Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
GP2CLE (and back again - a Hobbit's tale) (Read 6560 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: GP2CLE (and back again - a Hobbit's tale)
Reply #30 - Apr 21st, 2008, 4:06pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Apr 21st, 2008, 3:52pm:
Hi Steve,

Ray brought up the issue of waiver uniformity with Edward, and so hopefully this will help codify that so that this kind of thing will not happen to someone else.  I can attest for a fact that it will not happen to me again, as this is about the last straw with me and RUSA legalism, I ride my bike for fun and recreation when not riding for transportation purposes.  I just wish it had only affected me, and not you folks.  For that I sincerely apologize.

Take Care,
Nelson.

No need to apologize.  Regardless of their head-up-their-butt ego trip, I had a great ride with my friends.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #31 - Apr 21st, 2008, 4:06pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Apr 21st, 2008, 3:52pm:
Hi Steve,

Ray brought up the issue of waiver uniformity with Edward, and so hopefully this will help codify that so that this kind of thing will not happen to someone else. I can attest for a fact that it will not happen to me again, as this is about the last straw with me and RUSA legalism, I ride my bike for fun and recreation when not riding for transportation purposes. I just wish it had only affected me, and not you folks. For that I sincerely apologize.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Nelson ,you have nothing to apologize about. You are 100% correct on all fronts. Riding should be FUN & recreational & the RUSA legalism(another term for BS) is a farce. If Bill would only show half the concern over the safety of his routes & less over the waiver issue .

I don't get it. Bill knew we were riding the route ,why didn't he tell you then that he requires a hard copy ,signed waiver from? And I guess a persons plans can't change. What happens if someone shows up at the last second without time to notify Bill & precious little waiver form?  

I feel bad for EV Blazer ,what a way to get introduced to RUSA. Nice going RUSA.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #32 - Apr 21st, 2008, 5:56pm

Everyone, I feel absolutely terrible.  Both Nelson and I have sent multiple e-mails to both Bill and Edward this week.  Most of all, I'm so sorry for Mark, as this is not the way 99% of the RUSA events are run.  

Here is the issue my friends. A signed RUSA waiver provides insurance for the riders.  There is some type of legal stipulation that if there is a single rider who is not a RUSA membeer, then none of the riders completion will be validated, and there are insurance ramifications to RUSA.  I believe that some time last year that Bill allowed a group to ride, and trusted the route sponsor (like Nelson for our ride) to validate each rider's RUSA membership.  Because one of the riders wasn't a member, it held up validation for months, and sparked a lot of (shall I say) interesting bantering on the LSR forum.  

My suggestion is that each of you send a appeal e-mail to Edward, requesting that your ride be validated.

note to Mark.  One of the benefits of having a ride validated is that you earn mileage awards at the end of the year as well as the coveret R12.

I love you guys,
and hope that you can accept my apologies as I accept equal responsibility.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #33 - Apr 21st, 2008, 6:49pm

Ray ,as I wrote in my post to Nelson ,no apologies are necessary from yourself or Nelson. RUSA can make this right by doing the right thing. I have written Edward already.  

And if this sways you & Nelson from riding/leading permanents ,then I'll ride elsewhere. I don't RUSA to ride.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #34 - Apr 21st, 2008, 7:47pm

See that is what you get for being nice to the new guy  Wink Hopefully Rays R12, Gregs 200k credit for RAAM and everyone elses goes through ok.

I sent a brief nice note to edward appealing the decision on my ride. I did mention to edward that if my pending membership was a problem then I was fine with that and I plan on being out there again regardless.

It was my first ride ever ride with anyone except my wife over tens of thousands of miles going all the way back to when I was oh 15 or so. It was my first century in over a decade and my first 200k whether they count it or not. I got to meet all you nice folks which makes it a little easier going to any future events/rides so it was well worth it to me.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #35 - Apr 21st, 2008, 9:07pm

Quote from evblazer on Apr 21st, 2008, 7:47pm:
See that is what you get for being nice to the new guy Wink Hopefully Rays R12, Gregs 200k credit for RAAM and everyone elses goes through ok.

I sent a brief nice note to edward appealing the decision on my ride. I did mention to edward that if my pending membership was a problem then I was fine with that and I plan on being out there again regardless.

It was my first ride ever ride with anyone except my wife over tens of thousands of miles going all the way back to when I was oh 15 or so. It was my first century in over a decade and my first 200k whether they count it or not. I got to meet all you nice folks which makes it a little easier going to any future events/rides so it was well worth it to me.

Mark. I agree 100% especially with the point about riding with friends. Personally ,I really don't care if they count the ride for Peggy & myself(good training miles) ,but I want to get credit for his R-12 award.

For myself ,this all about a principal.  RUSA is essential penalizing the riders who rode that permanent for their own inconsistencies regarding  liability waivers.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #36 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 1:38pm

I'll be interested in knowing how this plays out for those that rode.  I've just about got things tightened up around the house & work is starting to slow down to where I can participate in some of these 200K's.  I've a question or two though.  Do I have to have to be a RUSA member to do these?  I mean, I'd like to check it out a couple of times at least before deciding on spending $ to join.  I'll sign a waiver if needed, I've got insurance if that is of a concern.  Whens the next 200K?  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #37 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 2:15pm

From all of this I am sure it would have been best if I had gotten the $20 in and received get the card before going. It is just as cheap or cheaper then most pay rides and a different experience.  I've only done 2 pay rides (HHH 07' and Aledo 08') and one 200k so I'm far from an expert on the topic.  

I can't speak to whether or not you could ride along to try it out while not officially being part of the ride. They are on public roads afterall but who knows if there is some rule that someone could potentially site which could affect the other official riders. If you had any long term plans to ride a really long ride, series of rides or get an R12 (12 months in a row 200k or longer) you'll make sure you don't lose credit for your first few 200k rides you did.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #38 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 4:31pm

DJ - we'd love for you to join us.  I suggest you contact Dan Driscoll. Dan is the local area RBA (Regional Brevet Administrator) and an really great guy, and excellent advocate for everything cycling. To get answers to all you questions, Call Dan at (817) 460-5734

The link is the main web site for Lone Star Randonneurs (LSR)
http://lonestarrandon.tripod.com/

note to those of us who rode GP2CLE.  I you have the opportunity to e-mail Edward again, mention the fact that you were not told that a waiver must be signed in advance.  You can't be held responsible for something you did't know.  I believe that RUSA rules state that the ride sponsor must obtain waiver signatures from each rider prior to the start of the ride.  Bill and a few others created posts earlier this year requiring advange waivers.  But this is up to interpretation.  BOTTOM LINE, TELL EDWARD THAT SINCE THE RULES DON'T REQUIRE YOU TO SIGN THE WAIVER AND SUBMIT IT TO THE ROUTE OWNER PRIOR TO THE START OF THE RIDE, THEN YOU SHOULD BE GIVEN CREDIT, PERIOD.[color=#cc0000][/color]

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #39 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 5:40pm

Quote from Rawhide on Apr 22nd, 2008, 1:38pm:
I'll be interested in knowing how this plays out for those that rode. I've just about got things tightened up around the house & work is starting to slow down to where I can participate in some of these 200K's. I've a question or two though. Do I have to have to be a RUSA member to do these? I mean, I'd like to check it out a couple of times at least before deciding on spending $ to join. I'll sign a waiver if needed, I've got insurance if that is of a concern. Whens the next 200K? DJ

DJ ,as I understand ,to receive credit for these rides you have to be RUSA & Lone Star Ranndouer member. BUT I could be wrong ,so I will defer to others that are more knowledgeable about the topic than myself.

Ray ,I just e-mailed Edward. He wanted to know the sequence of events of how I heard about the ride & how we did not sign the insurance waiver ahead of time. Blah ,blah ,blah. What's next  ,a board of inquiry?

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #40 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:17pm

From what I understand DJ you must be a RUSA member to participate (for insurance purposes.)  Regarding our ride, the method of pre-ride morning waiver signing has been sufficient for every permanent I've done up to this point.  I would have to point out to Edward that I in fact have not completed *ANY* permanents correctly if he upholds Bill's position completely.  However I guess he could rule that it is completely up to the owner, and we're screwed, except that as far as I can tell Bill never mentioned it anywhere but in the post Ray mentions to the LSR board, which I never read until today searching for it.  I must say I don't read all those posts, especially after the bickering between Mark and Other's started last year.  I reviewed the emails I received from Bill and they mention nothing about it, so I have no reason to think I just missed it.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #41 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:10pm

DJ, if you want to try out this style of riding without joining RUSA, pick one of the populaires this summer. They are shorter than 200k, don't require any membership, but are done in the same style as brevets, so you can see if you like that style of riding. There are a couple of July populaires on this schedule (look at the rides that are less than 200k).

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:11pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #42 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:36pm

I appreciate all the info provided thus far.  Seems to be an issue to some about receiving credit for doing a 200K or longer ride and being a member of RUSA.  It's kind of stupid to me, to make one pay to join, prior to that one having the benefit of trying it out to see if it fits.  I don't care about credit for the ride if I'm simply exploring this  type of event to see if it's for me.  I just wanna do a couple with y'all and see how I do.  I'm more than willing to join RUSA if my performance measures up to my & y'alls collective scrutiny and that I'm not a hindrance to anyone else's ride.  DJ      

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #43 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:41pm

DJ despite the current issues, the LSR group and randonneurs in general are extremely supportive.  There is no real measuring up, these rides are lot more about self management than pure speed.  Even in my short tenure I've seen some very fast riders have tremendous trouble finishing due to mismangement of food or water intake (clothing or gear problems too), whereas someone who might be slow but ride within themselves can finish close to the time limit feeling strong and proud of their accomplishment.  There are a a lot of riders who like to push themselves, and get the validation for finishing that RUSA provides with various awards and medals, and there are others (myself I suppose) that go for the social aspects, and the experience of the ride.  I've yet to apply for a medal or award, but there is certainly nothing wrong with that.  I do like the sport of randonneuring, and it is a game so I don't take it too seriously.  I'm sure after my feelings about this ride pass I will continue to enjoy RUSA rides in the future.   As far as money goes it is an excellent deal.  I end up spending much more money on food than about anything else.  I carry some food but usually buy along the route, and that adds up.  Besides the gas to get to the ride it is my largest expense.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #44 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:29pm

Come join us, DJ.  You'll have a blast.  The LSR gang is cool, with 2 notable exceptions.  Apparently Bill Fox has just gotten a Napoleonic Complex.

here is my current draft reply.  Tell me if I've left anything out:

We have a recumbent club that has an online forum.  I had been signed up for a pay ride when Ray Torrey and Nelson Ralls posted a message that they were doing the permanent.  I mentioned that if I could arrange it, and if my baseball coaching didn't keep me out until 2am, I'd love to do the ride, but wouldn't know until last minute.  Nelson said he'd get copies of everything for me so I could ride.  

I never thought it'd be an issue since I've just showed up to brevets and populaires unannounced and rode before.  I had no idea there was any difference in protocol.  Nor any reason to expect so, since the permanent owner knew the route was being ridden that day.  

It is unfair for each member to have to jump through different hoops for different rides.  Same rules should apply.  As I understand it, RUSA rules state that waivers must be signed prior to the ride and turned in to the ride leader, and that's what all of us have done.  I've talked to other members and they've never had to do anything different from what we've done, and they've all been given credit.  I can't even find any mention of requirements that everything must be proved in advance.  Here are the links to the texas permanents site as well as the waiver.  I can find no place where it specifically states that one must have the waiver signed and approved in advnace.

http://www.texaspermanents.org/route.php?rusa_number=128

http://www.texaspermanents.org/files/waiver/GP2CLE%20waiver.pdf

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print