Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 7:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
GP2CLE (and back again - a Hobbit's tale) (Read 6532 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

GP2CLE (and back again - a Hobbit's tale)
Apr 12th, 2008, 8:47pm

More later, but for now, to quote Bones Mccoy:

"He's dead, Jim!"

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: GP2CLE (and back again - a Hobbit's tale)
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2008, 9:43pm

If the 20 miles I rode northbound from Palmer to Lancaster at 3PM today was any indication, you folks had a LONG, TOUGH haul for the last 60+ km today...   Sad   Shocked

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2008, 11:08pm

Like our Carbon Aero friend Beertruck told me on a Briar Oaks ride earlier this year ,wind makes you stronger ,chip-seal makes you meaner. Well,I feel both after today's 200k ride(not so much chip seal).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2008, 11:13pm

...and for the record ,Greg rode REALLY strong today. Congrats to EV Blazer on completing his first 200K ,Ray for completing his 2nd consecutive R-12 award , Nelson for organizing a great ride(and ride leader) ,& Peggy rode strong as usual(but passed out from exhaustion in the bedroom).  

It was a very good ride.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2008, 7:29am

Quote from Strada177 on Apr 12th, 2008, 11:13pm:
...(but passed out from exhaustion in the bedroom).

"Exahustion in the bedroom"???   Way to go, STEVE!!!!     Grin

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2008, 11:47am

Grin @ Paul.

Yesterday was fun - until the last 10 miles, when I hit a wall.  Our pace was pretty relaxed, and I don't know if that's why this was the easiest 200k I've ever attempted, but I think it was a combination of things:

1.  Relaxed pace - our end time was 11.5 hours.  Quite a few little stops in the beginning, including everyone taking an extra bbreak so I could get breakfast on the way - thanks Guys.
2.  New mix  - ratio of 4:1 unflavored perpetuem to lemon-lime accellerade.  Tasted like lemon cream pie.  Yummy!
3.  Cool temps
4.  Made sure to reapply sunscreen often - poor Nelson is fried like a pork rind!
5.  Taking a dose of caffeine earlier rather than later.
6.  solid food.  I had a taquito with bacon and egg at lancaster, a chicken sub at rio vista, and a payday protein at cleburne.  I really should have had some solid food at that last gas station we stopped at and didn't.  As a result, I got a little ill on the way home, but the stomach settled by bedtime.
7.  The best company, of course.  Lots of good conversation on and off the bike.

I usually hit a wall around mile 60-70.  My breathing gets shallow and panicky - like my breathing gets restricted.   I noticed on my first 200k that caffeine and sugar open my airways back up and calm me down.  Getting the caffeine pre-emptive at cleburne this time, and again later on, really worked to keep that away.  Instead I didn't hit the wall until we turned off of 157, and was mostly turning the pedals until then.

Definitely the easiest 200k I've done so far, and I think I've proved that I will be able to survive calvin's challenge, so I'm gonna sign myself up for it tonight.  Goal is 200 miles in 12 hours.

I wonder if we'll ever seen poor Evblazer again.  He either wasn't talking much because:
A) We creeped him out (definite possibility) or
B) He was conserving his energy for the road ahead

But the guy held up like a trooper - he could have turned around at any time and stuck it out instead.  The dude has cojones grandes.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2008, 4:01pm

You and all this easiest 200k stuff Tongue Personally it was my hardest 200k. ok fine it was my only 200k and only ride over 75 miles in over a decade and actually my only group ride ever.
Y'all made it very easy on me and provided alot of support and encouragement. I probably would have been worse off turning back early by myself then sticking with everyone so thanks for taking a casual pace. I'm glad I didn't wait for italy to roll around with the looped course since it would have been pretty easy to turn off after the first lap.

As for talking there was some points here and there where my HR was pretty high and I couldn't really talk and breath. Overall though it is probably due to the fact that I'm pretty much a pretty quiet person and keep to myself. Outside of work, till yesterday, I'm pretty sure beside a hello or thank you I haven't talked to anyone since I moved here 4 years ago. Even at work I can go weeks without saying more then hello to someone since everyone I know is gone for one reason or another.

I think the only lasting pain I have is a 1" band just above my knee where my shorts must have slid up or rubbed off the sun screen. So now on my legs I have my heavy tan a dark dark red band and then pure white. I think I'm going to pass on that mountain climbing ride y'all are going on. With gear I easily max out the weight capacity of the giro 26 since I've gained like 15 lbs since I got it?? So hills take alot to ride and I have pretty weak everything so until I drop some weight and don't suck so bad up hills I'll be pretty much a flatlander for longer rides.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2008, 6:40pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 13th, 2008, 7:29am:
Quote from Strada177 on Apr 12th, 2008, 11:13pm:
...(but passed out from exhaustion in the bedroom).

"Exahustion in the bedroom"??? Way to go, STEVE!!!! Grin

If only I could take the credit ,but I like the support anywho!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2008, 8:25pm

Quote from evblazer on Apr 13th, 2008, 4:01pm:

As for talking there was some points here and there where my HR was pretty high and I couldn't really talk and breath. Overall though it is probably due to the fact that I'm pretty much a pretty quiet person and keep to myself. Outside of work, till yesterday, I'm pretty sure beside a hello or thank you I haven't talked to anyone since I moved here 4 years ago. Even at work I can go weeks without saying more then hello to someone since everyone I know is gone for one reason or another.

Well, hanging out will us will certainly fix that!  We're all gabbers.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2008, 8:59pm

A big THANKYOU for making this a great ride guys (and gal).  I had a wonderful time and it is really all about the company!  The wind and the road conditions (and dogs!) were pretty gnarley, and could have spoiled the ride, but not with great folks to talk too!  EVBlazer extremely proud of you for coming out and sailing through your first 200K like a trooper.  I'm new enough to it that I still remember the experience of knowing I was on the longest ride I'd ever done and heading into the unknown of how my body would respond, and would I be able to do it.  I'm sending out the paperwork tomorrow, and will hopefully have some pics back in a day or two.

Thanks!
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2008, 4:29pm

Nelson ,thanks for navigating. We all had cue sheets. That's not fair to ask you to navigate for all of us. I kinda looked at mine periodically. I did navigate the last 20 miles or so(especially during those last few miles thru the neighborhood when doubting Ray said "this isn't the way we came " & I said according to the cue sheet this is how we should be going. And the cue sheet was correct).  

Now I know why the randonneurs call Ray "wrong way ray". Sorry Ray, just messin' with you. Congrats on the R-12 award...AGAIN!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2008, 12:12am

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2008, 9:07am

Is it just my eyesight, or does Mark have on one black sock and one white sock? Do you have another pair just like that one at home, Mark?

« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008, 9:08am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #13 - Apr 15th, 2008, 9:23am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Apr 15th, 2008, 9:07am:
Is it just my eyesight, or does Mark have on one black sock and one white sock? Do you have another pair just like that one at home, Mark?

I wish I was capable of such bold fashion statements  Cheesy
That is just my ankle brace on my recently twisted ankle so the peroneal tendon didn't keep rubbing across my ankle and flare up.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #14 - Apr 15th, 2008, 11:28am

Bud(Eagle eyes) ,if you noticed EV-Blazers brace ,I hope you noticed Greg & I chocking down a "Bud" in your honor? For a beer snobs such as Greg & myself ,that was the ultimate sacrifice(OK, it wasn't horrible ,but I've had a lot better beers).

I wonder if RUSA would approve(drinking & riding)? What happens on a ride ,stays on a ride!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #15 - Apr 15th, 2008, 12:01pm

Quote from Strada177 on Apr 15th, 2008, 11:28am:
Bud(Eagle eyes) ,if you noticed EV-Blazers brace ,I hope you noticed Greg & I chocking down a "Bud" in your honor? For a beer snobs such as Greg & myself ,that was the ultimate sacrifice(OK, it wasn't horrible ,but I've had a lot better beers).

I wonder if RUSA would approve(drinking & riding)? What happens on a ride ,stays on a ride!

I did see that beer photo. Well done, y'all! Were they handing out Killer Bee jerseys at the beginning of the ride?

« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008, 12:03pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #16 - Apr 15th, 2008, 12:16pm

You mean the 3 Stooges?!! Control #3 was handing out Bacchetta jersey's only if you agreed to drink a tall boy.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2008, 4:06pm

Seeing all these B jerseys is getting frustrating.....   Wink

Say, if we formed a TTTT race team with a RANS, a Bacchetta, and Greg's M5, we could be.....

"Team RBM"...   (or NOT)   Cheesy

Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #18 - Apr 15th, 2008, 8:19pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 15th, 2008, 4:06pm:
Seeing all these B jerseys is getting frustrating..... Wink

Say, if we formed a TTTT race team with a RANS, a Bacchetta, and Greg's M5, we could be.....

"Team RBM"... (or NOT) Cheesy

Paul ,I was talking with Ray/Nelson during the permanent ,the TTTT's for '08 does NOT look good. Ray/Nelson could give you more details.  I would not expect to see this event happen unless some changes quickly. Very sad news indeed.

The Killer "B's" are spreading like a virus.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #19 - Apr 16th, 2008, 6:52am

Unless a sponsor is willing to donate thousands of dollars, it's doubtful there will be a 2008 TTTT.  Dan is in the process (as of last week) of contacting the New Hope church to ensure availability the last weekend in September.  He is also reaching out to sponsors.  Once he has that baseline model developed, he'll be in a better position to determine if 2008 TTTT will be a reality.

Back to the GP2CLE event....

I didn't see any mention in this post that every short wheel based Bacchetta was represented at this event.  In early 2006, I was the only bent.  I then recruited Nelson and in '07 we brought in even more bents to Randonneuring.  Awesome, isn't it!
   Giro 26
   Strada  
   Corsa
   Titanium Aero
   Carbon Aero

Like everyone else, I'm honored that Mark finished his first 200k even though that wasn't his original intention.  Great job Mark

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #20 - Apr 16th, 2008, 9:40am

I hadn't thought about that, Ray - interesting observation!  I shared the beer photo with the Bacchetta forum - I hope you don't mind, Nelson, but it was too great to pass up with the 3 B jerseys flying!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #21 - Apr 16th, 2008, 10:50am

Share all you want!  I'm sorry I'm not a better photographer or I'd had you guys get out of the direct sun!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #22 - Apr 21st, 2008, 2:51pm

Hi Guys,

sorry for a public post but this seems the best way to get in touch with the affected riders quickest.
It seems that due to a misunderstanding on my part with Bill Fox, the owner of the GP2CLE route that Greg's, Steve's, Peggy's and Mark's ride results a not being validated.  I was operating under the method with which I'm familiar (that a waiver signed the morning off was sufficient) but it seems that Bill requires a hard copy of the waiver from all participants prior to allowing you to ride on one of his routes.  Here in lies the problem.  Bill refused to validate the ride, but he did copy the permanents coordinator Edward Robinson on the email notification to me of this fact, and myself and Ray have been in discussion with him about the situation.  It seems however that without a formal appeal by you the riders affected that Edward cannot make a decision.  So I was trying to sheild you guys from this, but I now need you if you so desire to write an email to Edward regarding your desire for an appeal.

Here is a copy of the last email from Edward which contains his contact information:

Gentlemen -

First, thank you for your courtesy as we have been discussing the results of this ride.  I know each of you have serious concerns regarding the results validation.

At this point, however, any decision concerning the results would be premature because I have not received a notice of appeal from any rider whose validation was declined by Bill.  It is not clear to me whether those riders even have been informed that their results were rejected.

Between Bill and Nelson I have the following contact information (only) regarding the remaining riders:

Peggy Petty - RUSA #4613
Steve Petty - RUSA #4612 nfwgonzo@yahoo.com
Mark Hastings - No RUSA number
Greg Gross - RUSA #4557, aikigreg@hotmail.com

That alone is of concern to me, as there should be an entry form for each rider with the appropriate contact information.

Bill, Nelson -- I located additional contact information for Peggy and Steve Petty, and for Greg Gross, in RUSA's membership records, but of course none is yet available for Mark Hastings (a new applicant).  I am going to ask that one or the other of you please contact these four riders to let them know the outcome of the ride, and that they have the option of appealing the result.  Please decide between the two of you who will take care of this.  If the affected riders would like to appeal, they should do so in writing -- an e-mail to me is fine.  Having contacted them, please confirm to me that they were notified, and when.

Greg Gross:        817-492-9438
Steve Petty:        972-335-5730
Peggy Petty:      972-335-5730, mrsstrada@yahoo.com

Unless I receive a notice of appeal from one of the riders whose results were declined, I will have to consider this closed.

In the meantime, I will get back to you, Ray, regarding your question about waivers, and to you, Nelson, regarding your routes.

Regards,

- Edward

Edward Robinson
Permanents Coordinator
Randonneurs USA
rusapermanents@gmail.com

Explore RUSA Permanents

My apologies on all this,  I seriously doubt I'll be hosting anymore rides, as this is sucking the joy out of riding my bike in a big way.

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2008, 2:53pm by Kwijybow »  

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #23 - Apr 21st, 2008, 3:10pm

Oh ,I'll write an e-mail. I would love to tell Bill Fox to ride his route & see how lousy the roads are on this route. Nelson, I'm sorry this has fallen on your shoulders. I love randonnuering ,but some of the RUSA folks take themselves way too serious. It's cycling  ,not sub-atomic physics. It ain't that difficult.

The waiver procedure should be uniform from route owner to route owner.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #24 - Apr 21st, 2008, 3:41pm

What should I tell Bill, other than that "i appeal!"?  I mean, we have receipt to prove we rode the sucker, as well as photo documentation outside of some of the controls.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #25 - Apr 21st, 2008, 3:44pm

Bill? I thought that we needed to contact Edward.
If I reading this correctly the problem was since they didnt' already have a hard copy of our signature on a liability form before we started we weren't allowed to ride so we may have riddin the roads but we didn't ride the permanent?

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2008, 3:45pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #26 - Apr 21st, 2008, 3:46pm

Actually I really don't recommend talking with Bill at all, I'd just email Edward and let him know you would in fact like to appeal for your result to be validated.  By the way I did let Bill know that the roads were seriously deteriorated from the gas well traffic.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #27 - Apr 21st, 2008, 3:49pm

I just sent a general e-mail to Edward Robinson. I just asked for him to reconsider & validate the permanent for the riders. I love riding with Nelson & Ray(& you too Greg) ,but as someone who is new to randonnuering ,Nelson/ Ray's experience & general knowledge are invaluable.  

If they aren't leading permanents , Peggy & I probably won't be riding permanents either.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #28 - Apr 21st, 2008, 3:52pm

Hi Steve,

Ray brought up the issue of waiver uniformity with Edward, and so hopefully this will help codify that so that this kind of thing will not happen to someone else.  I can attest for a fact that it will not happen to me again, as this is about the last straw with me and RUSA legalism, I ride my bike for fun and recreation when not riding for transportation purposes.  I just wish it had only affected me, and not you folks.  For that I sincerely apologize.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #29 - Apr 21st, 2008, 4:05pm

done.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #30 - Apr 21st, 2008, 4:06pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Apr 21st, 2008, 3:52pm:
Hi Steve,

Ray brought up the issue of waiver uniformity with Edward, and so hopefully this will help codify that so that this kind of thing will not happen to someone else.  I can attest for a fact that it will not happen to me again, as this is about the last straw with me and RUSA legalism, I ride my bike for fun and recreation when not riding for transportation purposes.  I just wish it had only affected me, and not you folks.  For that I sincerely apologize.

Take Care,
Nelson.

No need to apologize.  Regardless of their head-up-their-butt ego trip, I had a great ride with my friends.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #31 - Apr 21st, 2008, 4:06pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Apr 21st, 2008, 3:52pm:
Hi Steve,

Ray brought up the issue of waiver uniformity with Edward, and so hopefully this will help codify that so that this kind of thing will not happen to someone else. I can attest for a fact that it will not happen to me again, as this is about the last straw with me and RUSA legalism, I ride my bike for fun and recreation when not riding for transportation purposes. I just wish it had only affected me, and not you folks. For that I sincerely apologize.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Nelson ,you have nothing to apologize about. You are 100% correct on all fronts. Riding should be FUN & recreational & the RUSA legalism(another term for BS) is a farce. If Bill would only show half the concern over the safety of his routes & less over the waiver issue .

I don't get it. Bill knew we were riding the route ,why didn't he tell you then that he requires a hard copy ,signed waiver from? And I guess a persons plans can't change. What happens if someone shows up at the last second without time to notify Bill & precious little waiver form?  

I feel bad for EV Blazer ,what a way to get introduced to RUSA. Nice going RUSA.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #32 - Apr 21st, 2008, 5:56pm

Everyone, I feel absolutely terrible.  Both Nelson and I have sent multiple e-mails to both Bill and Edward this week.  Most of all, I'm so sorry for Mark, as this is not the way 99% of the RUSA events are run.  

Here is the issue my friends. A signed RUSA waiver provides insurance for the riders.  There is some type of legal stipulation that if there is a single rider who is not a RUSA membeer, then none of the riders completion will be validated, and there are insurance ramifications to RUSA.  I believe that some time last year that Bill allowed a group to ride, and trusted the route sponsor (like Nelson for our ride) to validate each rider's RUSA membership.  Because one of the riders wasn't a member, it held up validation for months, and sparked a lot of (shall I say) interesting bantering on the LSR forum.  

My suggestion is that each of you send a appeal e-mail to Edward, requesting that your ride be validated.

note to Mark.  One of the benefits of having a ride validated is that you earn mileage awards at the end of the year as well as the coveret R12.

I love you guys,
and hope that you can accept my apologies as I accept equal responsibility.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #33 - Apr 21st, 2008, 6:49pm

Ray ,as I wrote in my post to Nelson ,no apologies are necessary from yourself or Nelson. RUSA can make this right by doing the right thing. I have written Edward already.  

And if this sways you & Nelson from riding/leading permanents ,then I'll ride elsewhere. I don't RUSA to ride.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #34 - Apr 21st, 2008, 7:47pm

See that is what you get for being nice to the new guy  Wink Hopefully Rays R12, Gregs 200k credit for RAAM and everyone elses goes through ok.

I sent a brief nice note to edward appealing the decision on my ride. I did mention to edward that if my pending membership was a problem then I was fine with that and I plan on being out there again regardless.

It was my first ride ever ride with anyone except my wife over tens of thousands of miles going all the way back to when I was oh 15 or so. It was my first century in over a decade and my first 200k whether they count it or not. I got to meet all you nice folks which makes it a little easier going to any future events/rides so it was well worth it to me.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #35 - Apr 21st, 2008, 9:07pm

Quote from evblazer on Apr 21st, 2008, 7:47pm:
See that is what you get for being nice to the new guy Wink Hopefully Rays R12, Gregs 200k credit for RAAM and everyone elses goes through ok.

I sent a brief nice note to edward appealing the decision on my ride. I did mention to edward that if my pending membership was a problem then I was fine with that and I plan on being out there again regardless.

It was my first ride ever ride with anyone except my wife over tens of thousands of miles going all the way back to when I was oh 15 or so. It was my first century in over a decade and my first 200k whether they count it or not. I got to meet all you nice folks which makes it a little easier going to any future events/rides so it was well worth it to me.

Mark. I agree 100% especially with the point about riding with friends. Personally ,I really don't care if they count the ride for Peggy & myself(good training miles) ,but I want to get credit for his R-12 award.

For myself ,this all about a principal.  RUSA is essential penalizing the riders who rode that permanent for their own inconsistencies regarding  liability waivers.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #36 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 1:38pm

I'll be interested in knowing how this plays out for those that rode.  I've just about got things tightened up around the house & work is starting to slow down to where I can participate in some of these 200K's.  I've a question or two though.  Do I have to have to be a RUSA member to do these?  I mean, I'd like to check it out a couple of times at least before deciding on spending $ to join.  I'll sign a waiver if needed, I've got insurance if that is of a concern.  Whens the next 200K?  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #37 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 2:15pm

From all of this I am sure it would have been best if I had gotten the $20 in and received get the card before going. It is just as cheap or cheaper then most pay rides and a different experience.  I've only done 2 pay rides (HHH 07' and Aledo 08') and one 200k so I'm far from an expert on the topic.  

I can't speak to whether or not you could ride along to try it out while not officially being part of the ride. They are on public roads afterall but who knows if there is some rule that someone could potentially site which could affect the other official riders. If you had any long term plans to ride a really long ride, series of rides or get an R12 (12 months in a row 200k or longer) you'll make sure you don't lose credit for your first few 200k rides you did.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #38 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 4:31pm

DJ - we'd love for you to join us.  I suggest you contact Dan Driscoll. Dan is the local area RBA (Regional Brevet Administrator) and an really great guy, and excellent advocate for everything cycling. To get answers to all you questions, Call Dan at (817) 460-5734

The link is the main web site for Lone Star Randonneurs (LSR)
http://lonestarrandon.tripod.com/

note to those of us who rode GP2CLE.  I you have the opportunity to e-mail Edward again, mention the fact that you were not told that a waiver must be signed in advance.  You can't be held responsible for something you did't know.  I believe that RUSA rules state that the ride sponsor must obtain waiver signatures from each rider prior to the start of the ride.  Bill and a few others created posts earlier this year requiring advange waivers.  But this is up to interpretation.  BOTTOM LINE, TELL EDWARD THAT SINCE THE RULES DON'T REQUIRE YOU TO SIGN THE WAIVER AND SUBMIT IT TO THE ROUTE OWNER PRIOR TO THE START OF THE RIDE, THEN YOU SHOULD BE GIVEN CREDIT, PERIOD.[color=#cc0000][/color]

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #39 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 5:40pm

Quote from Rawhide on Apr 22nd, 2008, 1:38pm:
I'll be interested in knowing how this plays out for those that rode. I've just about got things tightened up around the house & work is starting to slow down to where I can participate in some of these 200K's. I've a question or two though. Do I have to have to be a RUSA member to do these? I mean, I'd like to check it out a couple of times at least before deciding on spending $ to join. I'll sign a waiver if needed, I've got insurance if that is of a concern. Whens the next 200K? DJ

DJ ,as I understand ,to receive credit for these rides you have to be RUSA & Lone Star Ranndouer member. BUT I could be wrong ,so I will defer to others that are more knowledgeable about the topic than myself.

Ray ,I just e-mailed Edward. He wanted to know the sequence of events of how I heard about the ride & how we did not sign the insurance waiver ahead of time. Blah ,blah ,blah. What's next  ,a board of inquiry?

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #40 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:17pm

From what I understand DJ you must be a RUSA member to participate (for insurance purposes.)  Regarding our ride, the method of pre-ride morning waiver signing has been sufficient for every permanent I've done up to this point.  I would have to point out to Edward that I in fact have not completed *ANY* permanents correctly if he upholds Bill's position completely.  However I guess he could rule that it is completely up to the owner, and we're screwed, except that as far as I can tell Bill never mentioned it anywhere but in the post Ray mentions to the LSR board, which I never read until today searching for it.  I must say I don't read all those posts, especially after the bickering between Mark and Other's started last year.  I reviewed the emails I received from Bill and they mention nothing about it, so I have no reason to think I just missed it.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #41 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:10pm

DJ, if you want to try out this style of riding without joining RUSA, pick one of the populaires this summer. They are shorter than 200k, don't require any membership, but are done in the same style as brevets, so you can see if you like that style of riding. There are a couple of July populaires on this schedule (look at the rides that are less than 200k).

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:11pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #42 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:36pm

I appreciate all the info provided thus far.  Seems to be an issue to some about receiving credit for doing a 200K or longer ride and being a member of RUSA.  It's kind of stupid to me, to make one pay to join, prior to that one having the benefit of trying it out to see if it fits.  I don't care about credit for the ride if I'm simply exploring this  type of event to see if it's for me.  I just wanna do a couple with y'all and see how I do.  I'm more than willing to join RUSA if my performance measures up to my & y'alls collective scrutiny and that I'm not a hindrance to anyone else's ride.  DJ      

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #43 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:41pm

DJ despite the current issues, the LSR group and randonneurs in general are extremely supportive.  There is no real measuring up, these rides are lot more about self management than pure speed.  Even in my short tenure I've seen some very fast riders have tremendous trouble finishing due to mismangement of food or water intake (clothing or gear problems too), whereas someone who might be slow but ride within themselves can finish close to the time limit feeling strong and proud of their accomplishment.  There are a a lot of riders who like to push themselves, and get the validation for finishing that RUSA provides with various awards and medals, and there are others (myself I suppose) that go for the social aspects, and the experience of the ride.  I've yet to apply for a medal or award, but there is certainly nothing wrong with that.  I do like the sport of randonneuring, and it is a game so I don't take it too seriously.  I'm sure after my feelings about this ride pass I will continue to enjoy RUSA rides in the future.   As far as money goes it is an excellent deal.  I end up spending much more money on food than about anything else.  I carry some food but usually buy along the route, and that adds up.  Besides the gas to get to the ride it is my largest expense.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #44 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:29pm

Come join us, DJ.  You'll have a blast.  The LSR gang is cool, with 2 notable exceptions.  Apparently Bill Fox has just gotten a Napoleonic Complex.

here is my current draft reply.  Tell me if I've left anything out:

We have a recumbent club that has an online forum.  I had been signed up for a pay ride when Ray Torrey and Nelson Ralls posted a message that they were doing the permanent.  I mentioned that if I could arrange it, and if my baseball coaching didn't keep me out until 2am, I'd love to do the ride, but wouldn't know until last minute.  Nelson said he'd get copies of everything for me so I could ride.  

I never thought it'd be an issue since I've just showed up to brevets and populaires unannounced and rode before.  I had no idea there was any difference in protocol.  Nor any reason to expect so, since the permanent owner knew the route was being ridden that day.  

It is unfair for each member to have to jump through different hoops for different rides.  Same rules should apply.  As I understand it, RUSA rules state that waivers must be signed prior to the ride and turned in to the ride leader, and that's what all of us have done.  I've talked to other members and they've never had to do anything different from what we've done, and they've all been given credit.  I can't even find any mention of requirements that everything must be proved in advance.  Here are the links to the texas permanents site as well as the waiver.  I can find no place where it specifically states that one must have the waiver signed and approved in advnace.

http://www.texaspermanents.org/route.php?rusa_number=128

http://www.texaspermanents.org/files/waiver/GP2CLE%20waiver.pdf

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #45 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 7:38am

The only place I find it mentioned is on the lsr google group
http://groups.google.com/group/Talk2LSR/browse_thread/thread/84508fcc2d0ef417/fb e6b56c133bf0f8?lnk=gst&q=liability#fbe6b56c133bf0f8
Which I mean really. We'd need to have had a crystal ball to known to have looked there before the ride. If Bill Fox wants to have special rules, if he can at all, he needs to make it clearly stated in every communication and every form that a person can get for his rides. RUSA needs to make it clear also that all owners can make up their own rules and to really make sure they make it clear that owners can have special rules on all their forms and pages also.  
That is all pretty silly though. RUSA should be standard like you said unless there are special rules needed due to State or Local laws.

edited due to my brain not functioning.

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2008, 7:43am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #46 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 7:39am

Greg ,I like it. I basically said the same thing in my e-mail to Edward. I was never told that we had to have a hard copy waiver signed & returned to the route owner before the ride.

And I also mentioned the lack of uniformity between the route owners on his issue. Essential ,we're being penalized for their lack of consistency on the waiver issue. Fix this & we wouldn't be discussing this right now ,especially when this issue occurred last year.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #47 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:17am

Greg (et all) - your text is exactly what needs to be said.  Additionally, and my next statement is directed primarily at Nelson as the sponsor of this particular Permanent...

Nelson - Whilie we all certainly want to put this issue to finalization, here's a suggestion, and what I believe to be the "key" piece of documented supportive evidence (since Edward is an Attorney).  If Bill didn't specifically mandate all riders must sign the waiver and return the signed waiver to him, prior to the ride, then Bill, nor Edward can withhold awarding the ride to eveyone since the RUSA rules do not mandate this requirement.

Nelson my suggestion to you as the ride sponsor, is to send an e-mail to Edward (and even copy Bill and all of us).  Specifically state that in Bill's approval e-mail to you with the documents attached, BILL DID NOT mention the waiver requirement for pre-signatures from all riders. I'm sure Edward would/should agree that each LSR member is not required to read the posts on the forum where Bill and others discussed this last year.  The only "true rules, are what is in the RUSA bylaws.  That is the undisputed truth  Grin

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #48 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:24am

I found this older post of LSR's forum(dated Jan 3,2008) from Bill Fox regarding this subject.

Subject: Guidelines for the New Year on my Permanents

There's been quite a flurry of discussion lately on the RUSA list for
Permanent owners and RBAs regarding waivers and liability.  With the
start of the New Year and the recent introduction of Jorge's most
excellent Texas Permanent Clearinghouse Website (http://colourprep.com/
cycling/perms/index.php), I thought the time was right to clearly
communicate my expectations for those wishing to participate in the
Permanents I manage.

#1 - All participants must be a current RUSA member.  I will not
accept requests from those with "pending" memberships.  My routes are
available all year, so there's plenty of time to ride them once you
have (or re-activate) your membership.  If you ride with a group, it
is in your interest to ensure everyone has a current RUSA number.
Should I happen to discover that a non-RUSA member rode with the
group, I will disqualify the entire group.

#2 - I will be STRICTLY following RUSA's Rules for Riders and RUSA's
Rules for Permanent Riders. It is my understanding that RUSA currently
only requires one receipt per group as proof of passage. If you arrive
at a control with a group and do NOT get a receipt, you must indicate
on your card who will have the receipt for that control.  If you
arrive solo at a control and lose that receipt, consider it training
mileage.  Also, please note that I must receive completed Permanent
cards within 10 days of completion.

#3 - I will now require having a physical waiver in hand from each
rider BEFORE the start of the ride.  Waivers for all my routes are
available at the Texas Permanents Website, as well as the Files
section (http://groups.google.com/group/Talk2LSR/files) of this
Group.  I am also quite happy to send one upon request.  There were
too many times last year when the waiver for the group was not
returned promptly, risking the validation for everyone.

#4 - I will assess the $5 ride fee UNLESS you agree to the following:
     a.  You will be responsible for printing the cue sheet and
control card I send you.
     b.  You include a self addressed, stamped envelope so that I can
promptly return your validated card.

I fully expect there will be some that find the above expectations
unduly harsh, restrictive, and unfair.  Believe it or not, I'm
somewhat sympathetic to that viewpoint.  However, as the region that
has the most Permanent participation in RUSA (in 2007, of the ~1500
Permanents Results reported to RUSA, LSR rode ~425, nearly 4 times as
many as any other club), I think it is incumbent upon us to set a
standard that is above reproach and can deliver results that can
withstand the closest scrutiny.

I'm happy to address any questions or concerns.   Please know that my
intent is not to make it difficult to ride one of my permanents, but
to guarantee the validity of it once you finish.

Bill

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #49 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:42am

I just sent Edward the email below:

Hi Edward,  

I'm including the email exchanges I had with Bill up to the notification that  
you received as well.  I didn't see anything in there that made me think that I  
had to do anything differently than I did when I rode this route the previous  
year, so I can say I didn't just miss his instructions about the waiver.  I have  
since found a post he put on the LSR board, but I do not and have not read all  
those posts, and certainly had not read it prior to this permanent.  If I had I  
would have chosen another permanent route and not bothered Bill.  

Here is the email starting with my orginal request and his reply, and his  
sending me the documentation after receiving my mailed waiver.  Last year when I  
rode this route I had faxed it to him, and had included the waiver for the  
additional rider with our cards when we were through exactly as this year.  If  
Bill is going to change his requirements I feel he should have made it more  
clear in the initial email response to my request to ride the route, and not  
count on people reading the LSR forum posts.  The emails are in reverse  
chronological order:  

Please find attached the cue and card for the GP2CLE permanent.  If you have  
previously ridden this route, please note that the course has changed due to new  
road construction.  Most importantly, the far point control has been moved  
further north to the intersection of Nolan River Road and FM-4 (past the high  
school).  

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.  

Bill  

Open Attachment GP2CLE Cue.xls  

Open Attachment GP2CLE Permanent Card - NR4-12.pdf  

I'll need a signed waiver (http://tinyurl.com/2ny62t) in hand before releasing  
the cards and cue.  Catch up with me this weekend or mail it.  If you have  
ridden this route before, be aware that the route has changed due to new road  
development.  Most importantly, the far control is now north of the high school  
at the corner of FM4 and Nolan River Road.  

Bill  

----- Original Message ----  
To: billfox@sbcglobal.net  
Cc: ray.torrey: verizon.com <ray.torrey@verizon.com>  
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:23:57 AM  
Subject: GP2CLE Permanet 04/12/2008 0800  

Hi Bill,  

Ray and I would like to ride this 4/12 starting at 0800 if you don't mind.  
Let me know what you need ( i.e. faxed waver etc).  

Thanks,  
Nelson.  

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #50 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:26pm

Nelson , now that's what I call a smoking gun. I understand Edward Robinson is an attorney. Let's put that e-mail that you posted in context he could understand.

Nelson says in court..."Mr Counselor .,let me present Exhibit "A"(his e-mail to Bill Fox) !!   The judge's gavel slams down "Case closed"! "The state awards Mr. Ralls ,etal $1 million in compensatory damages"(sorry ,I got carried away with the last paragraph).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #51 - Apr 28th, 2008, 10:43pm

results validated!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #52 - Apr 28th, 2008, 10:51pm

Yes. Thanks to  Nelson & Ray for their help in this matter.  I want to say a lot more about the route owner ,but why bother? I just won't ride his routes. This is water under the bridge.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #53 - Apr 29th, 2008, 6:05am

Steve, you're right... mission accomplished   Cool

99% of the LSR and Randonnuering community are awesome.  They are like family because in this sport, we really have to "take care of our own".  

Edward came to the correct conclusion, and I personally have to agree with his "audit" of our next Perm, because I know that each rider is responsible for acquiring receipts from each control.  Unfortunetly, there are dishonest people, and this is the only way to ensure 100% of the route is ridden by each rider.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print