Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Jul 3rd, 2024, 9:34am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crusin' The Hood - Granbury (Read 602 times)
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Crusin' The Hood - Granbury
Apr 19th, 2008, 8:02pm

Angie, Aaron (our 13 year old) and I had a great time today.  Angie and Aaron rode the 23 mile, and I started on the 100k route...

It was a mass start, and there were a lot of people, so I was probably around number 100 to start.  The route immediately went south towarads Glen Rose on highway 51, which is non-stop rollers.  Within about 2 miles I caught the lead group and hung on the back.  The first big downhill was coming, so I drifted to the left.  The downhill came and I easily soft peddled my way 100 yards in front of the lead group.  There was probably 50 riders, mostly teams.  At the front was that familiar wave of blue.  At least 10 "Moritz Cadillac JERKS".  They didn't like it that I stormed out in front, especially since I had my ipod blasting from the top of my brain bag (Thanks Steve).

The cat and mouse tactics ensued for roughly 10 miles.  Except on relataively steep climbs, we never rode under 25 mph.  The Moritz guys didn't like me at all and that made it verbally apparent.  I hung towards the rear, so as to not instigate anything...  keep reading.

About 5 miles later was another long descent and I was still lurking near the end of the big peleton and calculataing my next move.  I drifted to the outside and pushed as hard as I could (36mph) down that hill, blasting past the jerks.  This time they reacted to me, and it broke up the peleton big time.  I've never had that effect on a big peleton before.  They chased me down and before the next big climb, I was 200 plus feet ahead, I pulled over just before the rest stop.  I was able to stop, turn my bike towards them and waive while saying "how did it feel to be spanked"?  By this time that group of about 50 riders split to less than 15. When they passed, I don't think they heard me as they were going probably 25mph. Not so much as a glance!  The remainder of the 50 riders came in 3 groups of about 10-12.  Several of those people smiled and waived.

All full of EGO, I turned around till I found Angie and Aaron back at the first rest stop at mile 10.  I rode the rest of the day with Angie and Aaron and enjoyed the wild flowers.  

The organizers had all kinds of food for lunch.  The Moritz guys carried their bikes to lunch, pounding their chests like they were celebrities.  It made me sick, but on the other hand I smiled inside knowing that for 15-20 miles I hung with, and spanked the jerks.  

I really wish some of the other "performance" RBENT riders could have ridden with me.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Crusin' The Hood - Granbury
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2008, 10:26pm

Sorry, was too busy getting spanked by Shellene for 200k.   Shocked

I love busting up big pacelines.  I usually do it uphill, and then when we crest slam it into the big ring and hit 35 before they've even changed gears.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2008, 3:06pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 19th, 2008, 10:26pm:
Sorry, was too busy getting spanked by Shellene for 200k. Shocked

I love busting up big pacelines. I usually do it uphill, and then when we crest slam it into the big ring and hit 35 before they've even changed gears.

Greg ,Shellene & a Tri-guy were the only 2 riders to pass me during my 120 miles at the TTTT's last year.  

Ray ,good report. Glad I could help(even though my XM set-up had nothing to with your riding abilities) Had I not been riding with the MS team this weekend ,I would have ridden Grandbury.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2008, 5:00pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 19th, 2008, 10:26pm:
Sorry, was too busy getting spanked by Shellene for 200k. Shocked

I love busting up big pacelines. I usually do it uphill, and then when we crest slam it into the big ring and hit 35 before they've even changed gears.

Spanked? Was it good for Shellene?

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2008, 9:10am

Quote from bikerteam on Apr 19th, 2008, 8:02pm:
 ...I drifted to the outside and pushed as hard as I could (36mph) down that hill, blasting past the jerks.  This time they reacted to me, and it broke up the peleton big time.  I've never had that effect on a big peleton before.  They chased me down and before the next big climb, I was 200 plus feet ahead, I pulled over just before the rest stop.  I was able to stop, turn my bike towards them and waive while saying "how did it feel to be spanked"?    

You pulled over BEFORE the rest stop???   Oh, man, TWIST that knife!!!!   Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Well done, Sir...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print