Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:18pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rockwall to Caddo/380 (Read 1170 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Rockwall to Caddo/380
Apr 27th, 2008, 3:42pm

I joined the Rockwall tri gang Saturday morning to get some riding in.   They were planning a 7AM start, about 8 miles from my house -- so I got on the bike at 6:30 in the pre-dawn light, flashers blinking, and made it to the Rockwall start without incident, in good time.  This was a bit early for most, apparently, and it was a bit chilly, so there were only 6 of us.

We went east/northeast, up Lakeshore, across Hwy 78 to 552 to Hwy 66, 20 miles to Caddo Mills.  552 is a 5 mile stretch of significant rollers, without very much traffic.  However, 66 is basically a two-lane road without shoulder, which I've ridden before a few times and had nothing to recommend it.  However, this early in the morning, there wasn't very much car traffic.

Going northeast to Caddo, we had a headwind all the way -- which obviously would mean a pleasant tailwind for the return trip!   Smiley  We were keeping a reasonable 16-17 mph pace into it on 66 most of the way, slowing for a bit through Royse City -- but once I knew we were approaching Caddo, I called out "Rest stop ahead, let's GO!" and ramped it up to 25 into the wind -- and had one guy latch on, and stick like glue...  About a mile or so further on, I realized there was still a good half mile or more to go, and I had gone too soon...   Grin Sad  Billy passed me, and held a ~25 foot lead the rest of the way in to the stop.  We had a good laugh about it!

After the rest stop, a couple riders turned back, and the other four of us headed north on 36, through a very nice 5-6 mile section -- two lane road, but almost no cars.  This took us up to where 380 crosses, where we turned around.  From this point on, we had either a cross or direct tailwind going back across 66 and 552, so we kept it at 20ish most of the way back, even through the rollers of 552.

After we finished up, I headed back across the 66 bridge to Rowlett, holding 32 mph all the way across with that same tailwind.  Got home, and did an extra mile or so around the neighborhood, for an even 70.0 arriving in the driveway, with a 17 average.  And it was barely 11AM -- so I got in 70 before you Muenster folks even TOOK OFF yesterday!   Grin Cheesy Wink

Then, it was such a nice day, I grabbed a couple of things from inside the house, and rode to Target, the post office, and the LBS, for another 5, before putting it away for the day...

Rockwall to Caddo is an OK route, but I definitely don't recommend riding on Hwy 66, even out there between Rockwall and Greenville...  But I like riding with this group!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Rockwall to Caddo/380
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2008, 6:14pm

Sounds like fun Paul!  Is this the group that rides out of the Rockwall Cyclling store?  Also perhaps you know how the riding is from downtown Garland over to Rockwall on Hwy 66 (across the lake).

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2008, 8:45pm

I used to ride out 66 about once a week, but things got really bad in the last couple of years with people in Rowlette trying to run me off the shoulder (!) and using me as target practice for whatever they had in arms reach, and managing to hit me with the chunk of pipe (on the helmet) which was when I decided to stop riding out to Rockwall to watch airplanes.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2008, 9:49am

Yes, 66 from Garland through Rowlett is not safe -- three lanes each way, and no shoulder except on the bridge.  I stay off it, essentially...  Otherwise, my bike commute would be 14 miles one way instead of 7.5...

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2008, 3:30pm

Ugh sounds ugly, what is the best alternative route, I need to ride over to Rockwall cycling to pick up a new front wheel for the Bacchetta.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2008, 4:40pm

Nelson,  how are you going to carry a 650c wheel all the way home from Rockwall, in nasty traffic, on your bike.  Can you have Joey mail it to you?

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2008, 7:17pm

Hi Ray,

I already made sure I could mount one on the Bleriot rack OK.  The Garland to Rockwall route is if I take the train to Rockwall.  I could ride down from my house on Goliad St for the final bit if there isn't a particularly good route from Garland.  Today though I almost called and had him mail it, but I kinda want to make sure I have it for Saturday, and who knows how long it would take to ship it?

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2008, 6:16am

Nelson - be sure to tell Joey hi, and if you don't mind, tell him I'm more than likely going to sell the Trinity if he can help me sell it.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2008, 6:07pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Apr 28th, 2008, 3:30pm:
   Ugh sounds ugly, what is the best alternative route, I need to ride over to Rockwall cycling...
Nelson.

Where are you starting from, Nelson??

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2008, 6:48pm

I was pretty much figuring on taking the train to downtown Garland, so the DART station out to the new Rockwell Cycles place at the Target off Ridge Dr.  I talked to Joey, he commutes via train from Irving to there, and rides across 66, so I figure I will too, He agrees that it is pretty Gnarly west of the lake on 66 though.  I may also just ride over from my work in Richardson at 75 & Collins and skip the train.

Any suggestions are certainly welcome!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2008, 10:44am

There IS no good way that I'd consider "safe", or really practical, for solo riding out to the Rockwall store from Garland, except for early in the mornings before the traffic starts to build up.  You can catch an occasionally-scheduled bus from Garland out to Rowlett, but it doesn't buy you much, distance-wise, and probably adds to the delay.  If you're going to ride across 66, since it's three lanes, TAKE THE RIGHT LANE and make 'em go around you, except on the lake bridges that have a decent shoulder.  However, watch for glass in the shoulder areas.

Once you get to Rockwall, take Lakeshore Drive as far south as you can, then make your way the rest of the way to the bike shop.

Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2008, 12:40pm

Hi Paul,

Well this has passed, Wednesay I rode out from the train station, and used the 66 - Lakeshore route you mentioned.  66 at 5-5:30pm is an interesting ride, and I'm glad it is not my normal commute.  The wind whipping across the lake was also interesting.  Not a trip I plan to make as part of a regular commute!  I hung out with Joey a bit and he dropped me at Union Station on his way back to Bedford so I didn't have to do 66 going back.  I like Rockwall though and it seems like a nice place to live and ride.

Thanks for the advice. Smiley

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print