  Smiley

biggest goof up of the day? My mp3 player must have gotten left on friday so it was dead when I left so no music  cry  I only got yelled at once that roads are for cars. Most of the other interaction was people holding up traffic to let their kids get a better look at my bike. I have shiney streamers on it so apparantly all the kids love it now.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Pre-HCTT Test run.
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2008, 5:36pm

You should get that no problem.  I suspect you rode further than the actual course by a smidge anyway.  Hopefully I'll have the tica back together by then.  I left my wheel back in Ohio for a super-secret upgrade.

Greg

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
DallasBikr

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2008, 6:44pm

That line with the 'S' is indeed the start, and will have officials, a holder and duct tape on the ground next Saturday.  The finish will have duct tape, a tent and more officials.  Did you see the 200 meter to go paint?

If the last 3 or 4 weeks are any indication, we'll get even more branches and such on the road from a Wednesday or Thursday night storm.

The concrete plant is on the return leg, and we sweep it pretty well.  If there are new splatters, we'll paint them.  I've never had a complaint that any of it was a big deal though Smiley

I can't believe you rode loop 288 by the mall...I'm kind of nuts and won;t do that!

DB

WWW DallasBikr   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2008, 10:40pm

The 1km to go and the 200meters to go was still there. The 200meters is just before shoulder ends, or shrinks to barely big enough for one bike, and the right turn lanes begin.

The splatter wasn't bad but I would probably have avoided it if I had been on my merlin with it's 700x25 instead of my big fat donuts on the giro. The gravel in front of those range driveways wasn't bad at the time either.

Crud I gotta check my computer. I wonder if I changed it when I switched from the 1.5s to the 1.35s. Still wouldn't change my time but it may be screwing up all my mileage.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print