Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:18pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A personal ride breakthrough(confessions of a slow (Read 1023 times)
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

A personal ride breakthrough(confessions of a slow
Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:44am

(tweaked a  bit - PB)
Paul encouraged me to post a message I sent him yesterday so here it goes.
" I feel like God has answered my prayers that involve my cycling. For over a year now I have experimented with different styles of recumbents searching for that seemingly elusive performance breakthrough. Yesterday that miracle occurred when I finally broke through the 12 mph average. In spite of the wind yesterday and today on 2 rides of 24 miles of stopping,starting and dodging baby strollers  Cheesy  
I averaged 13.2mph. That meant that on the roads of hwy 157 and Trinity Blvd I was riding at 17-20 mph with the exceptions of climbing in 3 short very steep areas. One was under the train bridge the others on Trinity. In a lot of the RLP I was doing 14-17mph. Now I know that these speeds are much less than you fast riders do, but few know, with the exception of you and Eddie that just 3 years ago I was either hobbling around on a cane (custom made mind you ) or at times in a wheel chair (now in the storage shed.
 My neuro-muscular disease has taken its toll and I do have to continue taking tons of meds a day but at least when I am on my Tango, I am free and able to enjoy an activity that 5 years ago if you told me what I would be doing now, I would tell you, you were nuts     Smiley  
Well because my condition is so weird, I don't even try to explain it to anyone, but I was just so excited about this personal breakthrough, I had to tell someone. Thanks for lending me an ear so to speek.
God bless,
joe "

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:05pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Re: A personal ride breakthrough(confessions of a
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 3:42pm

Good report Jman. In this old world, I will take a personal victory how ever it comes. I am a slow poke most of the time. I think for the first year I rode my average overall was about 12 mph. The second year it didn't quite break 13. This year is a bust so far. (I thought life was supposed to smooth out as you get "older"?!?!) I originally started riding to keep my high blood pressure from exploding my heart! The bike has lowered my BP significantly, so I get to keep my eyes and kidneys. Wink Somehow we find a way to ride no matter what. Keep up the good work!

RichardC

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 5:18pm

Thanks Richard, I started riding just to stay out of my wheelchair permanently and off the cane if at all possible. I still have to sometimes grab the cane, usually early in the day until my legs get warmed up., Now days, I feel like something is missing in the day when I don't go for a ride  Cheesy . I just enjoy the freedom I get while on the bike, the health issues are now a secondary consideration, which to me is truly a victory.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 6:21pm

Good for you! I know about canes and walkers, and that when I'm on my bike I'm "normal" but quiet, when I'm off the bike I'm a gimp that talks funny... Glad to hear you are improving.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 7:52pm

Congrats, Joe! Comparisons to others' speed only matters if you enter races. Otherwise, the only speed comparisons worthy of note are those to your own, and a personal best is always a nice accomplishment.  

We all suffer health setbacks that knock our performance back, too. I'm experiencing that myself, right now. All we can do is come back as we are able, and it sounds like you've done a great job of that.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Turtle

honorary rbent
member &
handcyclist

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2008, 5:26pm

JMan,

You got me beat!  My average speed is usually about 8 mph (on a good day).  Lately, I've only been about 7 or 7.5.  There are good days, and there are no so good days.  Just keep on rollin'!  That's really what counts.

Turtle   Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2008, 1:17pm

Quote from Turtle on Apr 25th, 2008, 5:26pm:
JMan,

You got me beat! My average speed is usually about 8 mph (on a good day). Lately, I've only been about 7 or 7.5. There are good days, and there are no so good days. Just keep on rollin'! That's really what counts.

Turtle Cheesy

Got that right. Speeking of turtles, I saw the coolest turtle yesterday in RLP! It looked like a large lilly pad out of place on the trail. Way cool. I spent nearly my first season at 8mph and had a ball, it's all abgout the lifestyle of being in the bent world, everything else seems to fall into place.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print