Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 27th, 2024, 3:11pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Pedals for a Newbie (Read 4300 times)
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Pedals for a Newbie
Apr 20th, 2008, 5:55pm

I want to get a pair of pedals for Angie.  I have Speedplay Ti, which I love.  They engage and disengage easily.  The downside is that they aren't made for walking, and you really need to pop on the covers when walking (ie at the controls).

What recommendations can you give us?  Angie really is afraid she can't clip in easily, and most importantly, she is afraid she won't be able to unclip and will fall over.  

Come on everyone, the flood gates are open   Shocked

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Pedals for a Newbie
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2008, 5:59pm

For asy of entry, I'd go with the look style.  Not terribly walkable, but there you go.  You can have one but not the other.  Speedplay light action might be a good alternative as well.

Or you can do what some have done and get her regular shimanos with campus pedals - flat on one side and clipless on the other.  You pedal the flat side until you're comfortable enough to clip in.

And get her some mountain bike shoes instead of road shoes if you go with a shimano style - gives her an inch extra heigh to be comfy on the bike and makes waling easy.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2008, 6:48pm

I second the spd pedals with platforms on one side idea. That way, she can clip in for situations where she's confident with the pedals (long stretches without a stop), and just use the platform side in stop-and-go situations. Also, she can do her recumbent take-offs with the platform side until she feels sure enough of her take-off to clip in one foot. It will help her use clipless without a total commitment to them until she's comfortable enough with them. Rose still uses that type pedal.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2008, 6:50pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2008, 6:50pm

Thanks Bud and Greg.  What type of pedals are those, and where can we get them?

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2008, 7:28pm

Quote from bikerteam on Apr 20th, 2008, 6:50pm:
Thanks Bud and Greg. What type of pedals are those, and where can we get them?

I bought Rose the Nashbar Rodeo pedals (which are the same as the Forte Campus pedals Greg mentioned). They're cheap and look cheap. I bought them just as an experiment to see if Rose liked them, intending to get better pedals if she did. But, she's loved them ever since, and they still haven't gotten replaced. These are probably much better pedals.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2008, 8:47pm

Pull whatever pedals she's using on her wedgie and put them on her 'bent. If she's never ridden clipless on a wedgie don't put clipless on her 'bent.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2008, 9:26pm

Quote from Opus the Poet on Apr 20th, 2008, 8:47pm:
Pull whatever pedals she's using on her wedgie and put them on her 'bent. If she's never ridden clipless on a wedgie don't put clipless on her 'bent.

Musty respectfully disagree.  Clipless are MUCH more important on a bent, where the pedal stroke is less efficient and there is the possibility of legsuck.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2008, 9:45pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 20th, 2008, 9:26pm:
Quote from Opus the Poet on Apr 20th, 2008, 8:47pm:

Musty respectfully disagree. Clipless are MUCH more important on a bent, where the pedal stroke is less efficient and there is the possibility of legsuck.

And, gravity can tend to make one's foot fall off the pedal, on any bent except those with the lowest of bottom brackets. That's not a problem on an upright. Some bent riders like platforms or toe clips better anyway, but I think clipless is a much better way to go, right from the start.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2008, 9:46pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2008, 10:08pm

I moved to SPDs some years ago for the walkability factor, and have never had any reason to look back.  Lots of low price alternatives available.  On my commuter I have the SPD / Platform combo that some have mentioned as well.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2008, 6:00am

Thanks everyone.  Angie rode Dura Ace pedals on her DF for years, but has the initial fear of falling with clipless pedals on her bent.  Based on the overwhelming recommendation, we will order the Shimano PDM324 Multi-Purpose from Nashbar that Bud specifically sent the link for.

Have a great week everyone!

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2008, 4:10pm

Ray:  Sorry, I've been out of town and didn't get weigh in, but the pedals you ordered are exactly what I have and I'm very pleased with them.  My main concern was wanting a shoe I could walk in.  I'm sure Angie will like them and won't take long to appreciate being clipped in on a bent.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2008, 7:49pm

I'm late jumping in on this, but I use the dual pedals also, mine are Wellgo brand. I like them for all the above reasons plus this brand has a better setup for adjusting entry and ride show angle. An alternative would be egg beaters and frogs.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 1:18am

I have been riding platform pedals all my life, 'bent or wedgie. I tried to use some Look pedals but because of several leg injuries I don't have the freedom of motion in either leg required to use them on a bike. They now get switched between the trainer and whatever trike I might be working on, as I don't have to worry about unclipping in time to keep either one of those from falling down, although I did see a guy fall off a trainer at a spin class at Bikin' Mike's...

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:53am

I've got an extra set of the Shimano 324 plaform/SPD pedals if you want 'em at a discount... How's $40 sound?  For walkability, I'd definitely recommend the SPDs with mountain bike shoes, or Lake sandals...

PB

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:56am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #14 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 4:12pm

I should have waited one more day and I would have purchased yours.  I orrdered the Shimano 324 from Nashbar yesterday, and they will be here tomorrow.  With tax and shipping, they cost around $90.  Thanks for the offer Paul.

Thanks to everyone who posted.  Now we'll see how Angie does...

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #15 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 7:55pm

Paul, if you still want to sell the pedals, I'll take them. I'm overdue for getting Rose some better pedals.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #16 - Apr 25th, 2008, 9:29am

OK, Bud --
   I'll mail 'em to ya...  if they work out, pay me whenever.

I put Crank Bros. 5050X platform pedals on the Stealth SXP, and rode it last night from Forest/75 to downtown and back.  I gotta say, after almost three years of SPD pedal attachment, riding with platforms instead SUCKS -- especially going up rollers.  I didn't have a problem with my feet slipping off, it's just that I missed the "pull" capability that I'm used to...

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Apr 25th, 2008, 5:40pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 25th, 2008, 9:29am:
OK, Bud --
I'll mail 'em to ya... if they work out, pay me whenever.

I put Crank Bros. 5050X platform pedals on the Stealth SXP, and rode it last night from Forest/75 to downtown and back. I gotta say, after almost three years of SPD pedal attachment, riding with platforms instead SUCKS -- especially going up rollers. I didn't have a problem with my feet slipping off, it's just that I missed the "pull" capability that I'm used to...

PB

I'm glad you mentioned that Paul, I wouldn't have thought of that detail. Shucks, the pull is half of my cadence! I'ld grind to a halt if all I could do was push.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print